• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Last I checked the geissele super duty rifles were government profile, not heavy barrels. Anyone else see that or have I missed something ?

They have always been marketed at "Geissele Profile" barrels on the Geissele webpage.

However, Brownell's has Geissele barrels for sale with the following

"This is an in-house Geissele 11.5” or 16” Nitride, Heavy Profile button barrel with a 1-7 twist rate, made of stainless steel.......................This is the same barrel featured in the Geissele Duty Uppers."

But I have looked at mine, and I would not call it a heavy barrel. Nor does it have rollmarks stating it.

Edit: After looking into it some more; Geissele has sold Super Duty Rifle with "Gov Profile" in the name. And ones with "Geissele Profile" in the description. But I cannot find heavy barrel listed anywhere on the Geissele webpage.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    In the listing posted above, the barrel is listed as HEAVY in two different spots. Just saying.

Primary Arms can state it it has a rainbow farting unicorn as an accessory. Does not make it so.

They are a seller, not the manufacturer. The manufacturer must make the claim it is a HBAR.

Just saying.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Interesting you say no HQL is necessary... the last time I went into this place and asked about purchasing a SCAR, they asked if I had an HQL. When I replied "no" (didn't have it at that time), they basically said the rest of the conversation was a non-starter. Guess that put it into my head I needed it. S

Dont ever do business with that FFL again, and please out these idiots so we can shame them for not knowing the law.

MacGyverS2000

Oct 25, 2020
    Primary Arms can state it it has a rainbow farting unicorn as an accessory. Does not make it so.

They are a seller, not the manufacturer. The manufacturer must make the claim it is a HBAR.

Just saying.

This is what I was afraid of, and now you guys have me wondering what will happen to this purchase. The money has been spent, it's on its way to the FFL (on the truck for delivery today, actually), and I have no idea what might/can/will happen.

So, what does happen if the local FFL decides it's a no-go (I'm assuming they're the ones who make the final determination, as they're the ones who sign it over to me?)... do they ship it back to Primary Arms and I eat a restocking fee?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I think you are fine. Print out and save a copy of the listing from Primary Arms. It's not likely that Primary Arms erroneously labeled something as heavy when it's in fact not.

Go into the FFL, proceed as normal and you will likely walk out with your rifle.

Also, see below - direct from the MSP list of banned/ not banned firearms:

I should also add that some companies do limited production runs with vendors like Brownells, Primary Arms, and so on. An example of that is the Daniel Defense SOCOM Block ii Upper sold on Brownells with DD heavy barrel (it is actually a true heavy profile). Despite this, DD does not advertise this product or even barrel on their site in any way shape or form, but it in every way satisfies the MD requirement.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      15.7 KB · Views: 412

Jub

Oct 23, 2020
    Any further progression here?

I went and picked up my LWRC this weekend at Molly's and am pretty impressed with the quality. There are a few more available at Molly's currently and Black Anchor is supposed to be getting in a shipment. Cash and carry for a high-end Maryland built, Maryland legal AR.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Any further progression here?

I went and picked up my LWRC this weekend at Molly's and am pretty impressed with the quality. There are a few more available at Molly's currently and Black Anchor is supposed to be getting in a shipment. Cash and carry for a high-end Maryland built, Maryland legal AR.

Delete

Last edited:

WarPig68

May 9, 2012
    Pasadena
    I started a thread on the FN forums as I have been looking at picking up a SCAR 16S for some time now... since the 16S is currently out of production until they get their US factories retooled with the dies from Belgium, I'm trying to round up suggestions for a "temporary" replacement. Unfortunately, MD law about HBAR/"heavy" listings on the barrel has tripped me up on the few options I was interested in (Daniel Defense, Geissele, etc.). If it's legal and I like it, it seems to be out of stock (and vice versa).

Since MD laws have stymied me lately, I figured what better place to ask what DOES work is a shop filled with fellow MDers. So, suggestions?

Here's a general list of wants/desires/needs:
    Use: Self-defense, range plinking... no hunting or competition (other than always trying to beat my own stats from last time)
    Price: $2-4k, though I have no issues going higher for a quality piece (I refuse to pay premiums, however, so $4k for a SCAR 16S because it's the "last one left" is a non-starter)
    Chamber: 5.56/.223
    Barrel: 16-18" (shorter preferred), coating? (I would trade minor accuracy for longevity/durability... chromed, maybe?)
    Rifling: 1:9 (seems to be standard... interested if 1:8 or 1:7 is selectable on certain models without ordering "extra" barrels)
    Handguard: Free-floating (preferred)
    Rails: M-LOK (preferred... scope will be added immediately)
    Carrier Group: Piston (preferred over DI)

After narrowing things down to (perceived) quality pieces I was looking at the Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 but it's out of stock (the Pro is in stock one or two places, but that's an 18" barrel and more of a comp. gun), and evidently they changed to a lighter S2W barrel that's non-compliant. I was also looking at the 16" Geiselle Super Duty, but Geiselle seems to be backing off on selling in MD due to the vague rules.

Someone please help me end this insanity and find a high-quality rifle that I can actually own here in MD!

I’m not sure where you’re located, but Field Traders in Pasadena is carrying AR’s with Wolf T91 Piston uppers. Might be worth checking out..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom