• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    OK,
    I have a cable modem/router set to bridge mode --> feeding into an ASUS router that is running open VP (Nord VPN). The Asus is my wifi and has 4 ethernet ports. my computer is plugged into a port, and the roku is plugged into a port.

The roku finds the "internet" and fires up,, but wont load videos unless I go into the asus router setup and disable the VPN.

So I bought a ethernet 5 port switch to put in between the cable modem and the Asus router, this will let me tap off for the Roku before the asus router.

So I have the feed from the cable modem plugged into port "1" of the switch, the ASus router in another port and the roku in another port (of the switch)
    The Asus IS getting internet from the switch just fine and I can surf the internet on the computer. The Roku is not recognizing the internet from the switch.

Why does the asus router work fine getting feed from the switch, but the roku does not?

KGB-SPY

Sep 30, 2013
    Pikesville, MD
    Your problem there is your modem/router is set to bridge mode therefore it passing wan ip to your asus router which in this case serves as DHCP server (distribution of local IP addresses). Your roku can not obtain an IP address from the modem/router when it’s in that configuration. You might want to look into creating a VLAN for your IOT devices to separate your traffic, but you can be limited by the asus router future set.
    If you can post your asus router model number I can assist further.

Last edited:

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I need to grab some "Internet" BEFORE the ASUS router, as I need non VPN internet for the Roku.
    I had read I need the Cable modem/router in bridge mode so the ASUS router VPN info will "pass through" ?

Sounds like you need to move the switch behind the router.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Thanks, being an "Insurrectionist" is a lot more work than I thought :)
    What you stated make sense now,,, I just need to figure a way to sneak 1 Ethernet connection without VPN,, I don't care if sleepy joe knows I am watching Andy reruns

ASUS RT-AC68U

Your problem there is your modem/router is set to bridge mode therefore it passing wan ip to your asus router which in this case serves as DHCP server (distribution of local IP addresses). Your roku can not obtain an IP address from the modem/router when it’s in that configuration. You might want to look into creating a VLAN for your IOT devices to separate your traffic, but you can be limited by the asus router future set.
    If you can post your asus router model number I can assist further.

KGB-SPY

Sep 30, 2013
    Pikesville, MD
    According to manual https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/E14013_RT-AC68U_manual_v2.pdf your router doesn’t support VLAN, so it’s no go for you. Can you plug your roku into asus router and go in the menu for network settings and check if it’s set to obtain IP dynamically, reboot roku and check the settings again if you are getting a local IP. If that fails, go and set
    static IP 192.168.1.X (X - any available address 2-254) assuming that 192.168.1.1/24 is your asus subnet, if it differs adjust accordingly.
    Set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and gateway to 192.168.1.1 (again assuming that is your asus router IP)
    Save your settings, and try if roku can get on line.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Thanks,
    I'll give it a whirl later.

What would happen if I turned bridge mode off in the Comcast modem/router and plugged the roku directly into that, I assume the roku would work.

What would happen to the asus router plugged into the Comcast modem/router? or better yet, would it affect my VPN security??

According to manual https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/E14013_RT-AC68U_manual_v2.pdf your router doesn’t support VLAN, so it’s no go for you. Can you plug your roku into asus router and go in the menu for network settings and check if it’s set to obtain IP dynamically, reboot roku and check the settings again if you are getting a local IP. If that fails, go and set
    static IP 192.168.1.X (X - any available address 2-254) assuming that 192.168.1.1/24 is your asus subnet, if it differs adjust accordingly.
    Set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and gateway to 192.168.1.1 (again assuming that is your asus router IP)
    Save your settings, and try if roku can get on line.

KGB-SPY

Sep 30, 2013
    Pikesville, MD
    If you disable bridge mode on Comcast modem/router you will have to go to it’s settings and turn off WiFi completely. Your Comcast will be back as DHCP server and providing 10.0.0.1/24 subnet and your asus router will be as well a DHCP server 192.168.1.1 This configuration is possible but strongly Not Recommend. You will be creating a Double NAT. NAT (Network Address Translation) allows your devices to share a single WAN IP address (provided by your Internet Service Provider) by changing the public IP address to a private IP address. This process also secures your network by blocking any direct access to your local IP address.
    Double NAT is when you connect your router behind another router creating two different private networks. For example, connecting your asus router behind a modem/router provided by your ISP. Double NAT does not prevent your devices access to the internet but may cause problems with playing online games, opening a specific service port, connecting to a VPN tunnel, or visiting secure sites with SSL. Also, the devices connected to the first private network may not be able to communicate to the devices connected to the other private network.

pennyanfernee

Nov 2, 2020
    Is the switch managed or a dummy switch? That makes a lot of difference with how you can configure it (please post model). I agree with putting the wifi router right after edge modem, especially if you're running the VPN off of it. If you don't have a reserved block of static IP addresses, I would disable bridge mode on the modem. You can do Comcast > Switch > Asus or Comcast > Asus > Switch, just statically set whichever comes after the Comcast for a private address and let the Asus handle DHCP or statically assign everything.

If you're having video issues, make sure whatever service you're using for videos isn't blocking the VPN address (they do that for known ones). Or if you statically set your roku, you should be able to make rules to where it can bypass the vpn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom