• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Does anyone have any tips for hunting coyotes? Are the predator calls worth the purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    165 is Darlington Rd, right? They are all over the whole area. Plenty of red foxes too, which is weird as anything, as usually coyotes kill them off/run them out to where you would only find red foxes in towns. I guess this region has so many red foxes that the coyotes can't keep up with them lol. I'd say the reds have learned how to live around coyotes and pass the knowledge on to their pups. How else can I catch a bunch of red foxes with coyote sign all over the place?

Pics are coyote track in snow ( was in the alley behind my house of all places), yote track in mud, and yote poop behind my set, the same set the one fox was killed in by a yote. It is basically like fox poop but a bit bigger.

165 is basically an extension of Long Green Pike
    Runs thru west side if forest hill and straight thru Jarrettsville.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Chesapeake, we should work on getting permission on those properties we spoke about.

Anyone ever run into any issues hunting at night? As far as gun shots and someone calling the police?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I didn't take pics, but I was resetting my one farm and saw where a red fox or red foxes stamped all around this spot, and next to it the same with coyote tracks. There was an old fox turd there too and a very small tuft of grass. Looked like the foxes and coyotes were having a pissing contest, literally? Like the tuft was a urine post. They mark just like dogs. My 3 old sets all had newer fox poops at them.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Chesapeake, we should work on getting permission on those properties we spoke about.

Anyone ever run into any issues hunting at night? As far as gun shots and someone calling the police?

I wish you luck if you try hitting up Olney's. Ami is a real pita sometimes.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    Coyotes have taken over APG and deer numbers have plummeted over the past few years. We see them playing around in the fields in the middle of the day. Early bow season a buddy had one chase a doe around his stand. We routinely hear packs of them yelping.
    I work in the downrange areas at APG and I have seen several coyotes in the last ten years that would give my 80 pound German Shepherd a run for his money. They are definitely keeping the deer on their toes. There are still plenty of deer to jump in front of your car at 0530 though!

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    We have them out at our place in Reisterstown. We just started seeing them and hearing them this year, but they've been here awhile. I just told one of my hunters who is also on here I wonder if the deer population is down as I'm not seeing as many yearlings as I used to, big deer yes, but small ones, not many. We have sheep and a horse, a few years back the sheep lost all their lambs to something, but nothing of the large sheep yet.

I have a predator call and the means to hunt them, but I'm never sure on the best time.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    We have them out at our place in Reisterstown. We just started seeing them and hearing them this year, but they've been here awhile. I just told one of my hunters who is also on here I wonder if the deer population is down as I'm not seeing as many yearlings as I used to, big deer yes, but small ones, not many. We have sheep and a horse, a few years back the sheep lost all their lambs to something, but nothing of the large sheep yet.

I have a predator call and the means to hunt them, but I'm never sure on the best time.

I would think that coyotes would be feasting on this year's fawns. With no pressure from hunters, the coyotes are top dog (pun intended) in the woods.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County

Yeah the one is a no go with the big field, my wife called the property owners monday, they declined again.

mtm1974

Aug 21, 2015
    Cockeysville, MD
    It's amazing..

It's amazing how clueless the general public is to what "wild" animals we all live with! It's been over a year now, but my brother's neighbor had a coyote on his back porch in NE Balto County, the Carney/Parkville area. They back up to the woods boarded Rt-43E and i-695.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It's amazing how clueless the general public is to what "wild" animals we all live with! It's been over a year now, but my brother's neighbor had a coyote on his back porch in NE Balto County, the Carney/Parkville area. They back up to the woods boarded Rt-43E and i-695.

People didn't want us hunting the pretty little deer that are in their neighborhoods. Now that there are just so many deer everywhere, the coyotes have gone where the food is and with no hunting pressure, they will be as thick as the deer were 3-5 years ago.

I wonder what suburban Sally will say when her precious little kitty is eaten by the big bad coyote?

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    People didn't want us hunting the pretty little deer that are in their neighborhoods. Now that there are just so many deer everywhere, the coyotes have gone where the food is and with no hunting pressure, they will be as thick as the deer were 3-5 years ago.

I wonder what suburban Sally will say when her precious little kitty is eaten by the big bad coyote?

Im hoping she says "Where are all the hunters!" and we get to come in and save the day.....wishful thinking though.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Im hoping she says "Where are all the hunters!" and we get to come in and save the day.....wishful thinking though.

Wouldn't that be nice. A citizen using a firearm for good and being appreciated for that.

:smack: Wait, this is Maryland. I'm sorry.....

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I would think that coyotes would be feasting on this year's fawns. With no pressure from hunters, the coyotes are top dog (pun intended) in the woods.

Are Yotes burrow animals? We have some newer "fox holes" at the property, but they are larger than normal.

btw, my dad loves them, HAH, they cruise past his house for a nice howl about 4AM daily... who needs alarm clocks when nature has your back.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Are Yotes burrow animals? We have some newer "fox holes" at the property, but they are larger than normal.

btw, my dad loves them, HAH, they cruise past his house for a nice howl about 4AM daily... who needs alarm clocks when nature has your back.

My guess is that in the Spring they probably will to protect their pups. Maybe they do during the winter to help them with the cold. To be honest, I don't really know. Any tracks near these holes? That should tell ya if they're from a fox or a coyote.

Look at this web page. I found it interesting.
    http://urbancoyoteresearch.com/about-coyotes

I'm like your dad, I like to see them. However I don't like what they're doing to the deer population.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    It's a shame land owners don't want hunters to control predator population such a coyotes. I guess it will change when one their dogs is attacked or they have a close encounter. I don't really try to argue about hunting deer, it's their land so their decision. But a predator that can attack pets and maybe small children? Does anyone know of close encounters with children and coyotes in MD?

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Yeah, I actually saw her on sunday afternoon when they were out carroling on horseback and I contemplated going over to ask her. I heard that someone else already has permission over there so it probably wouldn't be worth asking

Odd, she told me a few yrs back she doesn"t allow any hunting on the property. Maybe she"s changed her attitude since. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom