• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Resurrection of a good thread with the currently wacky world view. 4k for a stainless antenna ball? The world has truly go off the hook with wackiness

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Funny, I just made a CB purchase. I was riding around the outer loop of the beltway the other day, and was surrounded by protest trucker folks in all sorts of rigs. Seemed very likely there would have been some coordinating CB chatter, and I realized that I was missing that sort of device. So I purchased a simple little Midland 75-822 hand-held that converts to an in-the-vehicle tethered radio for power and an external antenna when you want range. And in a pinch, I can untether it and pop on the rubber duck and battery base, and I've got an HT in that band (with of course limited range). So far, I'm mostly getting Spanish-speaking guys camped out on channel 9 talking about landscaping equipment repairs. They don't seem to get the whole "channel 9" thing. But it's good to have one in the truck, just as another option along side the fancier Yaesu VHF/UHF rig.

51AJMC8FbjL._AC_.jpg

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Funny, I just made a CB purchase. I was riding around the outer loop of the beltway the other day, and was surrounded by protest trucker folks in all sorts of rigs. Seemed very likely there would have been some coordinating CB chatter, and I realized that I was missing that sort of device. So I purchased a simple little Midland 75-822 hand-held that converts to an in-the-vehicle tethered radio for power and an external antenna when you want range. And in a pinch, I can untether it and pop on the rubber duck and battery base, and I've got an HT in that band (with of course limited range). So far, I'm mostly getting Spanish-speaking guys camped out on channel 9 talking about landscaping equipment repairs. They don't seem to get the whole "channel 9" thing. But it's good to have one in the truck, just as another option along side the fancier Yaesu VHF/UHF rig.

51AJMC8FbjL._AC_.jpg

We have the same radios my wife has one and I have one in our Jeeps. They are great for bug out and the occasional muck up on the roadways along off roading. We also have 3-foot firestick tunable external antennas which help boost the range. They are better than the small handheld Cobra model. Just wish they were Bluetooth.

KiloTango

Mar 11, 2021
    The Midland 75-822 is handy to have around. I like how it can pack down easily and deploy quickly on the road.

KiloTango

Mar 11, 2021
    OK, are any of the 71 people buying $4000 antenna toppers on MDS? Let me know if you want to measure its performance in an RF chamber or model it in an Ansys HFSS simulation. Thanks for the ebay link, got a good chuckle out of it. Going to share it with my engineer friends.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'm not sure you guys understand how evilBay works.
    A seller will do this to the price when they want to temporarily halt sales but don't want to end the listing.

None of those were sold for more than $11.50.

www.ebay.com/bin/purchaseHistory?item=202203623915

I was wondering if that was the case when I first saw this conversation. When he's temporarily out of stock, its probably easier to do that than pull the ad and then post another one later. Do you have to pay when putting up an ad, or only when it sells?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

51AJMC8FbjL._AC_.jpg

I'm hearing a lot of Spanish chatter on channel 9 up my way too. I'm wondering if they've made it their own channel now?

I like that Midland model BTW. It's kind of a cross between those "One Hander" and the "Emergency" type radios.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I'm hearing a lot of Spanish chatter on channel 9 up my way too. I'm wondering if they've made it their own channel now?

I like that Midland model BTW. It's kind of a cross between those "One Hander" and the "Emergency" type radios.
    The sunspots are up these days so you might be hearing some south Americans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom