• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Removed the points system and replaced with a pertronix electronic ignition. Ballast bypassed. Outside of that everything else is original.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Removed the points system and replaced with a pertronix electronic ignition. Ballast bypassed. Outside of that everything else is original.

Pertronix points eliminator is without doubt the BEST 70 or 80 bucks one can invest. I discovered them 25 or so years ago, never had one go bad either. :thumbsup:
    Replacing plugs alone every 5 or 10K goes up to 30K, the labor alone is a godsend!

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Pertronix points eliminator is without doubt the BEST 70 or 80 bucks one can invest. I discovered them 25 or so years ago, never had one go bad either. :thumbsup:
    Replacing plugs alone every 5 or 10K goes up to 30K, the labor alone is a godsend!

I agree 100%. It's really a no brainier .

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    The most important prepper vehicle is a bicycle.

In a War of the Worlds shtf, a bike, atv, or dirt bike to get out of town if you city becomes a war zone.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    [Kev308];6348643 said:
    The most important prepper vehicle is a bicycle.

In a War of the Worlds shtf, a bike, atv, or dirt bike to get out of town if you city becomes a war zone.

*****You're right of course, but I would add that you need to be healthy enough to use the bike, or ATV, etc... It has been my experience that most people don't really take their health that seriously and kind of assume perhaps that they will be able to ride a bike, or deal with the stress from a bad situation, etc.. even though they don't really do much or any exercise or movement during the week.

I have a tenant in Germantown, who is not that old (late 30's), but he smokes and is a bit heavy and does not exercise who had a really bad experience a month or so back: his car broke down not even 1/2 mile away from his home off Germantown Rd, which has a bit of hill before his development and he starts walking home and starts having chest pain walking up the road. Thankfully, he called his wife who immediately called EMS after listening to him and they rushed him to the hospital. He had had a mild heart attack and was in surgery within a few hours for quad bypass surgery, which saved his life. He was almost completely plugged up with atherosclerotic plaque and he was lucky he didn't just die out on Germantown Rd walking up a smallish hill to his home super nearby.

If there is a SHTF situation, not being healthy or very out of shape is not going to be helpful under an already stressful situation. It's nice having a plan and prepping (I've done it, mebbe not as extensive as others, but I have food, water, some money, bartering goods, a sweet ass, etc..), but health is something that younger people take for granted that becomes somewhat perishable once a person is older if they don't actively work on it.

Someone else on MDS posted a really cool pic I'm reposting below. Meaning no disrespect to anyone, the picture below is an attitude that I see very often in the general population.

Also, if you have to lift something heavy, say dead weight, use your legs and not your back as much as possible. Another helpful tip in some situations...:innocent0

Attachments

• pills.jpg
      pills.jpg
      23.3 KB · Views: 217
    • safety-first.jpg
      safety-first.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 218

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Some comments in the You are getting Old(er) thread, and watching the new War of the Worlds got me thinking.

One might consider getting a vehicle from an older/simpler time.

A vehicle without any electronics will survive and run after an EMP strike.

So back to Points and a coil, carburetor, no anti lock brakes.

Just a discussion point.

I'm thinking just raid the junkyard for spares like the ECM and coilpacks. Keep them shielded, replace them after SHTF and you'll have a functional modern vehicle.

Granted, some stuff like the radio might not work, but likely there won't be any working radio stations after SHTF anyway.

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    Won't the pumps at the gas stations be out of commission too unless they have manual override of some sort? I dropped an LS in my '69 Camaro so I'm hosed, but I do have a bike!

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'm thinking just raid the junkyard for spares like the ECM and coilpacks. Keep them shielded, replace them after SHTF and you'll have a functional modern vehicle.

Maybe.

It depends upon how modern it is. As I understand it, in more and more vehicles ECMs and even relatively minor electronic components must be reprogrammed to function if you install them new or move them to a different car. Major farm and heavy equipment manufacturers are doing it too.

Theft prevention or dealer revenue stream, take your pick.

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    John Matherson would perhaps recommend his MIL's 1959 Ford Edsel.

Read the "One Second After" trilogy by William Forstchen.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Maybe.

It depends upon how modern it is. As I understand it, in more and more vehicles ECMs and even relatively minor electronic components must be reprogrammed to function if you install them new or move them to a different car. Major farm and heavy equipment manufacturers are doing it too.

Theft prevention or dealer revenue stream, take your pick.

Yeap. And some cars have multiple computers. All of which need to be replaced and then programmed to work in THAT car.

And a very large EMP would also affect the wiring itself.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pretty much anything pre-73 or so should be fine.

No fancy electronics.

clint west

Aug 29, 2015
    maryland
    non computer controlled vehicles

re: storing spare coil etc in metal box - don't forget spare condensers and probably solenoids, voltage regulators

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom