• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    possibly jellies jams but thinking more vegis and maybe bbq sauce the bbq sauce will have bourbon in it

Veggies need pressure cooker unless you are pickling them. Bbq sauce might be ok as a water bath like jelly but ive never canned bbq sauce

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Your pot needs to be a good 3-4” taller than the jars you will use. For water bath canning, water needs to cover the jars by an inch, then you need space in the pot for a rolling boil.

Also should have something to place on the inside bottom of the pot to keep the jars from sitting directly on the bottom because the direct heat from the pot can cause them to crack. Either a canning basket, or something like this when I’m doing a smaller batch in a smaller pot with smaller jars.

81391f6cb0093761592ec4e785489188.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Your pot needs to be a good 3-4” taller than the jars you will use. For water bath canning, water needs to cover the jars by an inch, then you need space in the pot for a rolling boil.

Also should have something to place on the inside bottom of the pot to keep the jars from sitting directly on the bottom because the direct heat from the pot can cause them to crack. Either a canning basket, or something like this when I’m doing a smaller batch in a smaller pot with smaller jars.

81391f6cb0093761592ec4e785489188.jpg

Thank You I think I need to read some

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    On Thursday I bough a flat (8 quarts) of sweet cherries from Baugher's Farm in Westminster, and spent a good part of the afternoon pitting them. Today we canned Chocolate-Cherry Jam (wow, I'm still giggling about how delicious this is) which yielded 9 half-pint jars; and Brandied Cherries which yielded 6 pints. (Both recipes were from Ball books.) Turned out to be the perfect amount of cherries, for both recipes, with a small amount of both of them left over for quality control.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    On Thursday I bough a flat (8 quarts) of sweet cherries from Baugher's Farm in Westminster, and spent a good part of the afternoon pitting them. Today we canned Chocolate-Cherry Jam (wow, I'm still giggling about how delicious this is) which yielded 9 half-pint jars; and Brandied Cherries which yielded 6 pints. (Both recipes were from Ball books.) Turned out to be the perfect amount of cherries, for both recipes, with a small amount of both of them left over for quality control.

Baughers will pit them for you.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Baughers will pit them for you.

I asked, because I’ve had cherries pitted there before (and it is one amazing machine to watch). But the lady said the pitting machine only works with the smaller sour cherries, and cherries that don’t have the stems on like these did.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I asked, because I’ve had cherries pitted there before (and it is one amazing machine to watch). But the lady said the pitting machine only works with the smaller sour cherries, and cherries that don’t have the stems on like these did.

Oof! Old fashioned way it is then. See why families were so big.. had a kid or three to pit the cherries!

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Yesterday we got around to canning 3 pints of Bread & Butter pickle chips from about 1.5 lbs. of small (~6”) cukes out of our friend’s garden. It was a quick and easy operation that exactly filled 3 jars using 1.5C vinegar, 1.5C sugar, and 2.25 Tbs of Mrs. Wages B&B spice mix. No hot peppers in this batch for a change. I have many months’ worth of chips and other pickles already on the shelf, so these will probably make it onto our sandwiches and burgers later in 2022.

It’s getting to be time to start back up with some hearty stews and soups. We took a quart jar of last year’s Wild Boar Stew with us on a recent camping trip to Elk Neck, and it was maahvelous!

b1b636b759c4967e1dd9697484790073.jpg

NRA Life ∙ MSI ∙ MD Designated Collector ∙ Certified Beer & Mead Judge

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Heads-up in case anyone has one of these on your radar, the All-American pressure canners models 910 and 925 are currently showing in stock. They have been unobtainium for a long time. (We have the 910 and love it. It's the perfect size for the size batches we can, and we use it on our glass-top stove without issues. I would be concerned about the weight on our stove if we had a larger one.)

https://www.allamericancanner.com/All-American-Pressure-Canners.htm

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Heads-up in case anyone has one of these on your radar, the All-American pressure canners models 910 and 925 are currently showing in stock. They have been unobtainium for a long time. (We have the 910 and love it. It's the perfect size for the size batches we can, and we use it on our glass-top stove without issues. I would be concerned about the weight on our stove if we had a larger one.)

https://www.allamericancanner.com/All-American-Pressure-Canners.htm

They are real pricy I have been using a T-fal Pressure Cooker at about 1/3 the cost for a while. If it works it works.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    We overshot picking peaches with the kids just a bit... time to make lots of jam, pies, and other peace-things.

Attachments

• 20210809_135509.jpg
      20210809_135509.jpg
      105.4 KB · Views: 189
    • 20210809_135541.jpg
      20210809_135541.jpg
      111.4 KB · Views: 176

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Veggies need pressure cooker unless you are pickling them. Bbq sauce might be ok as a water bath like jelly but ive never canned bbq sauce

I have a Kansas city recipe that I water bath can, most BBQ sauce's have a high ratio of Vineger/lemon juice, high acid content ingredient, etc, to begin with. Example mine has AC vinegar, ketchup, and lemon juice in it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom