• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    So I have hunted our farm on Savage Mountain pretty close to every single rifle season, the first day especially, since 1982. Barring the two years I spent deployed in the early 1990's.

Every single opening day in the 80's , 90's and early 2000's it sounded like an absolute battlefield. There were literally hundreds of shots. Even a few days to a week into rifle season I would hear a lot of shot, especially the hour or so before dark until dusk.
    Now, fast forward to this year ( and the last 5 years for that matter) I am hearing less and less shots. Two nights ago( Saturday) it was prime hunting conditions, overcast with zero wind and a skiff of snow which had seeing movement much better. From 3:30pm to 5:15pm I heard exactly two shots. that's it !
    However, every year the State will come out with their harvest numbers and claim the numbers are either a record harvest or close to a record harvest. I just don't see it. anyone else concerned about this lack of hunting and or lack of deer ? :sad20:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I bet some guys are getting their deer during bow (now crossbow) season.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    So I have hunted our farm on Savage Mountain pretty close to every single rifle season, the first day especially, since 1982. Barring the two years I spent deployed in the early 1990's.

Every single opening day in the 80's , 90's and early 2000's it sounded like an absolute battlefield. There were literally hundreds of shots. Even a few days to a week into rifle season I would hear a lot of shot, especially the hour or so before dark until dusk.
    Now, fast forward to this year ( and the last 5 years for that matter) I am hearing less and less shots. Two nights ago( Saturday) it was prime hunting conditions, overcast with zero wind and a skiff of snow which had seeing movement much better. From 3:30pm to 5:15pm I heard exactly two shots. that's it !
    However, every year the State will come out with their harvest numbers and claim the numbers are either a record harvest or close to a record harvest. I just don't see it. anyone else concerned about this lack of hunting and or lack of deer ? :sad20:

I hunt in Springfield, WV. Prime conditions as you described. I saw 2 Does the entire 4 days I was out there. Not sure what the hell is going on but this was a first for me.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Yup, crossbow season. I follow a couple hunting groups and quite a few have taken up the crossbow in place of firearms. This season seems either hit or miss on deer seen or shot. Will have to see how numbers pan out.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    A couple of ideas : Fewer hunters overall ; as previously mentioned, hunters getting kills with bow or black powder; guys having to hunt where and when they can, just not when you were there.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Remember, season used to be one week long. Once they changed it to two weeks, the pressure really dropped off.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    I was speaking to one of our DNRP's yesterday and he said that there were fewer hunters in Garrett and Allegany county this year. There are plenty of deer though, our clubs cameras are full of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom