• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • [Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I hope the range stalls allows shooters to be next to each other and not have to socially distance.

Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    For those that did not receive the email . . .

Hap Baker Firearms Facility to Reopen Mid-April
    Westminster, MD, Thursday, March 25, 2021 – Hap Baker Firearms Facility, currently closed while undergoing construction, is expected to reopen in mid-April.

Users can look forward to the following facility updates and improvements:

• The 200-yard berm in the rifle range was regraded and rebuilt, with the side berm elevated to exceed 8 feet, meeting the recently updated NRA range standards.
    • The pistol range was lengthened from 17 to 25 yards and each stall now has its own lighting overhead.
    • The pistol range’s target retrieval system was upgraded with each bench upgraded to an individual stall to protect shooters from casing discharge and reduce noise.
    • Construction of a new building at the range is underway to replace the former construction trailer that had exceeded its useful lifespan.
    Carroll County Recreation & Parks looks forward to welcoming members and daily users back to the facility soon. Please continue to check ccrecpark.org for more information about Hap Baker Firearms Facility.

Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    For those that do not receive the emails . . .

Westminster, MD, Friday, April 9, 2021 – Hap Baker Firearms Facility is set to reopen Wednesday, April 14, 2021.

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    Hopefully one day they will get rid of the 2 second rule too.

Yeah, that is the biggest reason I stopped going there as often. It's a shame because of how close it is to me, but 2 second rule makes it so boring. And even more absurd that rule applies to the pistol range too. It's like they hate my money.

Onwrd Farm

Ultimate Member
    Feb 17, 2013
    Carroll County
    Ended up heading to Haps a week or so ago. Saturday afternoon. Was later in the day and there was only 1 other guy shooting when I got there. RSO 'S were 2 older guys, very nice, welcoming. Told them I had been there a few times before so I did not have to get the whole rules lecture.
    Was nice to be there without the crowds. Was taking my new AR out for a spin and a sight in. Only 2 more people showed up while I was on the rifle range. Chatted with 1 about our rifles, I told him it was nice seeing both him and the other guy bring their youngish kids with them.
    The rifle range itself did not seem all that different to me.
    The pistol range tho was definently up graded. New dividers to keep from getting hit by others brass and a new pulley system for the targets. I dont know if the pulleys need oil, or broken in but they did take more then average strength to make them work.
    All in all it was a good experience. Planning on buying a year membership this year since my days off have actually started lining out to not always being Monday and Tuesday when Haps is closed.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I just received this via email from the county rec and parks:

Effective August 1, 2021, the Hap Baker Firearms Facility will be open between the hours of 10 am and 4:30 pm, not 10 am – 6 pm. The days will remain the same.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I’m not getting my annual badge this year for first time, I’ve gotten one every year since the place opened. The 6 month shutdown winter/spring this year, and no pro-rated refund for the annual badge members for those months, or at least a few months membership extension to the badge holders. Plus they took hours off the schedule instead of adding them. Closing at 6:00 pm was too early as it is in summer when it’s light until after 9:00pm. Plus, you can’t shoot up until closing anyway, they always close early, by at least 30 min but often an hour (they do their best to persuade you to pack up and leave at least 60 minutes before closing) and don’t let a new shooter onto the rifle range after 4:30pm (this is when open until 6:00pm, so I guess now it’ll be 3:00pm?). This has been my home range for a very long time, now they can kiss my a**. Going to greener pastures somewhere now I suppose.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    I’m not getting my annual badge this year for first time, I’ve gotten one every year since the place opened. The 6 month shutdown winter/spring this year, and no pro-rated refund for the annual badge members for those months, or at least a few months membership extension to the badge holders. Plus they took hours off the schedule instead of adding them. Closing at 6:00 pm was too early as it is in summer when it’s light until after 9:00pm. Plus, you can’t shoot up until closing anyway, they always close early, by at least 30 min but often an hour (they do their best to persuade you to pack up and leave at least 60 minutes before closing) and don’t let a new shooter onto the rifle range after 4:30pm (this is when open until 6:00pm, so I guess now it’ll be 3:00pm?). This has been my home range for a very long time, now they can kiss my a**. Going to greener pastures somewhere now I suppose.

I've had a number of bad experiences there sprinkled with one or two positive ones. We once waited 90 minutes for a lane only to be told at 2:00pm that we should just go home because we won't be able to shoot that day. I cannot believe that they didn't credit you for being closed six months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom