• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Between here and the Baofeng forums you're the only one who feels this way

I can copy and paste dozens of frequencies and descriptions in 2-3 minutes

I've also been programming radios (manually and with a computer) for the better part of 35 years, most of the users out there that have baofengs are using them illegally (another discussion) and have absolutely no clue what a pl codes, DCS, reverse burst, and offset are. Thanks, I'll stick to 35+ years of experience.

What do you do when you don't have the ability to copy and paste and you ned to add/delete/change frequencies/memories?

This is, after all, a preppers forum, how prepared are you to change the setting on your radio without a computer and software?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm very, very happy to stick with computer-tethered programming for my radios. But sure, I've bothered with setting up a memory slot to talk to a repeater through the radio's native menu system. Naughty user interface designers should be sentenced to a week of doing nothing but operating such radios. It will cure them.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There's more than one radio that can't be programmed or fully programmed from the front panel. (Ham short hand "fpp" = front panel programable/programming.) In today's world, both skills are desirable

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There's more than one radio that can't be programmed or fully programmed from the front panel. (Ham short hand "fpp" = front panel programable/programming.) In today's world, both skills are desirable

The only radios designed to be programmed from the front panel, under FCC rules, are amateur radio service radios. GMRS/FRS radios are not permitted to to be programmed from the front panel per FCC type acceptance. Since those frequencies are known, they don't need to be changed. And while the PL/DPL/DCS might need to be changed by area/location, that is required to be done via software, again, under FCC type acceptance.

Business band radios, likewise, are not permitted to b programmed via front panel per FCC type acceptance. And before you mention commercial radios that have FPP, those are for Fed Government use, which isn't beholden to FCC rules but rather NTIA rules.

If you really want to get into the details of modifying commercial radios for amateur radio use I'll be happy to do that, I've modified a fair number starting back in the 80's when you also had to hack the software and the firmware of the radio to get them to work in the ham bands.

My comment still stands, radios designed for amateur radio use are manually programable out of the box, and any users of said radio need to understand and know how to do so before they take the short cut of programming them with software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom