• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Unspoken

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 11, 2010
    Ambassador of GA
    Hey guys, so this is my first foray into the rifle subforum. I purchased my first firearm about a month ago, a Remington 870 Express, and Im itching to purchase another firearm, this time a rifle.

Ive only ever used the rifle in the picture attached. A friend let me have it for a while, and I truly loved shooting it because .22 WinMag rounds were VERY affordable. I was thinking of buying something similiar because of how inexpensive the rifle and ammo are, however it was rimfire, and frankly, I know that anything beyong recreational "I enjoy shooting this rifle" purposes, it wouldnt do much in a SHTF senario, etc.

So I guess what im asking this forum is, and I know this is somewhat of a loaded question, but im open to all advice and suggestions, so there is no wrong answer, but I really want some suggestions on what rifle to get. I'd like to keep it bolt action, because im familiar with it and like it a lot. I'd like it to be somewhat reasonably priced (no more than say 500$?) and the ammo not be a money pit. I really like 30.06 like the m1 Garand but from what I understand they are quite expensive and so are the ammo. The remington 700 I saw in another thread was pretty awesome but im not sure it falls in this price range.

So yeah, a bolt action rifle around the cost of $500, scope optional, that I can have fun with at a range, the ammo wont kill my bank account, and if I needed it in a SHTF senario (zombies, what have you, etc) where I might need to take down something larger than a squirrel, it would be adequate. Remember, I already have a HD shotgun, so this is more about fun for me, but a dual purpose of being helpful in a SHTF senario would be nice.

If those are unreasonable requirements, such as it isnt possible at that price range to make all requirements happen, please, let me know. Like I said, first time venturing into the world of rifles.

And of course, sorry if this is a duplicate thread, repost, etc, in advance. Thanks guys! Youve been super helpful when it came to shotguns, now i need help with rifles...and maybe some help with my new addiction. :innocent0

Attachments

• marlin.jpg
      marlin.jpg
      6.7 KB · Views: 232

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    $500 price ceiling? Dick's has a Rem 700/scope combo for a little more than that and there's a sale on them usually about this time of year. The combo includes rifles in .223, .22-250, and .308 with varmint barrels.

If you can buy used, you open up the possibilities. A 700 or a Savage in .308 may run you that much or less.

Jim

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    So yeah, a bolt action rifle around the cost of $500, scope optional, that I can have fun with at a range, the ammo wont kill my bank account, and if I needed it in a SHTF senario (zombies, what have you, etc) where I might need to take down something larger than a squirrel, it would be adequate. Remember, I already have a HD shotgun, so this is more about fun for me, but a dual purpose of being helpful in a SHTF senario would be nice.

Sounds like a Mosin 91/30 from Keepshooting to me...:D

Unspoken

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 11, 2010
    Ambassador of GA
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/62/products_id/78430

Only because you're not a local will I recommend Bud's. This is a Savage in very versitile and affordable .223. This rifle has iron sights so you've got a useful rifle while you save for a scope. At $482 shipped, it's a heck of a bargain in my opinion.

You and jimbobborg both suggest the Savage. I looked into the .223 round. Seems perfect! Im going to the range on Saturday for more fun with the 870, but ill look into what my local shop has for .223/ I actually like iron sights a lot, so this works for me. :)

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Savage model 93g if you're looking for a tack driving .22 WMR at a good price. If you want to go out a little further I would suggest a .243 or .223. If you get into hunting the .243 can fit many roles.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You and jimbobborg both suggest the Savage. I looked into the .223 round. Seems perfect! Im going to the range on Saturday for more fun with the 870, but ill look into what my local shop has for .223/ I actually like iron sights a lot, so this works for me. :)

Savages are, in my opinion, great guns for the price. Since you're not looking to build a 1K yard competition gun, I think you'd be very happy with something like that. Good luck in the search.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I agree with a .223 bolt gun. Savage has great products and the 223 isn't the most potent. But remember, shot placment is everything, especially when you have a smaller bullet like the 223. They are fun and relatively "cheap" to shoot.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Savages are, in my opinion, great guns for the price. Since you're not looking to build a 1K yard competition gun, I think you'd be very happy with something like that. Good luck in the search.

+1

Joppaj is on the money.

The Mosin would make a nice counter part to the Savage. You cannot beat the value of $200 for gun plus 440 rounds of ammo.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    +1

Joppaj is on the money.

The Mosin would make a nice counter part to the Savage. You cannot beat the value of $200 for gun plus 440 rounds of ammo.

The Mosin was my rifle of choice when I got a taste of bolt action rifles and wanted something a little more potent than my .22 WMR. I had limited funds, but wanted something with some punch to it.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The Mosin was my rifle of choice when I got a taste of bolt action rifles and wanted something a little more potent than my .22 WMR. I had limited funds, but wanted something with some punch to it.

I have been full impressed with my Mosin.

OT: Did you have any problems or tricks as a lefty? My buddy was trying to shoot the Mosin last weekend and did not have a lot of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom