• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Picked up a new rifle today, I'm not very familiar with it, and wanted to tap the brain trust for thoughts
    5b56a5da7989b992a910c6e70bcbe73e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Nice rifle with squirrel and acorn stock, looks to be in great shape. Would love to own it. I rebuilt one I had years ago for a friends son first rifle so I let him have the stock with it from another one that i had. Hope he still has it. I think i remember it also having a micro groove barrel. Sometimes the firing pin can be a little long in those when the are fresh like that one and can result in a chamber needing ironed with a lot of use but nothing to worry about at all. I like it, enjoy.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , Glenfield is/ was the budget line of Marlin, and your rifle is the Glenfield version of the M60. (A good thing.)

In the days when the baseline Marlins used plain Walnut and real checkering when checkered, the Glenfields used "stained hardwood" , generally beech. The Glenfields may or may not have been less polished than the Marlin equivalent. Actual examples substantially overlap in finish quality.

And for today's trivia , that rifle was $39.95 on sale in 1979 .

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Nice! Looks to be new old stock with those sales stickers. I think you can check the age online with a Glenfield/Mariln database.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Yes , Glenfield is/ was the budget line of Marlin, and your rifle is the Glenfield version of the M60. (A good thing.)

In the days when the baseline Marlins used plain Walnut and real checkering when checkered, the Glenfields used "stained hardwood" , generally beech. The Glenfields may or may not have been less polished than the Marlin equivalent. Actual examples substantially overlap in finish quality.

And for today's trivia , that rifle was $39.95 on sale in 1979 .

Thanks for this information, very exciting to me to come acrossed one like like this, hasn't been shot as far as I know and as far as it looks. Thankfully, I was thought of a by coworker I've always tried to help out. This one will have its own story

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Nice! Looks to be new old stock with those sales stickers. I think you can check the age online with a Glenfield/Mariln database.

So should I take those off? The rifle is mint, but I wondered if the will degrade over time or if at this point would the finished be marred already

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Fist two digits of the serial number is the date code. Nice rifle, may need the buffer replaced if it has degraded. Easy swap, just look it up to get the right part number as it changed at some point.

Does it have the bolt hold open? Pull the bolt back and press it to the left (into the action) while slowly releasing to see if it holds.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Fist two digits of the serial number is the date code. Nice rifle, may need the buffer replaced if it has degraded. Easy swap, just look it up to get the right part number as it changed at some point.

Does it have the bolt hold open? Pull the bolt back and press it to the left (into the action) while slowly releasing to see if it holds.

855e485c19ebffd51cb10d0ceac9e521.jpg

It does have the bolt hold open, the first two numbers are 25

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    855e485c19ebffd51cb10d0ceac9e521.jpg

I own a Glenfield model 60 as it was my first firearm and I purchased it new from Best Products in Towson for $49.95. Your serial number indicates 1975 manufacture. You subtract the first 2 digits from 100 to determine the year.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA

Fyi yours does not have the LSHO (last shot hold open) That feature started around 85, Marlin stopped Glenfield production around 83 I believe. You have to count your shots to know when you are empty.

Congrats on a pristine score!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    So should I take those off? The rifle is mint, but I wondered if the will degrade over time or if at this point would the finished be marred already

The stickers? Yes, there is probably an oxidation mark if you remove the stickers but no biggie. I would remove them and enjoy using it.

If you decided to sell it, leave the stickers on. You could probably get $150-$200 for it.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    That 4x15 scope originally came with the rifle also. Had the same one come on a Model 25 Glenfield bolt action from back in the day.

Had a Model 60 also later on, but mine was not as nice as that one. That's in really nice shape. Enjoy!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    That was my first gun and I still have it. I think I bought it from K-Mart in the '70s.
    Great find, very nostalgic for some of us.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Fyi yours does not have the LSHO (last shot hold open) That feature started around 85, Marlin stopped Glenfield production around 83 I believe. You have to count your shots to know when you are empty.

Congrats on a pristine score!

You are correct. It does have a bolt hold open but not last shot. It is a great find!!! I still have mine and it has had many a thousands of rounds through it and is still extremely accurate. I have had to replace the nylon buffer on mine a few times though.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I grew up with these. They would eat any ammo. Even 22s that came over on the Mayflower, that ended up in a ranch vehicle, covered with mud, dug out of the floor in a pinch. Young, dumb, and not ideal, but they always worked when I needed them. Bought a new production model 60 a few years back, and was disappointed with quality and reliability.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    18 rounds? New ones are 14 rounds, because NJ said an extra four is too much danger. Just picked up a new one, not as nice stock. Have over 500rds through it (knock on wood) not a hiccup.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    I own a Glenfield model 60 as it was my first firearm and I purchased it new from Best Products in Towson for $49.95. Your serial number indicates 1975 manufacture. You subtract the first 2 digits from 100 to determine the year.

Wow! I definitely didn't expect it to be that old based on its condition

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom