• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downforthecause

refugee from communist MD
    Nov 13, 2009
    So I bought a Savage .30-'06 last night to hunt deer with this coming season, and I want to know what Scopes you guys can personally recommend... I'm not paying over $300, it's just out of the question, and it has to be a variable objective. I'm leaning toward a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40, or a Coyote Special in the like... Good ideas? or something better out there for the money? It HAS to be able to hold zero on the 30-06.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Go with the Nikon Buckmaster or the Bushnell 3200. They are both very solid and good values in hunting scopes.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

downforthecause

Nov 13, 2009
    That's a very good deal! the 4200 I have on my 25-06 is outstanding glass for that price.

Considering that Russ, I don't want to buy junk to guess with. BTW where-abouts are you in Manchester? I'm right in Hampstead.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I have had great luck with Burris Full Field w/mil-dot rec.,But I have tried a new Redfield Revolution 3-9, thats another story!I bought it here in fl just after the Sales rep laid it on the counter ....As far as i know no one monkeyed with it.Took it to md and got it set up on a new Stag arms 6h, just to run it through it's paces.Well after setin the Bore Laser up there was no movement of the CH's.I called the Factory and they gave me an RMA#.I paid for Shipping/Insurance ...They jerked me around for a month before sending it back with a poor disscription of what was actually done to it.Every time I called Wash.st.I had to speak to a different Sevice Rep.No one is autherized to pay Your S/I costs So so much for their great service/wrty work!I have not tried out this scope yet, but have a nasty taste in my mouth,I will not buy another Redfield or Leopold product! I would hope you guys have better luck,They make you listen to how comitted they are to us shooters while you are on hold....Do Not fall for their line or the attitude they have!Sounds alot like the Current Government now that I think about it!

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    I have 5 of the new Redfields either in 2x7 or 3x9... All 5 have been great so far. I also have 3 of the prostaff's, Great also!!

Nikon has a rebate on the scopes with the BDC recticle. 30$ mail in rebate till oct 11. I just picked a 3x9x40 W/BDC for 159.99 from DICK's. Mail in the rebate and it will be 129.99 after I get my 30$ back.

If you want it to hold zero. Trash the rings that came with the rifle more than likely and make sure the bases are decent!!!!! Ive had great luck with leuolpld and Warne.

Rings and Bases are one of the most important parts to accuracy! Most of the combo stuff that comes from the gun makers is bottom line stuff. (satisfactory)

leuopold and warne rings run around 30$ or so for a set!

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Glad You had better Luck, but I think Redfield should do a better job of Customer Care after the sale! Their Service policy needs to be looked at,Armedsks is on spot regarding good Rings/mounts, but The Revolution was not a packaged rifle/scoped deal and when the consumer spends $200 on their glass he should be treated fast/fair.!

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    I agree. I always thought that leuopold had good customer service. You should complain to someone higher up in the company. Since redfields are owned by leuopold now!

You would think american companys would try to make the customers happy! They tout there scopes as being american made by americans!

downforthecause

Nov 13, 2009
    I have had great luck with Burris Full Field w/mil-dot rec.,But I have tried a new Redfield Revolution 3-9, thats another story!I bought it here in fl just after the Sales rep laid it on the counter ....As far as i know no one monkeyed with it.Took it to md and got it set up on a new Stag arms 6h, just to run it through it's paces.Well after setin the Bore Laser up there was no movement of the CH's.I called the Factory and they gave me an RMA#.I paid for Shipping/Insurance ...They jerked me around for a month before sending it back with a poor disscription of what was actually done to it.Every time I called Wash.st.I had to speak to a different Sevice Rep.No one is autherized to pay Your S/I costs So so much for their great service/wrty work!I have not tried out this scope yet, but have a nasty taste in my mouth,I will not buy another Redfield or Leopold product! I would hope you guys have better luck,They make you listen to how comitted they are to us shooters while you are on hold....Do Not fall for their line or the attitude they have!Sounds alot like the Current Government now that I think about it!
    \

Thanks for the input, crossed off my list!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    You have to spend a lot of money on Leupold to get glass comparable to Nikon or the Bushnell Elite's in this price range. And Elite 4200 is way better glass than a VX2 IMHO.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Vortex Diamondback. It probably sits right between the Bushnell 3200 and 4200's. The only reason I would consider the Bushnells first is because of the Rainguard coating.

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    30-06 scope

I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on a
    mauser 30-06
    Rem 700 8x57
    Savage 10ML (smokeless)

All three have been fine. All three sub MOA

I also have a Sightron S1. When I first got it it would not hold zero. I sent it back to sightron the replacement has been OK so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom