• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Picked up my new rifle Friday from Mark at 2A Sales and coudn't wait to get to the range today. For those interested, here are the specs....

5r chambered in .308, Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50, Leupold Mark 4 rings, 20 moa base and Harris light weight bipod. Hornady and Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grn BTHP.

This is my first tactical/target style rifle and certainly the most I've ever spent on a rifle scope. By the way, if my wife asks, the scope retails for $99.99 before the mail in rebate:rolleyes:

photo7.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo1.jpg

I don't consider myself much of a rifle marksman, but I couldn't be happier with my 5R on the first trip to the range. The pic's are 3 shot groups at 100 yards shot from the bench using the bipod. The caliper measurements in the pic's have NOT been certified by the accounting firm of Earnst & Young...just my best attempt at showing the group size.

Thanks again to Mark and Joe!:party29:

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Wow, that is a serious scope. Like the Leupold Mark 4 I have on my 5R, but better in every way. I'm envious. And yeah, if I run into your wife, that's actually just a Tasco knock-off.

The MD Shooters Rem 700 5R Club is getting bigger every week. Do we have more 5Rs per capita here than in other states? It seems like they're selling themselves on word of mouth through the forum and events. I spent a lot of time researching my first rifle purchase and almost ended up with something else, and then at the last second I found out about the 5R and was saved. That's right, even after extensive research, I wasn't even aware that the 5R was an option. Silly me, I just assumed Remington would list it on their site. I would imagine that in other states that don't have active gun forums, the basic awareness rate of the 5R would be a lot lower.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    The scope was incredible, really liked the target knobs. Once I had it zeroed at a 100, I played around shooting paper and clays at the 200 yard burm. Brought the elevation back to my zero and it was dead on just where I had zeroed it.

I'm guessing this is not news to most, but it's my first tactical scope.

Last edited:

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    My first (and only) scope is a Leupold Mark 4 ... so, what, you're saying that there's actually scopes out there that won't return to zero? For shame!

(Just kidding ... I love you Tasco :innocent0 )

SgtKope

Nov 7, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    Nice.

Now go shoot groups for accuracy instead of shooting for internet pictures. ;)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=323026

I hope you are joking. This internet group shot thing has spun out of control. There is only one shot that counts- cold bore. It doesn't matter if you are hunting animals or taliban. It is the first shot that counts.

Three shot 1/2 moa, yeah that gun can shoot. Nice shooting Bill, congrats on the new rifle.

2Asales&Supplies

, , Up In Arms Since 2009
    Industry Partner
    Aug 5, 2009
    Thanks for the business!!! The groups are looking really good. Now I have to keep one for myself. :sad20:

dlharsh

Feb 13, 2010
    Windsor Mill
    Nice. I see one of those in my future as soon as I can find one of those rebates. My fear is after I'm gone, my wife sells my guns for what she thinks I paid for them.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I hope you are joking. This internet group shot thing has spun out of control. There is only one shot that counts- cold bore. It doesn't matter if you are hunting animals or taliban. It is the first shot that counts.

Who said anything about hunting?

Feel free to drop by Quantico for an F-class match and show everyone there how the first shot is the only one that matters. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    F-class at Quantico is the only "real world application" that 90%+ of local Remington 700 5R owners are ever going to face. Is competition not "valid" enough for you? It only counts as "real world" if you're shooting at living targets?

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Also, if you don't think putting dozens (if not hundreds) of rounds of accurate fire on target is "real world", then how do you explain this video from Iraq? Sniping isn't all "one shot, one kill". In a pitched battle situation against many enemies, you're going to be taking many shots, and good volume of fire is more important than having a 100% hit ratio.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Okay, so I just re-read my last two posts and I was coming across unnecessarily huffy. Let me back-track a bit.

All I'm trying to say is that I am disappointed when one shooter chooses to criticize another shooter about how he enjoys the sport (so long as we aren't talking about unsafe/illegal practices). Some people like hunting, where one shot is frequently all you get, and some people like competitions, where you have to make the most of 50 or so shots. Competitions need a lot of shots in order to get a statistically valid sample size. If your sample size was just a couple of shots then chance would play a large factor in who wins. With a large sample size, chance is evened out, and skill shines through. And as that video I linked shows, having to make many accurate shots within a short period of time isn't an unrealistic real world scenario.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Nice.

Now go shoot groups for accuracy instead of shooting for internet pictures. ;)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=323026

I hear ya, this is my first attempt at target/tactical type shooting with a rifle and was quite excited with MY results. Certainly not impressive to most, but thought I would share the pic's and experience with the forum.

By the way, I regularly shoot perfect .284" "groups" with my Browning A-Bolt...been doing this for years! When the Browning comes out of the safe, furry North American mammals get nervous, real nervous! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom