• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aspen20

Dec 31, 2018
    How many of you are tracking the latest violation of our civil liberties coming out of Baltimore? Three privately owned and operated aircraft were recently approved as ISR assets by the City of Baltimore. They have a six month contract and will be used to "collect images of the city to help investigate murders, nonfatal shootings, armed robberies and carjackings." Of course they won't be limited to just those because that's not how ISR works.

This is a blatant and egregious violation of our civil liberties.

Article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...cd0daa-752c-11ea-a9bd-9f8b593300d0_story.html

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    How is this different from the existing aircraft law enforcement uses for traffic, police car and foot patrol, the thousands of security cameras deployed, and gunshot detections systems, all currently in use?

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    I don't like the increase in the surveillance state, but don't believe that it violates any civil rights. as long as it is just looking at areas observable to the public, there is no issue.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    How is this different from the existing aircraft law enforcement uses for traffic, police car and foot patrol, the thousands of security cameras deployed, and gunshot detections systems, all currently in use?

This will be constant surveillance, where the powers that be can hit the rewind button to back track specific targets.

Aspen20

Dec 31, 2018
    Those aircraft aren't operating a minimum of 40 hours a week and are generally only utilized when the need arises. Police cars and foot patrols aren't constantly recording patterns of life for an entire city. While the security cameras do record constantly, the city can't afford to hire dedicated staff to monitor and analyze them in real time. This company with the contract has those resources and are privately owned, giving them greater leeway.

Aspen20

Dec 31, 2018
    I don't like the increase in the surveillance state, but don't believe that it violates any civil rights. as long as it is just looking at areas observable to the public, there is no issue.
    Keep in mind that your backyard with a 10ft privacy fence is "in public" when observed from the sky.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    hate to break it to you, but everyones already being watched anyway.

****This is true. In addition, the reason this may be coming out more now is in case there is a real possibility that more and more EMS workers are stricken down, or quarantined, as has happened in NY. If criminals know that cops can't respond as quickly, or eventually not all (God forbid), *you* will be 100% responsible for taking care of yourself and family.

Many of the people who are either indifferent about the police or hostile to them on social media, and in real life (Antifa, BLM, anarchists, sovereign citizen groups), will probably soil themselves if the cops stop responding when *they* have a problem. I saw this happen in a roundabout way shortly after the inauguration of DJT, when several protesters identified as having extensive anti-police social profiles, and who were spitting on them and throwing rocks and urine bottles at them had *no* problem calling the police when their car got broken in to, or stolen, or they became victims of violence from others, etc... One of my co-workers kids is like this and he didn't seem to be conflicted at all when his car was broken in to and his lap top and other personal items were stolen: this is a kid who I've seen wearing "F*ck the Police" hats, and "Resist" shirts, etc.. I have a feeling he took the hat and shirt off when he called the cops for *HIS* problem. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not happy about the extra surveillance, but Baltimore has some very dangerous people in it, and many non-criminals in that city who are stuck will perhaps appreciate the extra scrutiny and attention from law enforcement hopefully tamping crime down while this virus plays out. Pretty sure other cities have or will follow suit. There are places here in MoCo that have had private security for some time, and it's paid through HOA fees I think. Perhaps other places will follow suit if things get really bad.

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    Do you say the same when new gun control bills are proposed?
    ya see, the thing is me being watched has absolutely no impact on my daily life. I carry a phone, I use the internet, I have debit/credit, all of which is most certainly tracked. So since being tracked doesnt really do anything there is no point to do anything. do I like it? not at all, but it is a fact of life at this point. You are being tracked by things way more invasive than some airplanes or drones. None of it makes any real difference to you or your rights. It does not prevent you from doing anything. It does not limit you. Comparing something passive like surveillance to gun control is absurd.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Those aircraft aren't operating a minimum of 40 hours a week and are generally only utilized when the need arises. Police cars and foot patrols aren't constantly recording patterns of life for an entire city. While the security cameras do record constantly, the city can't afford to hire dedicated staff to monitor and analyze them in real time. This company with the contract has those resources and are privately owned, giving them greater leeway.

You do realize that this is not like the entire city of Baltimore is being video monitored at a single time, right? "...recording patterns of life for an entire city"? Get real, dude.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Its Baltimore... even if they do catch you committing a crime you know it won't get prosecuted. I gotta be honest with you, Baltimore City has been in a crime emergency for at least a couple decades. I'm not opposed to more stringent law enforcement within the city. Now, once they start flying surveillance planes over rural, low crime areas... then I'll start getting concerned about too much government.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My idea is to encourage more and more surveillance.

Why?

There are not enough people to deal with it.

If you are watching everyone, then you need 5 people to do that full time. And who watches them??????

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Baltimore needs all the help it can get on a good day, and it's not going to have one of those again for quite awhile. If you have to worry about a plane flying around that just might help catch a shooter, car jacker or other low life harming people, well I just don't know what to tell you.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

This is the third run on this contract, so nothing new. I posted about this in 2016.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=198489

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom