• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Don't be afraid to ask questions. It's how we learn.

A user that joined 2 days ago made an offer on a firearm for sale here, sealed the deal and then told the seller that his mother would be providing the identification for the purchase.

I don't understand. If his "mother" presents HER id then wouldn't that be perfectly acceptable, as she would be the buyer ?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I don't understand. If his "mother" presents HER id then wouldn't that be perfectly acceptable, as she would be the buyer ?

No, that's a textbook straw purchase. Like individual presents themselves as the ultimate buyer/recipient of the firearm while someone else is the "face" of the transaction, so to speak.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    In once used my father as proof of age to drink. We looked just like each other.....

It worked!

Does that mean I drank my beer through a straw? :rolleyes:

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Alas, the being able to get a feel for someone. I just read all of your previous posts on MDShooters and was easily able to determine you seem legit. If I was selling .223 brass, powder, primers, etc, I wouldn't hesitate to sell to you. I would also sell you a gun with my standard: bill of sale, copy of your DL, etc. Obviously handguns require MSP, background check, HQL, etc.
    It isn't hard to pick out a newbie who is legit and seeking info vs. a troll/anti on a gun forum.

Pretty much nailed it. Next step is getting a long range rifle. Just trying to figure out the money part.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    No, that's a textbook straw purchase. Like individual presents themselves as the ultimate buyer/recipient of the firearm while someone else is the "face" of the transaction, so to speak.

Okay, that makes sense. I'm imagining myself in a store with my mother and I say something like "Mom that's a beautiful SKS, please buy it for me", and she presents her id to buy it but the clerk heard my comment.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Twice this past month I have received offers to buy from the classified adds here from 0 post buyers.
    One Just Joined in March. The other has been member since 2015, still zero posts and offered to buy.
    I politely said that I don't post to zero/low count posters and encouraged them to post to introductions than make a few posts per week and get back to me in a few weeks.

I know many would balk at the idea but I would actually be in favor of a 10 post or some sort of minimum post count to even VIEW the classifieds.

And another zero count wants to buy my pistol this morning.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    This kid was back under a different username today.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Glad you caught him.

We still have our own users, who ostensibly know the rules, posting items for sale with a "value" instead of ab"price" as is required. That's solicitous.

At least the kid is arguably naive AND persistent.

Last edited:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Okay, that makes sense. I'm imagining myself in a store with my mother and I say something like "Mom that's a beautiful SKS, please buy it for me", and she presents her id to buy it but the clerk heard my comment.

My understanding is Mom can buy it for you, but you as the owner need to fill out the 4473. She cannot buy and 4473, then turn around and give it to you.

Q

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Out the IP address and then invite him to be moderator at the pig roast...

My guess is some Dem staffer or reporter. Didn't one of our "esteemed" Congress critters get the GAO to fail doing the same thing? Cummings wasn't it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom