Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 11th, 2020, 03:56 PM #1

HORNADY - LOCK-N-LOAD AUTO PROGRESSIVE PRESS

newbie to reloading. 1st task will be to load longer range .223 for 2 & 3 gun matches out to 500yds. i've been using black hills blue box reloads with 69g smks but they no longer make reloaded ammo plus of course everything is out of stock. let's say 1k/year.

2nd task would be basic 9mm for uspsa and 2 & 3 gun matches. let's say 2-3k/yr

3rd would be for hunting ammo (7 stw, 300 wsm) let's say 1-200 rounds/year.

4th would be for match prs ammo (6.5 creed, .308 and .224 valk) that i'd want as accurate (low SD) as possible. let's say 600 rounds/yr.

is this loader good/bad/ugly for what i want? better choices?

and yes i see that primers are OOS! sure powder is too but no idea what i need or want yet for that.

i guess the big thing i want is that once i have settings set (seating depth, neck tension, case length, etc) i really want those locked in and never have to test/measure/change again. that's prob more a function of dies than press i guess?

thanks!
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2020, 04:49 PM #2
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Buy once, cry once. Dillon 650.
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2020, 05:11 PM #3
DINO Extraordinaire

DINO Extraordinaire

I am in a similar situation. In our new house I will have a designated spot for gun stuff and I plan on getting started with reloading.

What about dillon 550?

Rob

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If the government fears the people, there is freedom.
If the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

The purpose of the 2nd amendment is not hunting, not sport, not self defense, but freedom from tyranny.

Second Amendment Foundation -- Maryland Shall Issue -- NRA Life Member
rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2020, 05:20 PM #4
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I am in a similar situation. In our new house I will have a designated spot for gun stuff and I plan on getting started with reloading.

What about dillon 550?

Rob

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I got a Dillon 550, and have no complaints. I do find myself wishing Id have gotten a 650 for the extra features. I can turn out good quantities of ammo.
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2020, 05:27 PM #5

Hornady -Lock-n-Load

Been reloading for about 50 yrs. I have used both Hornady and Dillon. I had good use from both, but I wound up with Hornady Progressives. One set up for pistol, one for .223 rifle. Heavier rifle, I go to a turret or single stage. Hornady had excellant service, I literally rebuild one of the Progressives after 15 years of service,at no cost, with factory furnished parts. I have heard they are getting tighter about life time replacement of parts. Dillon was good, but the one I had required propritory dies, and I like RCBS dies. Either one requires care in set up and "fine tuning" to get them working smoothly. Either one should work fine. I always thought Dillon was a bit pricey on parts and accessories, just MHO.
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2020, 08:11 AM #6
The Hebrew Hammer

The Hebrew Hammer

People are recommending the Dillon because it tends to have a better rep than the Hornady. I've never really seen someone say "the jump from the 650XL to the LnL progressive was a great decision"... I've seen the reverse over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
Buy once, cry once. Dillon 650.
Buy-once cry-once is an RL1100. Or maybe a Mark7 Evolution. Anything without on-press swaging is going to prove inadequate for bulk 223 loading (and by bulk, I mean 5k+).

Unfortunately, use cases 1-2 and 3-4 really require different presses. 3gun ammo (9mm and 223) doesn't have huge accuracy requirements, and 223 and 9mm are both small primer (so you don't need to swap primer systems). This makes something like a 750 or 1100 very appealing.

PRS ammo has far more substantial requirements in terms of powder charge and seating consistency, which is why everyone uses fancy powder dispensers for it (the CM Lite being the minimum). I would suggest that a progressive press is probably not going to work well for this.

You could, in theory, load your hunting ammo on a progressive, but the cost of the base plate and case feeder changes, combined with really annoying primer feed switchovers does not make a progressive a practical option.

The truth is, you could do pretty much everything you need to do with a Lee Classic Cast with the Inline Fab reverse ejector kit. You can crank out 223 and 9mm fairly quick with it, and caliber/primer system changes are MUCH less expensive than they would be on a 750 or LnL. I shoot ~7.5k-10k rounds of 9mm a year, so I outgrew mine to some extent, but I still use it for 223 and random other calibers.
Old October 12th, 2020, 08:43 AM #7

I think a progressive would be fine for requirements 1-3 and part of 4. Depends on what is required for PRS stuff. 1/2 MOA gun or 1/4 MOA? You could do all the brass prep on the progressive and the seat the bullet on an arbor press. If you want to get really fancy, you can get a 21st century hydro press or a KM forcemeter press and use LE wilson dies. For the PRS stuff, don't forget to brush your necks...cheap way to improve consistent neck tension.

In order to get super repeatable ES/SD(aka water line at distance), neck turning, annealing and a full length bushing die will likely become a necessary evil. The Hydro/force meter press is a nice to have but not a requirement. It lets you group your brass into lots of consistent seating pressures(neck tension) so that the string will be as consistent as possible.
Speed3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2020, 08:54 AM #8

thanks erwos et al! with any press, can you please help me understand what all is involved when i switch calibers? while i understand i will be switching "stuff" in and out (dies, etc), i really don't want to have to be re-measuring or re-setting anything (seating depth, neck tension, who know what else...) when switching over calibers. do the dies or anything else control that? do certain types (single, turret, progressive) or brands/models increase or decrease any re-measuring or re-setting between calibers?
Old October 12th, 2020, 08:56 AM #9

I've had a LNL for the last 10 years. Late winter this year, I decided to purchase an XL750. Both machines have their quirks. I will use the LNL for brass processing and the 750 for loading 9mm, 45, 38/357 and 5.56. For other rifle ammo, for precision, I still use my Rockchucker.
Todd S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2020, 09:00 AM #10

speed, erwos etc seem to be hinting that a progressive press doesn't have the exacting precision needed for PRS, is that right? is there some rule of thumb that if you want to get down below x MOA, to use a single stage? perhaps i'm just reading all this wrong... frankly i have enough factory match 6.5 and 224 valk for a couple of years of matches, so this is prob last on my list for reloading.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading