• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • For those of you who keep track of such things the Ospreys are starting to return from their migration South. I saw at least two in Grasonville this morning. To me that indicates that spring is officially here and boating season will be right around the corner. Now we just need to wait until the seagulls get their brooding colors and the flounder bite should be on down at Chincoteague and Wachapreague. I don't know about you all but I am tired of Cabin Fever.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Saw the title and thought "when did they go away?" - then realized it wasn't these:

V-22-formation-AFSOC.jpg

:P

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    Been here for a while, too. They seem to show up almost like clockwork on St. Paddy's Day.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Ospreys have built a nest in the top of this crane. I tried zooming in but cannot see it. I've been assured that it is there, and that the crane is out of service for as long as the nest is inhabited.:sad20:

osprey crane.JPG

There is a sister crane onsite, but it has plenty of its own work to do.

osprey crane2.JPG

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    When I worked for a Co-op we used to run around with extend o sticks knocking off limbs and nests to keep the line from tripping out. Finally someone invented a Lexan shroud that you could nail to poles with double cross arms. When the flew into it they couldn't see it and would bounce right off. It was shaped with a peak so nothing would lay on it. Once they pick a spot they wont let up.

We also cut off and moved some poles with active nests with a clutch in them. The refuge would come out and monitor the work and have us stop if they thought the birds were getting stressed. Once the pole was stripped you just cut it off while holding it with the digger and then pass it to another one set up next to a hole that was open, then plant it away from the line.

We even built some platforms for them and then landed them to pole tops. Treated lumber about 6x6, mostly down Hoopersville.

Sleepy

Jan 19, 2013
    Hate ospreys. Damnned aggravating useless birds.

Herons are much worse.

If they set up a rookery in a tree there will usually be at least a dozen nests although I've heard of over a hundred in one tree.

The ground under the tree is covered in bird crap and scraps of fish and squirrels. The smell can be awful.

The juveniles actually try to crap over the edge of the nest but just usually end up splattering the nest, the tree, the ground and anyone walking by.

After a few years they end up killing the tree then move to a new tree the next year.

Other than that they are beautiful majestic birds.

Dirty_Civilian

Apr 12, 2018
    Here
    Heard my first one for the year while walking the dog this morning. There was also a snapping turtle on the edge of a pond coming out to get some sun. That means it is time for me to rotate the seasonal outdoor equipment in the garage.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    The ospreys showed up here last Wednesday. "Here" is just south of the Key Bridge.

For me, that's officially the announcement of Spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom