• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Specifically for hunting whitetail. I was thinking of getting one myself instead of borrowing my father-in-law's old Knight he bought 20+ years ago.

Both my father-in-law and brother-in-law have a Thompson Center Encores and those look nice so I went to take a look. Both of them told me they paid $600-700 a few years ago, so I figured I should be able to get them in that range. So I got to the gun shop (Fred's sports, the same one my brother-in-law bought his from) and the Thompson Encore Endeavor that I saw online that I decided on turned out to be $930, which seems astronomical for a muzzleloader to me. I thought hey, 600 bucks and it's supposed to be the best, why not, I'll have it forever and it has interchangeable barrels; then I saw the price. But I'm second guessing it now since it's like 55% more than I expected and the additional barrels are $300-400 (even used).

Any other recommendations? I keep going back to the cheaper muzzleloaders, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if I will ever change the barrel because additional barrels will have to be scoped (or resighted, which isn't gonna happen probably and defeats the purpose) and they are so damn expensive. I was looking into the CVA Apex online as well, and that seems to be around $700 or so.

Seems like by the time I buy a more expensive muzzleloader that can accommodate another barrel, buy another barrel and another scope I could've bought a nice additional firearm for the same or not much more. Plus, with the Encore or Apex, I'd be stuck with single shot.

Oh, and there's always the fact that I don't have to worry about FFL's if I buy a muzzleloader that doesn't have interchangeable barrels so I could just buy it online instead of driving all over creation (closest shop is 35 miles or so) to find what I want.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    If you are looking at inlines they are pretty much the same performance wise. Some have features that make them prererable to some. Sportsmans guide usually has a good selection sometimes for less than half of what you would pay in stores. Wal-Mart has a selection or reasonably priced inlines as well. Dick's probably could sell you a 12ga/50cal HR,NEF,or Rossi combo for under $400.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    I recommend a thompson center omega

I started with a Thompson Center Black Diamond which was ok, but the omega is much easier to clean and deal with. I then got an Omega z5 blued steel/synthetic which I got on clearance from Walmart for $200 (you can get em for $300 everywhere. When I upgrade, it will be to a Savage ML2 stainless with thumbhole stock which takes smokeless powder for even easier cleaning. But my Omega has been very good to me for 3 season or so now. It shoots very straight, very durable and easy to clean too... I saw them selling closeout KNIGHT rifles at the Bass Pro Classic for dirt cheap, maybe they still have some.. It would be worth a look too...good luck with whatever you get...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    traditions here.. just re-sighted my break-action pursuit a week ago.. it held the zero since last year.. :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    BP are like computers, whatever you get this year will be "obsolete" and "unpopular" next year.

Get a good, reputable rifle, stainless barrel if possible, that cleans EASY, and do clean it OFTEN, regardless of what people say about modern powder not being corrosive, clean it, and dont leave it loaded between seasons.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I am all about Traditions myself here, same as what lx1x stated. I'm not interested in the cheaper walmart models, I don't care for hollow, composite stocks, and CVA seems to have a lot of problems. If I had the money I'd go with a Thompson Center or a Savage, but, given the fact that most all inlines have the same design and become obsolete next year like clandestine said, anything you buy for a few hundred dollars, which meets your personal choice, is going to be fine and last you for years anyway. Anything you buy now will certainly be more up to date than the Knight Wolverine I had first. Now I have a Traditions Pursuit in full camo and it's just fine and it kills deer just as well as anything else out there. Just remember, higher priced inlines are no better than cheaper priced ones, but, stay away from the $100.00 guns.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    BP are like computers, whatever you get this year will be "obsolete" and "unpopular" next year.

Get a good, reputable rifle, stainless barrel if possible, that cleans EASY, and do clean it OFTEN, regardless of what people say about modern powder not being corrosive, clean it, and dont leave it loaded between seasons.

OMG! Clean it after every shot. I run three wet swabs after each fire. They are filthy, but man do they smell good...:D

Savage ML-II. You can then play with various loads to hearts content.

photo.jpg

300 grain Barnes Orginal .458 cal at 100 yards:

IMG_2705.JPG

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch

I disagree. Sidelocks will never really get further out of style....

Otherwise, the savage ML-II is a great gun. If you are looking for discounted weapons, there are a bunch of Ml's used in the stores that you could probably haggle down.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I think I'm leaning towards the Thompson Center Triumph. It seems to have everything I was looking for, except the stainless barrel.

I looked into the Savage, but I can get a regular Thompson Center Encore (no Pro Hunter or Endeavor, but still an Encore) for that and it doesn't seem to have any special features.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Damn it, I keep going back to the stupid Encore. I can get a regular Encore without the "Limbsaver stock", and a few other things for around $610 or so online, plus shipping. I still have to deal with that damn FFL nonsense though. Ahhh, I can never make my mind up!!!

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Im with you brother, but it seems alot of people have to have the "newest" gun on the block, or they arent cool. ;)

im quite the opposite, i keep going for the oldest stuff on the block.

went from C&R rifles, to older C&R and antique cartridge rifles, to percussion and BP cartridge guns, and now im looking to get a flintloack sometime.

hell ill probably get a wheel lock, match lock and handgonne eventually lol.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Specifically for hunting whitetail. I was thinking of getting one myself instead of borrowing my father-in-law's old Knight he bought 20+ years ago.

Both my father-in-law and brother-in-law have a Thompson Center Encores and those look nice so I went to take a look. Both of them told me they paid $600-700 a few years ago, so I figured I should be able to get them in that range. So I got to the gun shop (Fred's sports, the same one my brother-in-law bought his from) and the Thompson Encore Endeavor that I saw online that I decided on turned out to be $930, which seems astronomical for a muzzleloader to me. I thought hey, 600 bucks and it's supposed to be the best, why not, I'll have it forever and it has interchangeable barrels; then I saw the price. But I'm second guessing it now since it's like 55% more than I expected and the additional barrels are $300-400 (even used).

Any other recommendations? I keep going back to the cheaper muzzleloaders, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if I will ever change the barrel because additional barrels will have to be scoped (or resighted, which isn't gonna happen probably and defeats the purpose) and they are so damn expensive. I was looking into the CVA Apex online as well, and that seems to be around $700 or so.

Seems like by the time I buy a more expensive muzzleloader that can accommodate another barrel, buy another barrel and another scope I could've bought a nice additional firearm for the same or not much more. Plus, with the Encore or Apex, I'd be stuck with single shot.

Oh, and there's always the fact that I don't have to worry about FFL's if I buy a muzzleloader that doesn't have interchangeable barrels so I could just buy it online instead of driving all over creation (closest shop is 35 miles or so) to find what I want.

try looking on gunbroker....for thompson...you dont need to be an FFL and it deliver straight to your house...

jbmabrey

Jan 27, 2008
    Wilmington, De.
    I think I'm leaning towards the Thompson Center Triumph. It seems to have everything I was looking for, except the stainless barrel.

I looked into the Savage, but I can get a regular Thompson Center Encore (no Pro Hunter or Endeavor, but still an Encore) for that and it doesn't seem to have any special features.

The special features are
    1. stainless barrel
    2. shoot smokeless powder=less cleaning, no crud ring, no stinking powder smell(I have allergies)
    3. Deadly accurate
    4. No FFL needed (can buy online)
    5. No trigger job needed-I own 2 encore handguns-both had to have trigger jobs done. search the net and you will find many who had trigger jobs done on the encore at their own expense.
    (and if you ever have to send an encore back to the factory they undo the trigger job-return it to factory specs)
    6.When I shoot my Savage muzzleloader at a deer I see where the deer drops or goes-not so with replacement bps. I have 2 ml barrels on my encore handguns I have had to wait to see what the results are on targets and the 1 deer I got. Not a major problem but a factor still.
    7. Finally the opposite of no trigger job is that Savage has the Accu-trigger-try one and you'll understand what you will have to pay for when you buy and encore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom