• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    How much shooting do you do? How proficient do you want your skill set to be? I keep enough to do this and maintain my security needs.
    To each there own with these responses.

I can say I used to go they 2k a month at least. Now I don’t with the same caliber I used to use.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Have enough to last a while but wish I would’ve grabbed a few thousand more 9mm and another 3-400 of .308 match ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much shooting do you do? How proficient do you want your skill set to be? I keep enough to do this and maintain my security needs.
    To each there own with these responses.

I can say I used to go they 2k a month at least. Now I don’t with the same caliber I used to use.

I cant speak for everyone, but im pretty certain "hoarding" ammo isnt about having enough for range days..i know it's not for me. Its more about 2 things

A decent supply if for some how the lefttards are able to seriously hinder or take away our ability to buy it

A SHTF scenario created by the first reason..

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A target of 1.000 rounds per caliber is a reasonable starting point however there are some variables to take into consideration. I think the .22 rim fire will be an important post SHTF caliber because it will be the primary game getter because most widely available game is small to medium size, in addition it makes less noise so attracts less attention, it is what you will be using to train new and occasional shooter the marksmanship skills they will need, and being the most widely owned firearm means it will be in demand and will serve as "currency" for trading goods and services. Therefore I think at least 5,000 rounds or one case makes more sense and would recommend buying two cases and when the first case runs out buy your next case so you always have between 5 and 10 thousand rounds on hand.

Another area you may want to increase stock is for whatever you will be using as a battle rifle and like wise anything you have multiple guns with the same chambers because you will likely be using these to arm family, friends and neighbors so your usage will likely be higher.

On the other hand your Big Bore gun for hunting Moose or Grizzley Bear you can probably stock less than a thousand because you will have fewer opportunities to use it because you don't want to shoot a Rabbit with a .416 Rigby, also you won't find a lot of people standing in line wanting to trade for it either.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    Can never have too much. Try for a minimum of 1000 rounds per but some have more.

133957027_10157933914672992_1958213549180513098_n.jpg

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    Its kind of like how many rounds/mags do you have on your person when you legally carry (open or concealed).
    As a minimum, unless you have your own militia at home, you need to have enough there to egress out of a defensive situation along with family/friends and some ammo that you can carry out too.
    Your imagination will create your stocking level.

A man protecting his home & family is not a "Militia" that word is way over used by liberals to paint a picture they want .

I do agree about its over use in a negative way as well. I was referring in a hypothetical/comical sense to "militia", implying that none of us actually has a trained and sizeable force at home.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    When you guys talk about numbers per caliber, what is your percentage breakdown between range and defensive ammo within those amounts?
    80/20

...but, nobody ever said “...sure, shoot me with ball, it doesn’t hurt as bad...”

MILSURP weapons/calibers were designed for ball Ammo. They run better with it unless they’ve had it tuned out of them.

YMMV

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I’ve got some more loading to do. I want to be at 5k+ for each 223/556 and 9mm. I keep ammo in mags ready to go for my defensive guns. I keep 6 mags for each AR at the ready and 3 for each Glock. That’s the majority of my good HD ammo and most of the others is just range ammo.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    With the current state of ammo availability do you feel comfortable with what you have or are you still hunting down more and at what point do you say "Im not paying that much "
    I've always kept a good amount on hand but since the last ammo shortage I've deepened my stock a good bit , But how much is enough

If you don’t have kids and have never been divorced, nothing less than a lifetime supply by the time you’re 55 in my book. Maybe 60 nowadays but, 65 at the absolute latest.

My late Father and I were standing in Lawyers Square in Annapolis protesting a gun grab by then Gov. Wm D Schaefer when he and I paused for a sidebar and he got solemn and told me, “While you’re single, and after putting money in your IRA / 401k, you should aim to buy a case of ammo every payday; or, at least one a month” ... that was in the late 80’s so ... :innocent0 :cool:

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    If SHTF truly did happen, and we were hunting small/medium game for food,, that would last 1-2 weeks. There is just WAY to many people per square mile in this country to ever "Live off the land"

A target of 1.000 rounds per caliber is a reasonable starting point however there are some variables to take into consideration. I think the .22 rim fire will be an important post SHTF caliber because it will be the primary game getter because most widely available game is small to medium size, in addition it makes less noise so attracts less attention, it is what you will be using to train new and occasional shooter the marksmanship skills they will need, and being the most widely owned firearm means it will be in demand and will serve as "currency" for trading goods and services. Therefore I think at least 5,000 rounds or one case makes more sense and would recommend buying two cases and when the first case runs out buy your next case so you always have between 5 and 10 thousand rounds on hand.

Another area you may want to increase stock is for whatever you will be using as a battle rifle and like wise anything you have multiple guns with the same chambers because you will likely be using these to arm family, friends and neighbors so your usage will likely be higher.

On the other hand your Big Bore gun for hunting Moose or Grizzley Bear you can probably stock less than a thousand because you will have fewer opportunities to use it because you don't want to shoot a Rabbit with a .416 Rigby, also you won't find a lot of people standing in line wanting to trade for it either.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have 1-2 cases per caliber as my emergency stash. All of that is the mil-spec stuff (M193, 7N6, M80, Yugo M67, etc.) or high-end civilian (CCI Mini-Mags, Fed FliteControl 8 pellet, JHP 45). It all sits in a pile of ammo cans that's labeled and never gets touched.

All of my normal shooting ammo comes from an entirely different stock of ammo... more and more of that is reloaded.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I cant speak for everyone, but im pretty certain "hoarding" ammo isnt about having enough for range days..i know it's not for me. Its more about 2 things

A decent supply if for some how the lefttards are able to seriously hinder or take away our ability to buy it

A SHTF scenario created by the first reason..

I didn’t say it was only about range days. It is about staying proficient with your ability and having enough for security purposes.
    There are a ton of scenarios that can cause concerns. Whatever they are make sure you have enough to suite your needs.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    No such thing as too much; as these times indicate with low supplies of everything from ammo to powder, to primers, to projectiles and to everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom