Votes: 59 84.3%
    • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Whats the scoop? Do you put in plugs while hunting when you are about to shoot a deer? I have seriously been thinking about it recently due to my tinnitus getting bad. I wouldn't think it would take that long to put in ear plugs before you shoot a deer.

-Z

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I only bowhunt ;)

But if I did hunt with a gun, I'd still probably NOT use earplugs. I think it's a good idea, provided you have the time and won't give yourself away. I'm lazy though, and wouldn't want to risk the extra movement on that. But then again, this is the perspective of a bowhunter that doesn't need to do it in the first place. :D

My vote; Go for it when you can!

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    If you expect to HEAR the deer approaching, rubbing, scraping, grunting or taking a dump I suggest one braves it. Oddly enough, a hunting shot goes unnoticed........by me anyway.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    In the years I have hunted I have always taken my deer with 1 shot. I've used a sporterized Enfield 30-06 a 30-30 and a M1A. Looking back I don’t remember my ears ever ringing after the shot. I think it would mask my ability to here the deer. I usually hear the and the bucks about 50% of the time.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    No, absolutely not. Honestly do you even hear the shot or feel the recoil when you shoot a deer? I know I don't.

No I don't. When I shoot I don't hear it but after the fact my ears ring for the next few hours. I don't see why not, if you are able to, put in plugs when you see the deer you want to take. I realize after hunting for about 10 years there are times when that wouldn't be possible, but I have come across times when I could have easily had time to put in plugs (had I had them) before I made the shot.

Just a thought

-Z

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    No I don't. When I shoot I don't hear it but after the fact my ears ring for the next few hours. I don't see why not, if you are able to, put in plugs when you see the deer you want to take. I realize after hunting for about 10 years there are times when that wouldn't be possible, but I have come across times when I could have easily had time to put in plugs (had I had them) before I made the shot.

Just a thought

-Z

To each his own, I have never even thought about putting in plugs while I had the time. My focus is on the deer, my heart is pumping, the bang is the last thing on my mind.

Sitting back thinking about it, I think over the past 15 years I can maybe remember my ears ringing once after a shot, but thats it.

Is it a good idea? Probably, but honestly its low on my list of things to do/remember to do while hunting.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    To each his own, I have never even thought about putting in plugs while I had the time. My focus is on the deer, my heart is pumping, the bang is the last thing on my mind.

Sitting back thinking about it, I think over the past 15 years I can maybe remember my ears ringing once after a shot, but thats it.

Is it a good idea? Probably, but honestly its low on my list of things to do/remember to do while hunting.

Yeah that is kinda where I am at in my thinking. Maybe its because we just built a box stand that is probably going to be REALLY loud to shoot out of. Makes me want to invest in the Walkers Game ear or something like it.

-Z

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Yeah that is kinda where I am at in my thinking. Maybe its because we just built a box stand that is probably going to be REALLY loud to shoot out of. Makes me want to invest in the Walkers Game ear or something like it.

-Z

I meant to say that, I was in a box stand when I remember hearing the shot

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Yes. I could see the deer making their way along, and when they were about to come out from the last of the cover, I stuck the plugs in. I don't think a slug gun report would be too kind on the ears.

My 2nd time deer hunting I never saw a deer, but I sure froze my butt off LOL. Yeah that late muzzleloader season was great last year LOL. First, the 18 inches or so of snow, then the 25 degree weather with high winds. I sat for only 2 hours in that and was weakened ( that wind will blow through and up into anything, including fox fur hats with ear flaps) and had to use all my strength to walk back with my extra stuff and NOT bump or otherwise damage the 1000k of investment gun that was loaned to me. While walking back the thoughts were "keep walking" and " hey remember that Jack London story To Make a Fire?". By the time the late shotgun came in, I was stuck inside with a bad cold. At least it wasn't worst!

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    2 things you never encounter during a hunting shot, sound and recoil. Adrenalin seems to get the best of me every time :D.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I always wear earplugs when Im shooting :D

Attachments

• 222.jpg
      222.jpg
      20.1 KB · Views: 232

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have gotten in the habit of wearing electronic muffs when firearm hunting. Even though you may not remember hearing the shot, the impulse still rattles your little hearing bones. I have a little harder time telling the direction the sounds are coming from, but I know where the game trails are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom