• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWM

Jul 4, 2013
    Howard Co
    OP, I get what you’re saying. I probably would have called first, but a few days seems excessive.

Punisher

Apr 21, 2018
    GROW UP!

No two days is not unreasonable with all the crap going on right now. You have NO IDEA what hit his inbound stock in the past couple of days and if there are other customers in the store he's got to deal with them too.

Ya you are right. He did show me the untouched 10 or so boxes that were left sitting in a corner. It must be to crazy to handle. Ermagerd

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Too late to do anything now but you should shop around and find a new FFL that will agree to process your transfers immediately for you. Get them to agrre up front and should be no surprizes or disappointment next time.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Am I understanding this, a firearm arrived at an FFL, but the FFL is too busy to enter it in the logs?

If this is correct, what would happen if the shop is burgled and that particular firearm is stolen? How is it proven that that particular firearm was one of them if there's no log entry?

Punisher

Apr 21, 2018
    Too late to do anything now but you should shop around and find a new FFL that will agree to process your transfers immediately for you. Get them to agrre up front and should be no surprizes or disappointment next time.

I went down the road to smaller shop. He welcomed it.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Am I understanding this, a firearm arrived at an FFL, but the FFL is too busy to enter it in the logs?

If this is correct, what would happen if the shop is burgled and that particular firearm is stolen? How is it proven that that particular firearm was one of them if there's no log entry?

What’s the time requirement (law) for a FFL to enter new stock into his logs? Just wondering.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I dont see myself as impatient but I am open minded to see the other side. I worked under an FFL, and its not much to "put in the books". I am guessing its to busy so I will help out.
    OK, I work a PT retirement job on the other side. No intent to blast you at all....but here goes:

We almost always do ours day of receipt or the next day at the very latest. Yeah, it only takes a few minutes to log a gun in....on top of helping others do 77Rs and the other routine things. My job is a retirement job because I am a lifelong gun nut and generally love dealing with other gun nuts....and I always do my best to provide good and timely service.
    I think most on this forum who know me would agree. But in addition to all the sales, yes, we have more transfers than usual..and phone calls....and questions. Yeah, sometimes we don't get them in the books until near or at the end of the day. And, I am not talking about just the transfers....I am also talking our own delivered inventory as well. Just Tuesday we had 6 long guns delivered plus 4 or 5 handguns that we ordered as well as 1/2 dozen transfers. That didn't include ammo or accessories that also came in or the consignment guns we received that had to be booked in and a receipt written to the consignor We had someone tied up for 2 or 3 actual hours just logging guns in. Why so long? They have to be unboxed. The FFL document in the transfer boxes has to be filed after being associated with the firearm we have to verify the serial numbers (if one is listed on an bill of sale or inventory list). Then each firearm is tagged and the box marked with our control number. Meanwhile the phone is ringing off the hook with all manner of questions and it is not unusual for 2 guys to be tied up...each with one of our 2 lines (we don't take our phone off the hook. If you fail to get through, it's usually because all our lines are busy or because everyone is so tied up we can't answer right away. That said, we do try to answer the phone anytime it rings. There are a few occasions phones are passed around so and one gets misplaced just long enough to miss a call.). Meanwhile, we are also sending out email copies of our FFL to the various places that don't have it.

I had 2 people very recently..customers by the way that I had never seen before, so they weren't regular customers...show up less than 1/2 hour after their firearm arrived just this week. It is irritating, but we just logged them in while they waited when their turn to be waited on came up (and while a line of customers waited) and started their paper work. The second of these fine gentlemen had ordered a handgun and didn't have his part of the 77R done. In fact, he had just received his HQL recently and had no idea about the process and never even created a 77R account much less do the actual application. I basically had other people waiting (yes we had 2 others out front plus the gunsmith kept coming out to help which puts his backlog further behind)...but the point is "I" couldn't wait on others until I finished with him. I spent a 1/2 hour plus on his MDSP application plus 4473. Yes, I did answer the phone call multiple times while he was filling out his 4473. But to speed things up, I created his account and kinda helped speed walk through the 77R questions. Well, at least this one had an email address and a smart phone to access it. Some don't. I have literally had to even create email addresses for some who don't have a smart phone and maybe not an email address either And don't get me started about those who transferred handguns and don't even have an HQL! One of them started arguing with me his firearm isn't a handgun. (Just happened a couple weeks back). Well, under Federal law he is right...a Mossberg Shockwave is an "Other". But under Maryland law, it is a handgun because the barrel is under 16". I spent at least 10 minutes showing him the Handgun Roster so he would be convinced Maryland treats it as a handgun and then explaining to him what all would need to be done to get his HQL and he acted PO'ed at me. This particular guy actually showed up within 10 to 15 minutes after the firearm arrived. I tried not to take it personally, but that can sometimes be difficult when we are so busy I can't even find time to eat lunch. I'll leave unmentioned the people who had handguns sent that were not on the roster or long guns that are illegal under Maryland law or, more often, those who order a banned firearm , convince the seller it is OK, just call Scott's to confirm...and the firearm ends up, indeed, banned...and it has to be explained to the customer why the firearm is banned. Had one of those happen on Weds.

Almost every night after close, we are there for 30 to 45 minutes logging out 4473 transfers and logging in a few guns that arrived in the afternoon. Almost always we have several repair tickets to log out as well. Frankly, it is courtesy just to check to make sure we are ready for you to receive your firearm and, by the way, we, at Scott's Gunsmithing, usually do call as soon as the firearm is logged in to let you know it has arrived and ready for pickup. We at least leave a message. We also try to inform anyone considering a transfer that we will call when their firearm has arrived and is logged in. One more thing: it is also a nice courtesy to call us to make sure we know your transfer is coming. That may well not be you, but I am considering this food for thought for all the readers. Some people don't and occasionally we have no contact info. I would agree it shouldn't take several days. ATF expects firearms in our possession to be logged within 24 hours.

Rant over. Lol. It may not sound like it, but I do like my job. If that were not so, I would not be there. I don't financially need it as I have a good retirement. But this Covid thing has made things extraordinarily busy and it had been almost non stop for a year. And, not all the busy even translates to more income for my buddy Scott who owns the business. Lotsa questions, explanations, etc. And people wanting things we don't have and often can't get. Usually during normal times, all the talk and banter can be some of the fun part of the job...educating others as to Law or offering opinions on firearms related issues. But lately there's such a time crunch it's been more difficult and, yes stressful.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

At my employer, we almost always stay after to finish logins. It is rare we postpone until the next day. But, another good reason to notify the shop your transfer is incoming. We keep a list that has where the firearm is coming from, the make and model and we try to get the order number. We also record the transferee and their contact info. But some people don't even give us a heads up. And, oh yeah...everything is locked up before we leave for the evening. No idea what the other FFL does.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I had a long gun recently transferred to an IP. I called later in the day when it arrived. I was told, if it's here, we don't know cause we have a stack of 40 plus boxes that just arrived, we will call you later today or sometime tomorrow. I said thanks. I got a call the next AM.
    Give them a break.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Ya you are right. He did show me the untouched 10 or so boxes that were left sitting in a corner. It must be to crazy to handle. Ermagerd

Apparently you missed the part about GROW UP! Life and business is not all about you and just you. Everything is hosed up right now due to COVID and people going insane to buy guns & ammo. Are you three years old that you can't show a little patience? You should probably change your name to Karen and get that special "I'd like to speak to the manager" haircut.

Punisher

Apr 21, 2018
    Apparently you missed the part about GROW UP! Life and business is not all about you and just you. Everything is hosed up right now due to COVID and people going insane to buy guns & ammo. Are you three years old that you can't show a little patience? You should probably change your name to Karen and get that special "I'd like to speak to the manager" haircut.

Hahahaha:lol2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This is MDS , with 50/50 irreconcilable split :

1. Hey , my LGS is recently and currently slammed . More sales ,more transfers , loads of walk in rookies with lots of questions , phone ringing off the hook . When my new Pew- pew gets delivered in a pile of other boxes , stuff has to get processed in either sequentially , or randomly by what is physically on top of the stack .

2. If LGS doesn't have my new pew- pew ready for me to take home 5 minutes are the tracking app says it's delivered , they Suck , they're idiots who have no concept of customer service , they are closet gun bann'ers , they hate me , I've never doing business with them again , and bad mouthing them to all my friends .

Sxs' post was long, but spot on. I also work PT at a gun shop.
    The most important thing for people to understand is the huge influx of newbies who are buying their first gun and require 10x the customer service time vs. seasoned gun buyers.
    We all remember the toilet paper and paper towel issue last spring; that is what gun stores are going through right now.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    What’s the time requirement (law) for a FFL to enter new stock into his logs? Just wondering.
    2 business days as I understand it.

Generally, for licensed dealers the purchase or other acquisition of a firearm shall be recorded not later than the close of the next business day after the date of the acquisition or purchase.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how...e-record-acquisition-and-disposition-firearms

To the OP, I'd find another FFL to deal with. Things are good for FFL's now - the demand on everything is high. As a result, they probably don't think they "need" your business. So take it elsewhere to an FFL who prioritizes things like taking care of a customer's inbound gun the day it gets to the shop.

That's what I'd do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom