• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Oh how I wish.

I would love to have a buck hanging that was taken with the .357 magnum. I sold my muzzleloader pistol due to lack of interest with it and now I want the new Traditions Vortec pistol in .50 cal

dlharsh

Feb 13, 2010
    Windsor Mill
    I have a 44 mag I bought to hunt deer with. I hunt mainly in Western MD and WV where you can use rifles. The problem is I always grab a rifle when it comes to time to hunt.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I met a guy at Myrtle Grove who was shooting a black powder revolver, he told me that's his deer gun and he's taken like 15 deer with it. I think it was a Ruger Old Army.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I recently sold my old Traditions Buckhunter Pro .50 pistol with the 14" barrel and had a 2x BSA pistol scope on it, I was more than confident shooting it at 25 to 40 yards and I had no issues taking it deer hunting, many times, but, that was my deer hunting pistol and it got to the point where I was relying on the muzzleloading rifle all the time and the pistol slowly faded out of the lime light, so, it had to go. The second issue was not being able to see a deer at 40 paces with a pistol scope in low light, but, the rifles scope was like night vision in comparison.

There are just no good muzzleloader pistols on the market, in my opinion, that make for a reliable deer gun that I would mount a scope on. I have been pondering the newest Traditions Vortec pistol, but, I have not heard anyone speak of them yet and at $350.00 I'll wait for some experience from others with it before I buy one. The Buckhunter Pro pistol was a good pistol, but, the overall construction and quality of the thing was really, really poor, this has make me skeptical of the new Vortec for a reason.

So, this is why I wish we had a modern handgun rule change in Region B of Maryland.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    I don't understand why we can't use handguns in Region B..

So, this is why I wish we had a modern handgun rule change in Region B of Maryland.

I think a 44 magnum pistol is potentially safer than a bolt action rifled Black powder or shotgun that can kill at hundreds of yards...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

I think a 44 magnum pistol is potentially safer than a bolt action rifled Black powder or shotgun that can kill at hundreds of yards...

I'm not sure about that comment, but, given the fact that most every deer hunter is shooting at the ground anyway, when up in a tree stand, I don't see where any firearm makes a difference no matter what you're using. I'm still hung up the actual percentage of rifle bullets that would make it out of hunting woods anyway. After all, guys with crop damage permits don't hesitate to use high powered rifles in Southern Maryland, I assume the crop damage permits allow you to use an Abrams M1 too, but, I can't use a .357 Magnum to hunt deer?

I can use a .50 caliber bullet with 150 grains of powder, but, did I mention I can't use a .357 Magnum. I think it's time for change.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I'm not sure about that comment, but, given the fact that most every deer hunter is shooting at the ground anyway, when up in a tree stand, I don't see where any firearm makes a difference no matter what you're using. I'm still hung up the actual percentage of rifle bullets that would make it out of hunting woods anyway. After all, guys with crop damage permits don't hesitate to use high powered rifles in Southern Maryland, I assume the crop damage permits allow you to use an Abrams M1 too, but, I can't use a .357 Magnum to hunt deer?

I can use a .50 caliber bullet with 150 grains of powder, but, did I mention I can't use a .357 Magnum. I think it's time for change.
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/mailroom.asp

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

Let's take a statewide poll and see who backs the idea of a handgun hunting regulation change in Maryland and don't think I won't pursue it. I can refer you to the efforts being made to get some upgrades on the myrtle Grove shooting range...

Then we can start a petition and see what happens. What say you? Heck, maybe I'll start the process just to see what happens? Anyone interested in the idea of seriously backing said change? If you can walk the walk instead of talk the talk, let us hear some ideas from the members of this forum.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    After all, guys with crop damage permits don't hesitate to use high powered rifles in Southern Maryland, I assume the crop damage permits allow you to use an Abrams M1 too, but, I can't use a .357 Magnum to hunt deer?

Say what? You can use a high powered rifle if you have a crop damage permit? I'm playing phone tag with the guy right now. If that is true, I may have to drive down there myself!

I did mean what you meant, what's the difference if your in a tree stand, 44 magnum or 45-70 is still going in the dirt. Maybe they can make a rule that you must hunt from a treestand with a pistol if that is the issue since I don't understand what the issue could be other than they don't want yahoos running around the woods with a pistol. They would rather have yahoos running around with a long gun so that they can see it easier..

jbmabrey

Jan 27, 2008
    Wilmington, De.
    There are just no good muzzleloader pistols on the market, in my opinion, that make for a reliable deer gun that I would mount a scope on.

Thompson Center encore handgun in 45 cal. ml barrel using 240 gr. dead center over 90 gr. of bh 209 or a 50 cal. Encore handgun with ml barrel using harvesters Scorpion pt gold 260 gr. over 90 gr. of BH 209 will both shoot 2" groups at 100 yds.
    Of course Maryland residents can't buy these fine ml handguns. I live in De. and hunt in Md with these two handguns as well as a Ruger 44 mag super redhawk 91/2" barrel.
    There needs to be several rules changed to improve handgun hunting. You can hunt in Cecil and Dorchester county with handguns.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Thompson Center encore handgun in 45 cal. ml barrel using 240 gr. dead center over 90 gr. of bh 209 or a 50 cal. Encore handgun with ml barrel using harvesters Scorpion pt gold 260 gr. over 90 gr. of BH 209 will both shoot 2" groups at 100 yds.
    Of course Maryland residents can't buy these fine ml handguns. I live in De. and hunt in Md with these two handguns as well as a Ruger 44 mag super redhawk 91/2" barrel.
    There needs to be several rules changed to improve handgun hunting. You can hunt in Cecil and Dorchester county with handguns.

what?

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    After all, guys with crop damage permits don't hesitate to use high powered rifles in Southern Maryland, I assume the crop damage permits allow you to use an Abrams M1 too, but, I can't use a .357 Magnum to hunt deer?

Say what? You can use a high powered rifle if you have a crop damage permit? I'm playing phone tag with the guy right now. If that is true, I may have to drive down there myself!

I did mean what you meant, what's the difference if your in a tree stand, 44 magnum or 45-70 is still going in the dirt. Maybe they can make a rule that you must hunt from a treestand with a pistol if that is the issue since I don't understand what the issue could be other than they don't want yahoos running around the woods with a pistol. They would rather have yahoos running around with a long gun so that they can see it easier..

Crop damage permits allow you to gun hunt, but to my knowledge, NOT rifle hunt (high power that is). My crop damage permit says nothing at all to indicate that it's allowed.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Still no takers on the offer?

Let's take a statewide poll and see who backs the idea of a handgun hunting regulation change in Maryland and don't think I won't pursue it. I can refer you to the efforts being made to get some upgrades on the myrtle Grove shooting range...

Then we can start a petition and see what happens. What say you? Heck, maybe I'll start the process just to see what happens? Anyone interested in the idea of seriously backing said change? If you can walk the walk instead of talk the talk, let us hear some ideas from the members of this forum.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I'm not sure about that comment, but, given the fact that most every deer hunter is shooting at the ground anyway, when up in a tree stand, I don't see where any firearm makes a difference no matter what you're using.

I've always wondered this, myself. If the majority of hunting is done from a deer stand, what's the point of shotgun-only counties?

Also, with the advancement of technology in slugs, some slugs are good for 200 yards, now.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've always wondered this, myself. If the majority of hunting is done from a deer stand, what's the point of shotgun-only counties?

Also, with the advancement of technology in slugs, some slugs are good for 200 yards, now.

Thanks, I'm glad to see you thought about this. It does not make any good sense does it?

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Of course Maryland residents can't buy these fine ml handguns.

I hunt with a 209x50 T/C Encore ml handgun. I bought it used chambered in .30-06 from a dealer on GunsAmerica.com that was made "pre-fired shell casing" and "pre-internal lock". Then just bought the ml barrel from Fox Ridge Outfitters, T/C's custom shop. No big deal. T/C will quote manufacturing date before a potential purchase to be certain.

Bought another Encore pistol used in .223. Just had to have a custom lock made for it for $20. Like most other guns, MDers can get them if we are willing to go through the maze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom