• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Maybe arrange to have a case of his favorite cheap hard liquor delivered to his front door every couple of weeks. He'll drink 'til he passes out on the floor every night until nature takes its course. Cheaper than a $12k survey.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Minimum dwelling size

Most municipalities have a minimum dwelling size and requirements for being hooked up to the power grid and some method of sanitary sewage. I'd report him and get him and his shitbox RV thrown off his own land. He'll then either be forced to pony up and build a house (to code) or bail if he doesn't have the money. That may get rid of him

Steelteacher

Feb 19, 2020
    PG county
    You can get a quickie satellite survey for cheap and fast. I’d get one. Then also get an in person high end survey to get the stakes and super official and accurate markers. Yes to trail cameras, maybe monitoring house as well, if you can conceal them well. Go to the local police now and explain the situation, your concerns, your actions, your will for this to not escalate. Ask for advice and take it- someone in that station probably knows of this guy. Get all up in the law as to when non lethal or lethal force is allowed, and what the limits are on each. Stay safe and protect yourself - legally as well as physically.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    I don’t want to comment too much except to say;
    - court system is now involved
    - property is fully posted
    - more trail cameras are up
    - house is 360* covered in security cameras

Maybe I’ll post back, not sure. This guy either leaves us alone or goes to jail at this point.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

Maybe I’ll post back, not sure. This guy either leaves us alone or goes to jail at this point.

Wishing you a fast and safe resolution. Hope he gets the message.

clint west

Aug 29, 2015
    maryland
    cameras cameras cameras. I run 6 to eight trail cams on my property. Plus I move them around. Don't strap them to trees. The strap is a sign that reads " Please steal this cam" I make stands out of rebar, easy to plant and move around. I think you can still get analog video cam systems for your house, if you want to stay unconnected to the internet. For his claim about the property line, you would likely have to hire a surveyor. The state or county GIS online is wildly inaccurate. A surveyor will find and expose, or set pipe or rebar/cap on your property corners according to your deed. Keep everything well documented. Some years later when the kook causes and incident, you will then come to court with a mountain of evidence of his actions

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

Thanks for the update :thumbsup:
    Good Luck with the neighbor. Sucks to buy a piece of property and not have the peace of mind you hoped for.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Most counties have something similar to this. They are usually pretty accurate. https://gis.aacounty.org/gcx/WebViewer/?app=c82c5cff02544a56af888e4ff5c166a2
    I have 2 crazy neighbors and I ended up having to get a survey despite knowing where most of the property stakes were so I could defend myself against the crazier of the two in court over his attemp to take ownership of dead trees cut well within my property. The survey was dead on to Baltimore county's GIS. OnX hunt might be worth checking out. it meshes up county GIS data with GPS on your phone.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Dammit I hate a cliffhanger

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    cameras cameras cameras. I run 6 to eight trail cams on my property. Plus I move them around. Don't strap them to trees. The strap is a sign that reads " Please steal this cam" I make stands out of rebar, easy to plant and move around.

Aren't cameras in random locations on rebar stakes even more obvious than cameras strapped in trees? I would think they would be easier to see. Do you have a method to make them less noticable?

I think you can still get analog video cam systems for your house, if you want to stay unconnected to the internet.

I may have said this in this thread already, but there are ethernet and wifi cameras that can be configured upload to an ftp server (Amcrest and Foscam, for example). If you can handle installing linux on an old pc and setting up your own ftp server, you can use an old router with no internet connection to set up a single purpose network, no worry about them phoning home or getting hacked from elsewhere, no monthly cloud storage fees.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Aren't cameras in random locations on rebar stakes even more obvious than cameras strapped in trees? I would think they would be easier to see. Do you have a method to make them less noticable?

You could always put a few "obvious" cameras out there as well as some hidden ones. Might want to have a hidden one pointing at the obvious camera to catch and damage that may be done to it.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    You could always put a few "obvious" cameras out there as well as some hidden ones. Might want to have a hidden one pointing at the obvious camera to catch and damage that may be done to it.

Not a bad idea. Tractor supply often has low end models at clearance prices, especially when hunting season is over. They would make good decoys.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    there’s a limited number of properties with convenient commute to work, but unlimited supply of crazy ahole neighbors.

Almost everyone on this thread has experienced this situation — wherever one moves, it’s likely to repeat.

Gosh ain’t that the truth. My place isn’t that large, only 4.4 acres. Most of my neighbors range from decent to great. But at the back diagonal of my property is the “compound”. They have a sunken garage with “fallout shelter” spray painted in 2’ high red spray paint on it.

It’s the mom, boys and their wives and at least a couple grand kids living there (the family patriarch apparently died about 8-10 years ago). 6’. High velvet Jesus portrait in the entryway (taking my next door neighbors word for that one as I’ve never been over). Back yard, that is fortunately screened by bamboo forest is a junkyard. Tons of feral farm animals from ducks, turkeys and chickens to goats. Geese too. No cars or trucks on blocks, but at least two riding mowers on blocks. They like to blast country music at conversational levels for me sitting on my back porch 250yds away (at least when they do it, it’s usually halfway decent stuff and I don’t really like country. Well, not much).

About every 4-6 weeks in warm months I can hear the boys scream at each other how they’ll “****ing kill you, you ****ing bitch!” “No I’ll kill you!”

The occasional gun shot. Once a gun shot after hearing them screaming at each other. So far haven’t heard of any bodies carried out of there. I think the cops have only showed once in the 3 years I’ve lived here.

But they stay on their property, so it could be a lot worse. I don’t see the worst eye sores of their property even in winter and they don’t trespass and no lead has come my way.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I may have said this in this thread already, but there are ethernet and wifi cameras that can be configured upload to an ftp server (Amcrest and Foscam, for example). If you can handle installing linux on an old pc and setting up your own ftp server, you can use an old router with no internet connection to set up a single purpose network, no worry about them phoning home or getting hacked from elsewhere, no monthly cloud storage fees.

Honestly just go with Eufy cams. I’ve yet to see anything that indicates they are scraping your videos. Either in reviews or studying my own network traffic. Video is stored on the base station in your house. Can set notifications on your phone. Will work with Apple HomeKit Secure video is you want to go that route. The cameras work pretty well. Somewhat limited as you can’t do a relay to the home station AFAIK. But I have them working done through several walls and about 70ft from my wireless router. You can have multiple base stations for storage and connectivity. For instance when I build a detached garage about 40yds from my house I plan to get another one and a couple cameras for some security for the building, plus a better eye on deer where I’ve been feeding them (which is about 20yds from where I’d be building the detached garage).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom