• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdrpd

Mar 20, 2018
    I put in for my collector's license about two weeks ago. Have gotten my HQL back but no word on my collector's license. Just wondering if there's a place to check that or what to expect?

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I know this is a personal question but do you already own a handgun or lower receiver that went through MD's 77r process? If not, it may be taking a while because they have to do "more investigation" or are going to deny it.

I know a couple of guys that put in their request for collector status before they had put any firearms through the 77r and it was denied. When they called the MSP, they were told, "how can you be a collector without a collection?" Once they put a firearm though the 77r they resubmitted the collectors status and got it about 2 to 3 weeks later.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    From past experience I believe you have to have one handgun in MDSP system to get the Designated Collector letter. There is a number you can call, on the MSP web site and speak to an officer to check your status. I do not recall her name but she is very helpful. fred55

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I've had mine for about 20 years and I believe it took about three weeks. It's just a letter from the MSP stating that I am a collector and it allows me to do is buy an handgun in Maryland without having to wait 30 day wait between each handgun purchase. I still have to go thru the normal 7 day wait period for each handgun though.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    There has been some debate recently whether MDSP is actually sending confirmation letters of your DC status. Some say with the "all electronic" process they are unnecessary and MDSP may not send a letter. Of course, how are you supposed to know without the letter? Some people though have reported not getting them. FFLs never ask for them, you just check the box on your 77e.

The process takes 2-4 weeks. As mentioned earlier, you must have a registered firearm (77r) before they process it.

mdrpd

Mar 20, 2018
    I did have one I bought back before the ban in 2013. Don't know if that would count or not.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I did have one I bought back before the ban in 2013. Don't know if that would count or not.

As long as you own a regulated firearm, you’re good to go. There is only one Trooper that processes them, so be patient. The letter will come. Most people we help to complete the affidavit and notarized it take about 7-10 days, but others have taken weeks. It’s all depends on busy the Trooper is.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Why does one need a regulated firearm "in The System" to be a collector?

Perhaps you had a collection before there was a system.
    Perhaps you moved into the state and brought your collection with you before FS2013.
    Perhaps you collect unregulated long guns.

I know it is Maryland and nothing they do makes sense.

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Recently got mine, late March I think. Had several 77rs throughout the years, took 3-4 weeks, if memory serves, to get the letter.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Why does one need a regulated firearm "in The System" to be a collector?

Perhaps you had a collection before there was a system.
    Perhaps you moved into the state and brought your collection with you before FS2013.
    Perhaps you collect unregulated long guns.

I know it is Maryland and nothing they do makes sense.

I'm not sure the particulars of the old law that gave us the designated collectors status. It may have required that you have firearms that MD knows about, what I have seen is this is what the MSP seems to follow.

I will give you your point about a previous collection but there will be fewer and fewer that this applies to as the years go by.

The designated collectors has nothing to do with FSA2013. This has been around since long before that travesty.

If you moved into maryland, then you are required to register all of your handguns, hence you will be known to the MSP and it should not be a problem to get the designated collectors status.

Designated collectors has no real effect on long guns since they are not regulated by Maryland. it only effects the Maryland regulated firearms.

Good points thou. I always feel that if it makes any sense then it cannot be the way it works in MD.

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville
    Took 7 business days for mine , did it right after a handgun purchase/pick up , was told they won’t approve you if you haven’t bought a registered firearm or no hql

Having it has made me broke lol

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I'm not sure the particulars of the old law that gave us the designated collectors status. It may have required that you have firearms that MD knows about, what I have seen is this is what the MSP seems to follow.

I will give you your point about a previous collection but there will be fewer and fewer that this applies to as the years go by.

The designated collectors has nothing to do with FSA2013. This has been around since long before that travesty.

If you moved into maryland, then you are required to register all of your handguns, hence you will be known to the MSP and it should not be a problem to get the designated collectors status.

Designated collectors has no real effect on long guns since they are not regulated by Maryland. it only effects the Maryland regulated firearms.

Good points thou. I always feel that if it makes any sense then it cannot be the way it works in MD.

Before FS2013 if you moved to Maryland there was no requirement to register your handguns so there is no telling how many collections were here.

There are probably more ways to collect firearms without including any that are Maryland "Regulated" a C&R collection for example. So in effect the state will force you to purchase a regulated firearm, that now includes the cost and training requirements of obtaining an HQL, and be entered into a database in order to receive Designated Collector status and be able to transport some or all of your collection for display because I am sure they would argue that one can not be a "Bona Fide Collectors of Firearms" and not have a Designated Collector recognition from the Maryland State Police.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... was told they won’t approve you if you haven’t bought a registered firearm or no hql

..l

If you never bought a handgun in Maryland, why would you need an exemption from "one per month?"

You don't need an exemption until your second or third purchase within 30 days.

Not really unreasonable they expect to see at least one handgun purchase.

... So in effect the state will force you to purchase a regulated firearm, that now includes the cost and training requirements of obtaining an HQL, and be entered into a database in order to receive Designated Collector status and be able to transport some or all of your collection for display because I am sure they would argue that one can not be a "Bona Fide Collectors of Firearms" and not have a aDesignated Collector recognition from the Maryland State Police.

Oh not this nonsense again.

The only purpose of the Designated Collector status is to exempt the holder from "one handgun per month." That's all it is.

It has nothing to do with handgun transport.

The idea that it serves any, any, ANY other legal purpose is nothing but internet ********. The State Police and the Attorney General have no such idea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom