• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you think Timonium ammo prices are unbelievable , you haven't been to other gun shows recently . This was actually slightly more reasonable by comparison .

$40 is ( this month's ) New Normal , and $35 and $38 are the bargains .

Bottom line - If for whatever reason , you have a 9mn ( or .380 ) pistol with Zero ammo , you will do whatever you have to pay to have means to load up at least once for gun & all mags . Few people will stock up' a reserve of more than 100 rounds .

And yes , it is indeed now a thing for guys to clean out their garage/ gun room of everything ammunition , and either wholesale it to a vendor , or rent their own table to sell directly . Supply/ demand . The buyers willing snatch it up , the sellers get enough $$ to take a vacation , buy guns , whatever .

I was amazed @ Timonium to see circa 1950 Remington paper roll crimp shotshells for sale . No , Not a figure of speech . I am familiar with circa 1950 Remington shotshells ( Dad had stocked deep before I was born , and I later on fired plenty of them ) , and I mean this literally .

Actually I was tempted to buy them , as they are probably worth more as collectables than as Zombie ammo . Definitely would be if in original boxes .

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Bottom line - If for whatever reason , you have a 9mn ( or .380 ) pistol with Zero ammo , you will do whatever you have to pay to have means to load up at least once for gun & all mags . Few people will stock up' a reserve of more than 100 rounds .

This is true- I would too if I were in their shoes. Most of the folks I see at shows, not all of course though, fall into these groups. Same as the folks in a lot of the LGS, Big-Box Firearms retailers, and even probably a large portion of the membership on the site here.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Spent two days working the MSI table...

• got to hang out with good great company
    • got to see some old friends
    • welcomed new members and returning members to MSI
    • helped some new 2A community members in their quest for knowledge and dispel some 2A myths for them
    • DESTROYED the notions of a highly anti 2A person who had a table and was selling pro joe Biden t-shirts and signs. So badly... that she packed up her wares and left the show... did not come back for day two. She very errantly and foolishly tried to convince me that the 2A was only for muskets... no one needs more than ten bullets... orange man BAD... and other BS anti 2A myths and lies.

Those who missed the show... missed the show. And therefore missed the opportunity to help MSI, the good Maryland LGS vendors, and the new to the party folks who really need guidance in their trek into new territories.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    800-X and IMR Red @ $24 each . Big selection of Powders from IMR , Hodgon, Win, and Western ( Ramshot) . Primers must have been sold heavily before I wandered by .

NICS was running slow in the afternoon , about 2hrs I was told . There was a waiting area with chairs in back . ( My pickup was from a private seller , so couldn't say personally ).

Primers were pretty well gone when I cruised by around 11:30.

ETA: RD is right; there were a lot of productive and educational conversations at the MSI booth. For those who are on the fence about pulling a shift - DO IT! You'll have a good time and have some really great conversations.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    • DESTROYED the notions of a highly anti 2A person who had a table and was selling pro joe Biden t-shirts and signs. So badly... that she packed up her wares and left the show... did not come back for day two. She very errantly and foolishly tried to convince me that the 2A was only for muskets... no one needs more than ten bullets... orange man BAD... and other BS anti 2A myths and lies.

Were they there just to troll, or for some other idiotic reason???

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Were they there just to troll, or for some other idiotic reason???

I suspect that there was a two fold reason for her to be there. Sales ($$$) and reaching out to folks to spread her agenda. Especially those who were there fresh from the left, and still agreeable/receptive to a Biden vote and #nevertrumps.

She had both Trump and Biden things on her table. But she largely ignored the table with the Trump paraphernalia unless someone asked for something from it... spending the bulk of her time at the Biden area talking to anyone who showed any interest. For some unknown reason she chose to come out from behind her tables and engage in a conversation with yours truly. And she was very vocal about her thoughts about the 2A. So... I took the opportunity to respond to the fallacies she spouted off... with the actual truth for each one. She then went to work packing up her things. And a short time later... I watched her carting everything from her table out to her vehicle. The second day, she did not return.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Primers were pretty well gone when I cruised by around 11:30.

ETA: RD is right; there were a lot of productive and educational conversations at the MSI booth. For those who are on the fence about pulling a shift - DO IT! You'll have a good time and have some really great conversations.

Yes... we DID have a good time. Bigfoot44 snared some good deals... I got a couple SD items for the girls and a box of ammo from FFBWMD.

One bad thing about the show... was the LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG line to get in.

One really great thing about the show... was the LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG line to get in.

It was great to see so many more folks coming out to see what was going on. Much more than previous shows over the last couple years. I saw a host of new faces and representation from far more race/culture/etc... than other shows from the past. One could actually say... a better cross representation of America. I am sure that many of them are scared... new to this... wanting help... sadly... lack of support seems to be a problem from some folks who only go if there is something obviously in it for them.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I suspect that there was a two fold reason for her to be there. Sales ($$$) and reaching out to folks to spread her agenda. Especially those who were there fresh from the left, and still agreeable/receptive to a Biden vote and #nevertrumps.

She had both Trump and Biden things on her table. But she largely ignored the table with the Trump paraphernalia unless someone asked for something from it... spending the bulk of her time at the Biden area talking to anyone who showed any interest. For some unknown reason she chose to come out from behind her tables and engage in a conversation with yours truly. And she was very vocal about her thoughts about the 2A. So... I took the opportunity to respond to the fallacies she spouted off... with the actual truth for each one. She then went to work packing up her things. And a short time later... I watched her carting everything from her table out to her vehicle. The second day, she did not return.

Good man!

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member

You've got to be one of God's "special creatures" to try and promote gun control at a gun show

I mean...the mind boggles at how dumb people can be

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    It was great to see so many more folks coming out to see what was going on. Much more than previous shows over the last couple years. I saw a host of new faces and representation from far more race/culture/etc... than other shows from the past. One could actually say... a better cross representation of America. I am sure that many of them are scared... new to this... wanting help... sadly... lack of support seems to be a problem from some folks who only go if there is something obviously in it for them.

This is a really good point. The future needs to be as diverse as our country is and will become over time. Every family tradition, responsible firearms ownership for many, starts with a single individual.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I'm going to bump this thread instead of starting a new one: I've been introducing a friend of my son's to shooting and today the boy's Dad tells me he wants to get an HQL and buy a handgun. He has never owned a gun before, so I told him I'd ask for recommendations on an HQL training class in the Baltimore - Harford County area.

Karma can be a strange thing....
    The gentleman I spoke about in my first quote got his hql and just purchased his first handgun last week, an FNH 509 tactical. Oddly enough his son was telling me about this exactly one day after I won the 300 rds of Fiocchi 9mm offered up as Karma by CanDoEz. This man became a new gun owner during one of the worst supply crunches in modern history and I was just given 300 rounds of 9mm.
    Karma can be a strange thing, to me it felt like I won this prize just so I could pass it along to this new gun owner. I was glad to get it, I was just as glad to give it to someone who I knew needed it more than I.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Two months ago I would have recommended a prospective totally new handgun owner to aproach the situation backwards . Get the ammo first , and then select a matching pistol .

There was a window when 9mm and .380 were gone , but I continued picking up .45acp , .40 , .32acp, and 10mm . But at this moment most of what's on local shelves is .357 Sig .

And , if one can primarily only find generic FMJ , then bonus points for .45acp .

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Thanks RoadDawg for straightening her out! I'm so glad she decided to choose you to engage!

I wanted to stop by this weekend, but too many balls in the air at once.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Thanks RoadDawg for straightening her out! I'm so glad she decided to choose you to engage!

I wanted to stop by this weekend, but too many balls in the air at once.

Don’t know why she picked me... but... I tried to remain calm, civil, informative, and not seem to be rude. So... she listened... thanked me for the information and left.

Sorry you guys didn’t get to visit. Next time:thumbsup:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Two months ago I would have recommended a prospective totally new handgun owner to aproach the situation backwards . Get the ammo first , and then select a matching pistol .

There was a window when 9mm and .380 were gone , but I continued picking up .45acp , .40 , .32acp, and 10mm . But at this moment most of what's on local shelves is .357 Sig .

And , if one can primarily only find generic FMJ , then bonus points for .45acp .

This is what we should be advising every potential new gun buyer

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom