• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I see a lot of Round 3 CMP 1911's being flipped for about $2,200-$2,600 and people are snapping them up....smh

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Question for those picking up your 1911 here in MD.... if you have an 03:FFL, does the 01:FFL still make you do whole 4473, 77R, etc??
    The CMP will not ship directly to an 03 FFL holder for the 1911s. They must go to an FFL. This has been the stated policy since the initial round. I sent a copy of my 03 FFL to the CMP for proof of marksmanship activity but it still went to my dealer here.

Yes, you will be doing the full set of paperwork. An 03 FFL has no power to transfer handguns within the state.

Matt

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    The CMP will not ship directly to an 03 FFL holder for the 1911s. They must go to an FFL. This has been the stated policy since the initial round. I sent a copy of my 03 FFL to the CMP for proof of marksmanship activity but it still went to my dealer here.

Yes, you will be doing the full set of paperwork. An 03 FFL has no power to transfer handguns within the state.

Matt
    Yes, I'm aware that CMP won't ship to 03s. That is obvious.

What I didn't know, is if the 01 that received it would transfer to an 03 without the 7 day waiting and 77R crap.

I think I was slightly confused though. An 03 can transfer to an 03, in state, just has to be a rifle, correct?
    An 03 can receive a handgun, but it has to be from out of state?

Maryland is so stupid. Shouldn't be this complicated.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    After watching the CMP threads it seems there’s a fairly equal chance of getting the same maker slide/frame between grades. I got a service in round 2 and it’s Rem Rand slide/frame with a replacement barrel. You’re right though should be a nice gun no matter what!

It's all pretty cool, especially given that they are what they are because of their life in service versus someone doing a butcher job. Pretty excited to see what I get.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    I see a lot of Round 3 CMP 1911's being flipped for about $2,200-$2,600 and people are snapping them up....smh

Wow. For me, this is part of a lifetime collection that I plan on keeping, but still nice to know that there's that kind of demand for them.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Yes, I'm aware that CMP won't ship to 03s. That is obvious.

What I didn't know, is if the 01 that received it would transfer to an 03 without the 7 day waiting and 77R crap.

I think I was slightly confused though. An 03 can transfer to an 03, in state, just has to be a rifle, correct?
    An 03 can receive a handgun, but it has to be from out of state?

Maryland is so stupid. Shouldn't be this complicated.

Can't transfer an C&R handgun on an 03 FFL person-to-person in Maryland. State law overrides Federal on handguns. Can't avoid the wait or the 77R. All the C&R handgun gives you is the lack of need to have an HQL. And since you transfer the handgun on a 4473, you don't have to log it in on your license since you didn't transfer it on such.

Can transfer rifles on an 03 in state. I've done it without issue. Yes, you can receive a handgun in MD from out-of-state on an 03. I've done that too.

Matt

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    Wow. For me, this is part of a lifetime collection that I plan on keeping, but still nice to know that there's that kind of demand for them.

Same. That is enough money to make it tempting but I plan on keeping mine if/when I'm able to get one. Just mailed the form yesterday so I'm going to plan on waiting awhile.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I'm with you - no intention of flipping mine.

I got a 1943 Ithaca frame with a TZ USGI replacement slide. At first I was a little disappointed but then I came to learn that the frame was actually an unfinished WWI Colt frame the Ordnance Dept gave Ithaca to help get them started (Heart Shaped Cut-Outs under the grips and inspector proof marks give it away)

I have since replaced the TZ USGI slide with a period correct Ithaca slide and couldn't be happier with it.

17NOV_8.jpeg

17NOV_4.jpeg
    17NOV_2_After.jpeg

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Can't transfer an C&R handgun on an 03 FFL person-to-person in Maryland. State law overrides Federal on handguns. Can't avoid the wait or the 77R. All the C&R handgun gives you is the lack of need to have an HQL. And since you transfer the handgun on a 4473, you don't have to log it in on your license since you didn't transfer it on such.

Can transfer rifles on an 03 in state. I've done it without issue. Yes, you can receive a handgun in MD from out-of-state on an 03. I've done that too.

Matt
    You still have to log it even if the transferor makes you do a 4473. The regulations says to log all “acquisitions,” of C&Rs without providing any exemptions.

Jul 1, 2012
    What Ken Said :)

§ 478.125 Record of receipt and disposition (f) Firearms receipt and disposition by licensed collectors. Each
    licensed collector shall enter into a record each receipt and disposition of firearms curios or relics.

As long as your license is active, C&R's need to be logged when acquired whether they came in on your license or not. Same with disposition, if you had the C&R firearm before your license, but dispose of it while the license is active, you have to log it in first and then log it out.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    What Ken Said :)

As long as your license is active, C&R's need to be logged when acquired whether they came in on your license or not. Same with disposition, if you had the C&R firearm before your license, but dispose of it while the license is active, you have to log it in first and then log it out.
    ^^^ This. The idea behind it is that "you're licensed", not whether or not you "use" your license.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    I'm with you - no intention of flipping mine.

I got a 1943 Ithaca frame with a TZ USGI replacement slide. At first I was a little disappointed but then I came to learn that the frame was actually an unfinished WWI Colt frame the Ordnance Dept gave Ithaca to help get them started (Heart Shaped Cut-Outs under the grips and inspector proof marks give it away)

I have since replaced the TZ USGI slide with a period correct Ithaca slide and couldn't be happier with it.

Neat stuff. The history behind these is pretty cool. Where did you find the slide?

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Here’s my field grade; Army FOIA didn’t reveal any interesting history (nothing g before 1995 in North Dakota with National Guard.)

That being said I’m still in love with it!
    39EFA71B-2CB1-45EA-8650-DDC21A71361A.jpeg
    95316A79-8416-4BB0-B8A0-725C720B6CF8.jpeg

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I think I was looking for Glock sights when I saw the listing and later sent it to him. That’s probably how it sat for a while.
    And I sincerely appreciate it!! That really made my day when you turned me on to that. Exactly the right period slide for mine and the parkerizing even matched my frame. Thank you again! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom