• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Hello all,

I am thinking of venturing into the handgun/10mm realm - will be moving out West soon and will rely on this for bear/predator protection (have decided 10mm over larger cartridges like the 44 mainly due to ease of shooting and increased capacity).

Does anyone have any experience with either the Glock 20 (G4) or the Springfield XDM (4.5 inch barrel) or better both?

I'm interested in using the Blue Label or IOP (Springfield), for more competitive pricing however I have no concept of what a reasonable price is for either so if one could comment on pre-covid pricing, that would be greatly appreciated. I'd be willing to look for one in stock at a LGS if it was reasonable pricing.

Thanks in advance and stay safe!

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Also read elsewhere that the Glock 20 can be finicky with heavier 10mm loads (200 gr or greater), but haven't read/learned enough to know if it was an issue with the ammunition being from smaller companies or what

rivertamer

Apr 7, 2012
    MARYLAND
    I have recently grabbed both a Glock 20 and a Glock 29....my G20 is a great shooter and can't be happier....have about 300 rounds thru her and had it a month. I actually thought it would be a bit more recoil but definitely manageable. My G29 is a bit fiestier....lol
    I would think the the Glock would have more available accessories, mags, and such.....running a SRO on mine and can't be happier.
    Congrats on vacating Marylandistan as well.
    feba2ca9fea3f7f3597f398badf753df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

rivertamer

Apr 7, 2012
    MARYLAND
    Also read elsewhere that the Glock 20 can be finicky with heavier 10mm loads (200 gr or greater), but haven't read/learned enough to know if it was an issue with the ammunition being from smaller companies or what
    Have been testing with 200 grain Underwood and 180 federal....running great....no FTF ,FTE .

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’m biased towards Glocks. I have a 20C/29C. Kriss Vector makes mag extensions to be able to have 30 rounds loaded up. They are a bit excessive but if you’re out in bear country it might not hurt to have some extra rounds on hand.

rivertamer

Apr 7, 2012
    MARYLAND
    I’m biased towards Glocks. I have a 20C. Kriss Vector mags mag extensions to be able to have 30 rounds loaded up. They are a bit excessive but if you’re out in bear country it might not hurt to have some extra rounds on hand.
    That's how I ended up with the 10mm ....nice having my Kriss Vector mags available and i am still able to find ammo fairly easy

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I got my Glock 29 a few weeks ago. I really like it. TFB TV did a youtube video comparing the G29 and G20. I would suggest the glock from the stand point mags are easier to find. Obviously I have never looked for Springfield 10mm mags, but the glock ones are very easy to find.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    I have recently grabbed both a Glock 20 and a Glock 29....my G20 is a great shooter and can't be happier....have about 300 rounds thru her and had it a month. I actually thought it would be a bit more recoil but definitely manageable. My G29 is a bit fiestier....lol
    I would think the the Glock would have more available accessories, mags, and such.....running a SRO on mine and can't be happier.
    Congrats on vacating Marylandistan as well.
    feba2ca9fea3f7f3597f398badf753df.jpg

Looks great!

I was considering the 29 for the dual option to carry concealed as well, but figured - I'd stick with the full size option given the presumed ease of shooting.

I believe the Gen 4 20 can be configured to be the same/similar handle sized as the Gen 3 20SF? I don't have the biggest of hands haha

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    I’m biased towards Glocks. I have a 20C/29C. Kriss Vector makes mag extensions to be able to have 30 rounds loaded up. They are a bit excessive but if you’re out in bear country it might not hurt to have some extra rounds on hand.

Yep saw those mag extensions - a beauty. Could also just be a good way to store/carry extra ammo in a pack while in the backcountry

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You need to handle both. In my experience they're very different grip angles and you'll likely prefer one to the other quickly.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    You need to handle both. In my experience they're very different grip angles and you'll likely prefer one to the other quickly.

Definitely the preferred route - trying to find stores that carry both or one or the other without ordering/paying for it first is difficult !

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have a Glock 29 but haven't shot it yet. I have several Colt Deltas...enjoy them all in that caliber. You will love the 10mm round! Depending on the brand and load ammunition you'll have quite the fireball.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The grip and feel matter most. Have a 3rd gen G20SF, had an XDM40, have handled and shot the XDM10 and 4th gen G20. Where the XDM40 fits me well enough, the 10mm's larger grip doesn't, and it had more muzzle flip for me vs the G20. All are reliable, but my 3rd gen needed a slightly heavier recoil spring to smooth out hot 600+ FPE loads(stock is 17#, use an ISMI 20#), still runs light 400ish FPE loads reliably. It's accurate and smooth, completely reliable, easy to shoot fast, and soaks up the recoil very well. The 4th gen is better, much better texture, and the new dual recoil spring assembly runs everything just fine. Only thing I don't like about the GLOCK are the factory plastic sights, and the trigger isn't great.

eshoremd

May 22, 2014
    Pasadena
    "My G29 is a bit fiestier....lol" No doubt!

I've had a 29 for 15 years.
    It's got pop.

Having the Glock 20 mag with extension help a lot.

Attachments

• glock.jpg
      glock.jpg
      11 KB · Views: 328

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you don't shoot Glocks well, get the Springfield. I have the XDM10, 4.5" version. There are magazine extensions available. SA has interesting deals around Black Friday. That's how I got 5 magazines for my XDM. I did not experience too much recoil when I used Sig 10mm ammunition. Best pricing for SA is from Proven Outfitters. They have better deals for first responders, military, and veterans.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    If you don't shoot Glocks well, get the Springfield. I have the XDM10, 4.5" version. There are magazine extensions available. SA has interesting deals around Black Friday. That's how I got 5 magazines for my XDM. I did not experience too much recoil when I used Sig 10mm ammunition. Best pricing for SA is from Proven Outfitters. They have better deals for first responders, military, and veterans.

Awesome thanks for the reference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom