• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    So what broadheads do you like, have used and how did they fair?

I have used several with the crossbow and I will listed them below.

G5 Montec
    I like these a lot. Very tough and reusable. I just lost the last of my batch last season.

G5 chinese clones
    I just bought them over the summer. They didn't seem to sharpen well, but enough to kill. They fly well, but I shot one through a beer box full of mulch and it stuck in the dirt on the other side. Two blades sharpened back up and the third was nicked bad enough it might not be reusable. I will probably still use them but doubt they will get two deer per head.

Trocar HBX
    I really like the idea of the two fixed blades and two hybrid blades. I have shot this head through several double beer boxes full of mulch and resharpened it. I killed a doe it this year, stuck it in the dirt 12" and cleaned and resharpened it again and will use the same arrow and BH to kill the next one.

Rage chinese clones
    I bought the 18 pack two years back. I have killed deer with them. They work, but are maybe, semi reusable. The blades will resharpen but can nick badly and I broke several blades through the double beer box.

Originally liked the idea of the chinese heads, but quality is turning my view against that. It would not be that hard to make a fair broadhead but some of their steel doesn't pass cold rolled too far IMO. I have made primitive BH's from circular saw blades and even knives. They hold and edge but loose it quick, but long enough to kill. And resharpen fine. Their steel doesn't even meet that, IMO.

The chinese blades are cheap both in cost and material and the Common broadheads are way overpriced IMO. Probably mostly due to marketing There should be some middle ground here.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Shwackers. Been using them for years. I think I've only lost one deer in all that time. 90% of the deer I've shot have died within eyesight.
    They are one of the top broadhead-to-field point matching heads out there.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I have zero faith in the mechanicals after a few fail to open and premature opens. Sure that might be on me messing up, but it is what it is.

Replaceable 4 blade Muzzy, Muzzy One, G5 Montec and NAP Hellrazor are what I keep in my my box. I am using 5" helical fletched(overkill) arrows and a drop away rest and everything I put on the end flys good. Most of these were purchased locally at walmart in the discount isle after hunting season, cant turn down broadheads for $5 each.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    For the last several years I have used G5 Strykers. This year I went to the 125 grain Stryker 2.0. Shot a doe Monday afternoon and was very pleased with the results. You can get the ballistic matching BMP practice tip for them. My DXT could use a bit more tuning and the field points have a slightly different point of impact, but the BMP and Striker have the same impact out to 40 yards, which is the furthest I have shot them. Plus, the BMP can be shot into a bag.

I tried Rage's for a couple years and while I never lost a deer with one, my personal experience is better and shorter blood trails with a fixed 3-blade broadhead.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Slick Trick viper trick. They are both cut-on-contact and chisel head all in one broad head. I shot a buck with one last year at 25 yds and it passed through and carried on enough that I couldn’t find the arrow
    And they’re of the most accurate. I’ve practiced with plenty

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I like the rage 2". I switched from the collard ones last year and have been happy with them so far. The wound they create is incredibly devastating but I would say your take on the chinese clones are similar to that of the true rages as well (they are semi-reusable). I purchased the "new blade maintenance kit" recently and will update if there are any issues with reusing the bodies of the broadhead.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Byron, look that this. Chinamart has 12 Swacker clones for $15 and probably be under $17 for shipping all together. It will probably take 6 weeks to get, but I might test them against real swackers through beer boxes and mulch.

I bought the old Rage clones and they are alright and the blades are good quality. I bought some G5 Montec clones and they might as well be cold rolled steel, IMO.

I realy like the G5 Montec but $40 for three broadheads is a tough sell for me.
    The Trocar HBX hybrid is $30 for 3 on Amazon and it is tough as nails so far.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Byron, look that this. Chinamart has 12 Swacker clones for $15 and probably be under $17 for shipping all together. It will probably take 6 weeks to get, but I might test them against real swackers through beer boxes and mulch.

I bought the old Rage clones and they are alright and the blades are good quality. I bought some G5 Montec clones and they might as well be cold rolled steel, IMO.

I realy like the G5 Montec but 440 for three broadheads is a tough sell for me.
    The Trocar HBX hybrid is $30 for 3 on Amazon and it is tough as nails so far.

As long as they can pass a spin test.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Had great results with NAP shockwaves. But had one open early and clean miss. Shot her an hour later with the same broad head after cleaning it up and putting a new o-ring on it.

Messed around with them some and ripped up my archery bag a bunch, but I found my older shockwaves WERE deploying early on my new faster crossbow I started using this year. Got a new pack of shockwaves and they have thicker o-rings and fly fine after launching several in to a bag. Until this season a couple of years and 5 deer, zero issues. Still cleanly took the deer when it hit it, but I know it wasn’t me, but the bolt on the miss (at less than 20yds to boot!).

Got a package of spitfires to test out. I like the idea of no O-ring to damage, be old, etc.

Similar design otherwise. Haven’t tried them out yet, but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive with just a tiny handful that are bad.

I like the design of the blades and trocar a lot. Gives great penetration and decent cutting diameter. Had a bolt a few times rip right through my archery bag, out the other side and bury itself in the dirt (for the shockwaves). Several times, even at 30yds.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Had great results with NAP shockwaves. But had one open early and clean miss. Shot her an hour later with the same broad head after cleaning it up and putting a new o-ring on it.

Messed around with them some and ripped up my archery bag a bunch, but I found my older shockwaves WERE deploying early on my new faster crossbow I started using this year. Got a new pack of shockwaves and they have thicker o-rings and fly fine after launching several in to a bag. Until this season a couple of years and 5 deer, zero issues. Still cleanly took the deer when it hit it, but I know it wasn’t me, but the bolt on the miss (at less than 20yds to boot!).

Got a package of spitfires to test out. I like the idea of no O-ring to damage, be old, etc.

Similar design otherwise. Haven’t tried them out yet, but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive with just a tiny handful that are bad.

I like the design of the blades and trocar a lot. Gives great penetration and decent cutting diameter. Had a bolt a few times rip right through my archery bag, out the other side and bury itself in the dirt (for the shockwaves). Several times, even at 30yds.
    Spitfires seem to be a real good choice for cross bows. :thumbsup:

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    Iron Will 125 grain Wide.

I use the 125 grain Iron Will field points and have been stoked to find my setup shoots both to the same point of impact!

I switched to these recently to start getting ready for a Maine moose hunt and have decided to stay with them. Used various Rage models exclusively before this. Never had a problem but i am never going back. In fact, i plan on putting my collection of new Rages in the classifieds soon.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I have killed at least 1 deer with Muzzy 3 blade, Magnus stinger, Slick Tricks and Nap Spitfires. When I first started archery hunting about 18 years ago I seem to switch heads every other year or so just to try something different. Each of the heads I used did it's job. Some deer left massive blood trails, others not so much, but most of that depended on where the deer was hit. Most deer didn't travel more than 100 yards before expiring. I ended up using Spitfires for the last 10 or so years. They seem to preform better than the others from my experience. I've only shot 3 deer in the last 4 years, but my dad has a shot a few and some of the arrows have seem to start doing funny things. It could be some of the angles he has taken shots at, but I'm using Magnus Black Hornets this year. The reviews on them seem great and wanted to try something different, but I haven't gotten a chance to harvest a deer with them yet.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I have used lots of broadheads over the years --mostly using mechanicals with the crossbow-but when I was using traditional bows with cedars I had great results either Zwickeys and the old fashioned Bodkins--which could be sharpened with a file--of course the arrow speed was probably about 180 -200 fps and they still blew through deer and stuck in the ground below

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    for me the spitfire XXX for crossbows seem to drop them the fastest. I use a tenpoint turbo GT, so not the fastest by any means. Then it's a toss up between the Killzone and regular spitfire but I have ordered some spittfire Maxx to try because everything being equal i prefer cut on contact. I tried the doublecross too and it was good but didn't seem quite as good as the others. They have all been 100% accurate and 100% trouble free. The killzones have replaceable blades but the rest I have never reused on a deer. If I have to shoot a raccoon they get a used broadhead as long as it's mostly functional. So it's very unlikely I will ever try another brand even. I might try the hellrazor in the future though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom