• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LiveSteamer

Mar 22, 2020
    The Republic of Texas
    I am in self isolation due to age and underlying health issues. I am ordering more online these days in order to maintain isolation and not leave the house. Some things I order are shipped from China. I do not worry about the virus remaining on the shipping box or contents as it is a week or several in transit. What I am concerned about is possible contamination on the shipping box from handling inside the US, particularly by local delivery workers. I have similar concerns about the US Postal Service delivery of mail.

My current solution is to glove up, go outside to the front porch where the packages and mail are delivered. First I lightly spray alcohol over the packages and mail envelopes and my gloves. The alcohol quickly dries and I open the packages and envelopes with a dedicated knife left outside on the porch. I assume the contents are not contaminated and remove them with a gloved hand. I spray the knife with alcohol and leave it on the porch. I carry the contents of packages and envelopes inside the house and remove and dispose of the gloves.

I know this sounds like I am really anal retentive, but I can't catch this virus and what the Hell, what else do I have to do all day, shut in the house.

I am constructing a UVC light box, just waiting for delivery of the bulb. I will then UV radiate everything I bring in the house from outdoors.

OK, shoot away. Waiting for incoming comments. :gun2:

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    I am in self isolation due to age and underlying health issues. I am ordering more online these days in order to maintain isolation and not leave the house. Some things I order are shipped from China. I do not worry about the virus remaining on the shipping box or contents as it is a week or several in transit. What I am concerned about is possible contamination on the shipping box from handling inside the US, particularly by local delivery workers. I have similar concerns about the US Postal Service delivery of mail.

My current solution is to glove up, go outside to the front porch where the packages and mail are delivered. First I lightly spray alcohol over the packages and mail envelopes and my gloves. The alcohol quickly dries and I open the packages and envelopes with a dedicated knife left outside on the porch. I assume the contents are not contaminated and remove them with a gloved hand. I spray the knife with alcohol and leave it on the porch. I carry the contents of packages and envelopes inside the house and remove and dispose of the gloves.

I know this sounds like I am really anal retentive, but I can't catch this virus and what the Hell, what else do I have to do all day, shut in the house.

I am constructing a UVC light box, just waiting for delivery of the bulb. I will then UV radiate everything I bring in the house from outdoors.

OK, shoot away. Waiting for incoming comments. :gun2:

Variation on that theme: I spray down the exterior with hydrogen peroxide and then leave packages out on the porch for a few hours. Any mail stays in the mailbox until the next morning. Not perfect, but 12+ hours should be OK.

I have a UV-C bulb incoming and will be setting up a decontamination area in the garage. When I have to head out for things like groceries the jacket and shoes and pants will come off and lay them down in front of the bulb. Leave out there until the next day. I'm retired, at risk, and nothing needs to happen in a hurry so slow motion.

Also have n95 masks, face shield, and gloves if it really gets bad out there.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I put all of my mail and boxes “in quarantine” in the garage for 3 days. It doesn’t use any resources (Lysol, bleach, etc...) and it should kill the virus.

I’ve heard that the virus can live up to 3 days on a surface.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Covid19 isn't anthrax!
    Yeah, but if the mailman just sneezed all over it, you grab it and then scratch you nose, you could get in trouble.

OP in your situation what you are doing sounds reasonable to be. Pray for better treatment and a vaccine sooner than later.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Good lord! Why don't we all just curl up in a ball in the corner of the room and wait. Has the fear set in this bad?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    We sell UVC bulbs for HVAC systems. We made a Sheetmetal box with a bulb in it to decontaminate our face masks. We could use it for the mail as well.

Attachments

• D20163A5-8B78-4AD9-8558-2F2B429F6E60.jpg
      D20163A5-8B78-4AD9-8558-2F2B429F6E60.jpg
      62.6 KB · Views: 1,391

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Good lord! Why don't we all just curl up in a ball in the corner of the room and wait. Has the fear set in this bad?

I've had a quad bypass, the result of having a heart attack on a shipwreck in a 2 knot current. I tried real hard to be dead that day, but it didn't take. It does mean, however, I'm likely an at risk person and being prudent.

I don't plan to risk this stupid virus over other people's idiot behavior in public.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    We sell UVC bulbs for HVAC systems. We made a Sheetmetal box with a bulb in it to decontaminate our face masks. We could use it for the mail as well.

That's slick. Contact local hospitals to see if they'd want something like that for their PPE.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Lots of information and studies coming out and I'm citing this paper if you have access. Many reports suggest that SARS-Cov2 can last hours to days depending on the surface. Coppers and Cardboard (probably mail envelopes too, but not sure) about a day if they're heavily contaminated. Stainless steel and Plastic hours to days. I think the best advice for you and all members here is to be absolutely vigilant with handling anything outside of your home. Set up a mail station where you unwrap stuff. I find it incredibly unlikely that you would get infected by coronavirus by breathing the air around contaminated mail/packages. Wash your hands before you touch the product and clean it if necessary. I am an infectious disease researcher at JHU and all the advice we're giving to families and loved ones is to wash, wash wash your hands. You'd be surprised how many times people touch their eyes, nose and mouth daily.

Using heat, disinfectant or UV lights might work but there is absolutely no studies for those with this particular virus. These methods work for other pathogens, but there have been no studies with the coronavirus. Therefore, the tried and true method of washing hands and avoiding people is your safest and most practical solution to staying healthy. I hope everyone stays sane out there!

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Lots of information and studies coming out and I'm citing this paper if you have access. Many reports suggest that SARS-Cov2 can last hours to days depending on the surface. Coppers and Cardboard (probably mail envelopes too, but not sure) about a day if they're heavily contaminated. Stainless steel and Plastic hours to days. I think the best advice for you and all members here is to be absolutely vigilant with handling anything outside of your home. Set up a mail station where you unwrap stuff. I find it incredibly unlikely that you would get infected by coronavirus by breathing the air around contaminated mail/packages. Wash your hands before you touch the product and clean it if necessary. I am an infectious disease researcher at JHU and all the advice we're giving to families and loved ones is to wash, wash wash your hands. You'd be surprised how many times people touch their eyes, nose and mouth daily.

Using heat, disinfectant or UV lights might work but there is absolutely no studies for those with this particular virus. These methods work for other pathogens, but there have been no studies with the coronavirus. Therefore, the tried and true method of washing hands and avoiding people is your safest and most practical solution to staying healthy. I hope everyone stays sane out there!

Thanks for this. Our son is an EMT/Firefighter and daughter-in-law an OB/Gyn and they are working very hard to not catch it given the work they do. What we're doing with mail and packages was from their suggestions, but like you wrote, it's too new for many studies on its viability on surfaces or airborne. It does seem way nastier than the annual flu.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Unless I read it wrong. You still wear the gloves when you bring the stuff in.
    Shouldn't the gloves stay outside, since you're confident the contents aren't contaminated? I don't know.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I have a box already installed in my house. I pre-screen only certain pieces.

Attachments

• nra1.jpg
      nra1.jpg
      32.7 KB · Views: 517

LiveSteamer

Mar 22, 2020
    The Republic of Texas
    I didn't really explain that part very well. The gloves I use for this activity are those cheap thin plastic gloves used by food workers. I bought 500 from Amazon for a few bucks. Keep some in both vehicles to use for things like getting gas, although I am no longer going out of the house, haven't been out for 3 weeks. Getting back to handling the mail. Originally I spritzed a spray of alcohol on the gloves before removing the mail from envelopes and packages figuring that would disinfect the gloves preventing contamination of the contents. More recently I have modified the procedure. I remove one glove and remove contents with that hand while holding envelope or package with the gloved hand. I then carry the mail or item inside in the ungloved hand. After setting down the mail/item I remove and dispose of the second glove. I immediately wash my hands. I wipe down the door handles, along with frequently used door knobs, light switches, faucets, toilet handles, kitchen countertops, etc. twice a day with a disposable disinfectant cloth.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    If there is no metal in the letters, what about putting them into the microwave for 10 seconds? Not long enough to start a fire, but wouldn't that kill any bio hazard?

For boxes, what about using alcohol from the paint department in a hand sprayer to dampen the box? (I know we don't want to use that on our skin)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom