• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I have an AR pistol and would like to add a slip-on comfort pad to the end of the brace. Would this be a legal no-no? Thanks!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Tube cushions are fine. Stocks are the only no no. If said pad or cushion will turn your brace into a stock is definitely a no go.

Can we have a link or are you fashioning it yourself?

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm referring to a cushioned rubber pad that slips on to the end of the brace (or onto a stock on a rifle). Easy on, easy off, non-permanent. IIRC, brands include Limb Saver, Recoil Tamer, among others. Here's what I mean:

https://www.amazon.com/Recoil-Erase...83352590&sprefix=rubber+butt+s,aps,129&sr=8-2

No. definitely do not do this. This will prevent the brace function from being used while the pad is on, and its a de facto admission you plan to shoulder it more than "occasionally." Its true, a brace is uncomfortable when used as a stock.... its not a stock!

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Why not just go the SBR route?

I mean hell we can shoulder our braces now!

Now you want to press your luck by adding a rubber pad on the brace����*♂️

I don't need a full stock SBR. Not interested in going the NFA route with its attendant BS (tax stamp, fingerprints, 8-month wait). I just want to soften the edge of brace. If it's not kosher, so be it. Just thought I'd ask.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I don't need a full stock SBR. Not interested in going the NFA route with its attendant BS (tax stamp, fingerprints, 8-month wait). I just want to soften the edge of brace. If it's not kosher, so be it. Just thought I'd ask.

ONE MONTH WAIT now for SBR, i'm living proof! but yeah still fingerprints and $200.

and the wait is somewhat irrelevant as you can use the brace til you get the stamp.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Nice try

Attachments

• D24FA659-8760-4361-B04B-59B5B64238C3.jpeg
      D24FA659-8760-4361-B04B-59B5B64238C3.jpeg
      24.2 KB · Views: 321

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm referring to a cushioned rubber pad that slips on to the end of the brace (or onto a stock on a rifle). Easy on, easy off, non-permanent. IIRC, brands include Limb Saver, Recoil Tamer, among others. Here's what I mean:

https://www.amazon.com/Recoil-Erase...83352590&sprefix=rubber+butt+s,aps,129&sr=8-2

Nope, that’s gonna get you in trouble

The atf has already failed several brace manufacturers aftermarket “ cushions “ or t’s

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    I have a different but related question. I've read that it's OK to turn an AR pistol into an AR rile but not the other way around. to that end I just ordered an AR 15 lower with the intention of registering it as an AR pistol when it arrived at my FFL.

I'd like to build two .223 uppers for it. One a 10" barreled pistol (which I'll use a pistol brace buffer on the lower) and one a rifle with 16" barrel and adjustable stock.

Is this idea legal?

please help me figure this out.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom