• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I inherited my fathers 10/22 40th anniversary edition:). He had it for 4 years before he passed and never shot it. So my question is, do I shoot it or not? I already have a 10/22 that I have modified with a barrel upgrade and such. But I am really diggin the m1 carbine stocks for the 10/22. I know the rifles do not appreciate in value a whole lot, so should i keep it for my son, or play with it? I am not really into having firearms I do not play with.

Thoughts or comments appreciated.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I would keep it unfired and pass it on to your son when he is old enough. You can not replace the " sentimental value" of a family heirloom.

Unspoken

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 11, 2010
    Ambassador of GA
    I would keep it unfired and pass it on to your son when he is old enough. You can not replace the " sentimental value" of a family heirloom.

I agree with this. If you have other firearms, go ahead and keep firing them. Leave this family heirloom a virgin for your child.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    How old is your son? Personally, I'd pimp it out for him, test fire it, clean it, and put it away. They test fire the rifles before shipping anyway, at least this way you can do some mods to it before doing so may be illegal in your state.

Jim

Lord Baltimore

Aug 26, 2010
    Go ahead and use it. While you are using it you can think of your Dad.

When your son is old enough, teach him how to handle a gun, train him on your Dad's gun, and when he is mature enough, give it to him.

Dad wouldnt want it gathering dust.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Well this is really a decision you have to make for yourself, but I know what I would do at least:

If I was planning on selling it, I would leave it unfired and sell it as new. If I was planning on keeping it, I would fire it. If you're keeping it anyway, there's no sense really in delaying the first firing. And, personally, I know my dad would want me to use his things as I see fit, and not just keep all of them around in an unused condition.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE

That's where I am.

I have a Winchester Model 67 that my dad bought for $17 when he was in junior high school. A princely sum for the day.

He used to carry that rifle to school with a box of shells in his pocket and would shoot on the junior, then senior high school rifle team after school.
    After shooting, he would walk home with the rifle over his shoulder, and nobody batted an eye.

After Pearl Harbor, dad entered the Navy and the .22 bolt action rifle went with him.
    He used that rifle to shoot on the rimfire rifle team at his duty station, and did rather well with it.

That rifle is at least 70 years old now and pop gave it to me before he passed because I asked for it.

I still shoot it to this day, and every time I do... I think of him.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    It's an hierloom. You won't be selling it. Shoot it...

I'm not seeing the point of preserving the very few extra $ the gun would be worth "unfired".
    I'm pretty sure Ruger test fires them at the factory ?
    If that's the case then it would only be "unfired" by you.
    If it's an hierloom it should not be for sale anyway.
    Just keep it in "like new" condition and enjoy it.

Craignor said:

When your son is old enough, teach him how to handle a gun, train him on your Dad's gun, and when he is mature enough, give it to him.

Dad wouldnt want it gathering dust.

+1 :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom