• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BirdHunter

Jan 5, 2013
    Hey All,

New to the forum, and MD as well, relocated recently from Maine, Gaithersburg area now. Been a bit of an eye opener for what is required for a CC license, and a bit of a run around concerning a hunting license. Hate to start my first post in a bit of a negative post concerning the DNR but would like to know others experiences with this.

So, as an avid bird hunter, particularly partridge aka ruffed grouse, I was anxious to get out there and see what MD has to offer. First hurdle was the license obviously, so I asked some hunter friends down here, was told I need a hunter safety cert. Called the DNR HQ, was told that the hunter safety cert was the only way... Well, I certainly took one quite some time ago and there was no way to get a copy and Maine did not keep records that far back. I did a bunch of research and talked to people at the local gun club and an instructor of the MD HS course, all pretty much said the same thing, I needed the certificate.

I thought this the strangest thing since I have hunting licenses in 4-5 other states and not once has this been an issue because I held a hunting license from another state. So, in search of the actual law concerning this requirement I went and found that it specifically states that a valid hunting license shall satisfying this requirement.

Ok armed with that bit of knowledge and a printout of the code I went to my local license issuer. Same resistance was initially met, but when I showed him the code, he said it was the first time in 7 years anyone has showed him that. He was very helpful and we managed to get my license issued through the loop hole of hunting prior to 1977. This was not a DNR office which I sorta wish it was to see what would have happened.

So, anyone else ever question the DNR on this?

Sorry for the long first post but as a life long hunter, fisherman and gun owner I have to question.

Thanks much
    JC

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Hey All,

New to the forum, and MD as well, relocated recently from Maine, Gaithersburg area now. Been a bit of an eye opener for what is required for a CC license, and a bit of a run around concerning a hunting license. Hate to start my first post in a bit of a negative post concerning the DNR but would like to know others experiences with this.

So, as an avid bird hunter, particularly partridge aka ruffed grouse, I was anxious to get out there and see what MD has to offer. First hurdle was the license obviously, so I asked some hunter friends down here, was told I need a hunter safety cert. Called the DNR HQ, was told that the hunter safety cert was the only way... Well, I certainly took one quite some time ago and there was no way to get a copy and Maine did not keep records that far back. I did a bunch of research and talked to people at the local gun club and an instructor of the MD HS course, all pretty much said the same thing, I needed the certificate.

I thought this the strangest thing since I have hunting licenses in 4-5 other states and not once has this been an issue because I held a hunting license from another state. So, in search of the actual law concerning this requirement I went and found that it specifically states that a valid hunting license shall satisfying this requirement.

Ok armed with that bit of knowledge and a printout of the code I went to my local license issuer. Same resistance was initially met, but when I showed him the code, he said it was the first time in 7 years anyone has showed him that. He was very helpful and we managed to get my license issued through the loop hole of hunting prior to 1977. This was not a DNR office which I sorta wish it was to see what would have happened.

So, anyone else ever question the DNR on this?

Sorry for the long first post but as a life long hunter, fisherman and gun owner I have to question.

Thanks much
    JC

Welcome to the forum and welcome to Marlandistan (I think). I'll assume you came to Maryland due to work related issues / relocation of firm, because I can not see too many reasons for anyone to "choose" living here who is an avid outdoorsman or gun owner outside of being too mentally unstable to make good decisions. Those of us who were born and raised here are still trying to get out.

To answer your question. This is Marylandistan and MD DNR is a mess and we just gave up asking questions because we realize no one has an answer to any of our questions.

The people who come up with our rules and regs don't know how to answer their own rules and regs. They don't know how or why they wrote them. We just go forward and pray for the best here.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    You probably would have been issued a license. You may not have spoke with a actual DNR officer. Or the Officer may not have been knowledgeable of that article and section. Sounds like not many hunters use that route.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Next year buy your license online. They ask for a certificate # or you can choose the option of "hunted before 1977". If you know you took the hunter safety course and get the number wrong, I can't see the harm in that.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Next year buy your license online. They ask for a certificate # or you can choose the option of "hunted before 1977". If you know you took the hunter safety course and get the number wrong, I can't see the harm in that.

I absolutely agree. Even if you have a Green Card or are a Foreign Dignitary, you can get your licenses and permits with no questions asked via those two routes online...

Maryland DNR COMPASS
    - HERE

BirdHunter

Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for the input, and yes the move was work related. I'll probably go the online route next year now that I have my license, it shouldn't be an issue. Just thought it odd there is no mention of the out of state hunting license satisfying the requirement on the DNR website or license application. As hunters we are held to the letter of the law, just like to see it go both ways.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    MD DNR is a large agency that oversees a wide range of environmental issues. If you have questions call the free 877 number AND make sure you talk to someone in the appropriate unit. If you want answers about hunting licenses, talk to someone in Wildlife and Heritage. 877-620-8DNR ext 8540. If you haven't received answers to your questions, it's because you haven't asked anyone or talked to the appropriate people.

BirdHunter

Jan 5, 2013
    I had called DNR, but perhaps as you suggest, was not the right person to get the answer from. Thanks for the phone number, I'll give them a call again and see what they say.

shanewolfe

Sep 4, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    I agree with Pstango. I'm a pretty big fan of the DNR and have never had many issues with them. You just have to get to the correct departments.

I'm really surprised that they get done what they do considering their budget. We also have some of the cheapest hunting licenses I have seen for in-state folks. Out of state is another story, but try looking at an out-of-state license in WV. It's crazy.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    I absolutely agree. Even if you have a Green Card or are a Foreign Dignitary, you can get your licenses and permits with no questions asked via those two routes online...

Maryland DNR COMPASS
    - HERE

Maybe this problem has been corrected with the latest version of the computerized system. Some years back (under the old computerized system) I had a friend visiting from another country I wanted to take goose hunting. We went to a local agent and he answered all the questions but under address, ____(city)________ , Limpopo Provence. The computer would not accept it. After trying several times / ways we gave up and he used my address and just bought a resident license. Yes, technically illegal but we were only hunting a few hours the next morning, I figured if we were checked (unlikely) it'd be easier to beg forgiveness, since there was evidence we did try to get the correct license. I later checked with some other license agents and discovered the foreign resident problem was well known.
    BTW - my bud from the southern hemisphere where it was mid-summer, nearly froze that February morning!:D

Birdhunter, Advice given above is good. The on-line service is the most convenient and most local vendors (since they are not DNR employees) are of little help with questions. Additionally, some (WalMart & Kmart come to mind) have company specific rules in addition to DNR regulations for obtaining a license - i.e. they require a H.S. card for every license purchase. Yeah, it can be pretty confusing.:rolleyes: Welcome to Maryland!:innocent0

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    In Southern Africa it only gets really cold in the mountains. ;)

Yeah, they had some really cold weather one winter... the banana trees in the yard got stunted. :sad20:

That Feb. morning it was in the teens when we were hunting. He wore every piece of clothing he had with him and I still gave him two army blankets to wrap up in.:lol2:
    IIRC it was around 90F back home!:innocent0

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I agree with Pstango. I'm a pretty big fan of the DNR and have never had many issues with them. You just have to get to the correct departments.

I'm really surprised that they get done what they do considering their budget. We also have some of the cheapest hunting licenses I have seen for in-state folks. Out of state is another story, but try looking at an out-of-state license in WV. It's crazy.

Just keep in mind that, believe it or not, there were enough hunters in Maryland who opened their mouths to oppose the increase on hunting licenses and permits this past year. It was supposed to go to $97.00 for Regular Residents, but, it was twarted successfully. So with your statement above... knock on something made of wood.

Also keep in mind that we use to pay $24.50 for our Regular Resident license, Muzzleloader and Bow stamps all on the same ticket. Now we pay $24.50 for the Regular Resident and now have to pay $6.00 for a Bow stamp and $6.00 for a Muzzleloader stamp. Don't think we have not been screwed. All we're getting is the same thing for $12.00 more... yay Marylandistan !

Dec 31, 2012

$119.00 for basic, PLUS a stamp for everything! I am co-owner of WV property but still required to get a non-resident license.
    I don't bother anymore.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    $119.00 for basic, PLUS a stamp for everything! I am co-owner of WV property but still required to get a non-resident license.
    I don't bother anymore.

You may want to double check the WV DNR regs on that one. I am co-owner of some property in WV, and I have never been required to get a non-resident license to hunt my own property. IIRC if you are the land-owner, leasee, or rentor, you do not need a license to hunt on your own property. Once you go onto somebody else's property or public lands you will need a license.

Dec 31, 2012
    You may want to double check the WV DNR regs on that one. I am co-owner of some property in WV, and I have never been required to get a non-resident license to hunt my own property. IIRC if you are the land-owner, leasee, or rentor, you do not need a license to hunt on your own property. Once you go onto somebody else's property or public lands you will need a license.

I would like to go off the lot, thus non-resident license required. It's too pricey to make it worth it so it's easier to stay in WV overnight and drive across the state line back to MD for a hunt, after locking up the CCW...

BirdHunter

Jan 5, 2013
    Just wanted to follow up, I did call the DNR office again and spoke to licensing directly and another person as well. Both were not aware of the section of the code and said the only way was a HS Cert.

The code section is 10.301.1 and item C3 states "(3) Any similar certificate, or hunting license, issued outside the State by a governmental agency, shall be accepted as complying with the requirements of paragraph (1) of this subsection, if the privileges are reciprocal for Maryland residents.

The key words "shall be accepted."

Now, can you get around this by getting the license online? Yes, depending on age, and in my conversation with DNR they alluded to doing it this way. My point here is not to come down on HS courses or that requirement. But, in my opinion the letter of the law is being purposely subverted.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I would like to go off the lot, thus non-resident license required. It's too pricey to make it worth it so it's easier to stay in WV overnight and drive across the state line back to MD for a hunt, after locking up the CCW...

Depending on if you are chummy with your neighbors and hunt their property, you do not need a license to do that if you rent/lease/own the hunting rights to their property. Also there is no requirement to check in the animal if it was harvested on private property in WV.

dlharsh

Feb 13, 2010
    Windsor Mill
    Depending on if you are chummy with your neighbors and hunt their property, you do not need a license to do that if you rent/lease/own the hunting rights to their property. Also there is no requirement to check in the animal if it was harvested on private property in WV.

You have to be a WV resident to hunt on your own property in WV without a license. I own property there also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom