• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This wouldn't happen if the libtards hadn't stolen the election.

Did I do that right? Been a few months since I've checked in...

LOL, you didn't miss a thing, you have been missed:party29:

52cvzj.jpg

They do need to enter your transfer in their log, they might not be able to do that right away, so it could be reasonable if the tell you to wait till they call that day, especially with the number of orders now. If you show up without a call, and they are willing to work with you in a reasonable hour or so to get it entered and handle whatever customers are ahead of you, that would be reasonable. Worst case, it should be entered before it is secured at the end of business for the day, and should be ready the next morning. Telling you to wait a few days is crap. My local FFL that does my transfers calls me every time 100% within an hour of it arriving, but most of his business is transfers(Winter firearms in Red lion). The larger FFL gun shops I use(Lanco, Shydas, Hakes and Trop) usually call within a couple hours, or at worst the end of the day and tell me to pickup in the AM. Have used them throughout the pandemic. They all have great customer service, all call within a day, and especially Phil and Brian at Lanco(Elizabethtown, PA) will do all they can to support their customers as quick as possible, and even go to great lengths to find stuff for people when nobody else can. Had a couple shops in the past that either wouldn't reliably call or waited days, and generally had nothing but excuses for bad customer service, I don't use them anymore.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    This is MDS , with 50/50 irreconcilable split :

1. Hey , my LGS is recently and currently slammed . More sales ,more transfers , loads of walk in rookies with lots of questions , phone ringing off the hook . When my new Pew- pew gets delivered in a pile of other boxes , stuff has to get processed in either sequentially , or randomly by what is physically on top of the stack .

2. If LGS doesn't have my new pew- pew ready for me to take home 5 minutes are the tracking app says it's delivered , they Suck , they're idiots who have no concept of customer service , they are closet gun bann'ers , they hate me , I've never doing business with them again , and bad mouthing them to all my friends .

hes right you know.jpg

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Ha! Had one other one happen last summer that doesn't fit those 2 things. Guy showed up and said his firearm was delivered an hour before. We did get a few boxes delivered earlier. We spent 10 minutes or longer looking....it wasn't there! The transfer actually showed up the next day.

If Fedsux delivers guns with the same honesty with which they deliver (and notify about) the other "signature required" crap I buy, I don't doubt it :sad20: (but that's a whole other thread ;) )

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    This is MDS , with 50/50 irreconcilable split :

1. Hey , my LGS is recently and currently slammed . More sales ,more transfers , loads of walk in rookies with lots of questions , phone ringing off the hook . When my new Pew- pew gets delivered in a pile of other boxes , stuff has to get processed in either sequentially , or randomly by what is physically on top of the stack .

2. If LGS doesn't have my new pew- pew ready for me to take home 5 minutes are the tracking app says it's delivered , they Suck , they're idiots who have no concept of customer service , they are closet gun bann'ers , they hate me , I've never doing business with them again , and bad mouthing them to all my friends .
    I think there's a balance that can be struck. I've always waited for the FFL to call me, but at the same time, 7 days after my gun hits the shop is IMO excessive. If they can't find a way to process and log in arrivals in a timely manner, regardless of how slammed they may be, there are organizational problems, and I'm not sure it's an FFL I'd want to continue to do business with.

Last edited:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    My FFL got my rifle one morning recently, and I got the FedEx email notification it was delivered that morning. The next day I had an appointment right down the street, so I poked my head in to see if it was ready, and they said no, we'll call you, which was fine. I kinda just figured as busy as they were, I was trying to get my crap out of their way as quickly as I could rather than let it sit there, taking up space. But, came back a few days later after they called me, no big deal, got it, and can't wait to take it to the range. It's their business, their schedule. I have had gun shops receive my gun, I get the email from the shipped, and they forget all about it and never call me. That's a different situation all together though.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    <-- FFL. Home-based not B&M so we can typically handle same day transfers but I understand many shops can't even touch the incoming guns dropped off daily by UPS/USPS/FedEx until after the store closes to customers and the owner/employees have time to catch up on paperwork.

Also bear in mind that most guns are packaged so they are pretty quick to log in/out, but you get the occasional long gun still in cosmoline, in a box loaded with packing peanuts, and tiny accessories just throw into the mix unsecured. You can spend a good 15-20 minutes just on that one making sure you don't inadvertently throw out an accessory and chasing wayward packing peanuts on the floor.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Sounds like Chik-Fil-A needs to get in the business of selling guns or at least training FFLs on how to be fast, efficient, and polite

Jagiov

Sep 2, 2020
    Bel Air
    My $.02: if any business wants to prioritize good customer service, it needs to be staffed accordingly. "In a few days" suggests to me that customer service is pretty low on the priority scale. Hire someone to come in a few hours each evening or early morning to handle paperwork.

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    I can see both sides of this. Me personally, I get this weird anxiety whenever I order anything, constantly checking the tracking even though I know something won't be delivered for a few more days. Unless there was some other benefit of going through a certain FFL that made the extra wait worth it, I'd probably shop around until I found one that met my needs. However I would rather wait an extra few days than pay 2x more for the transfer.

Jroc

Nov 26, 2019
    White Marsh
    I don’t think there is anything wrong with good customer service and if I don’t feel like I’m getting I just take my business elsewhere typically the business doesn’t care but neither do I. The arrogance that it’s on the customer is just a poor business model. All businesses see increases in volume if fortunate the the good ones handle it with grace. But honestly in my experience the attitude in the gun industry isn’t one focused on customer service especially when in my opinion transfers are secondary to them Nevermind they offer the service they feel like you should buy through them and pay the mark up ...to each his own. But I don’t think there is anything wrong with shipping around and getting the best price nor wanting proper customer service but again to each his own.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The irony is how many commentators obsess over the absolute cheapest Transfer Fee , and switching to someone accross town to save $5 .

For an establishment to minimize fee to customers , and more or less break even at it , has to likewise minimize their marginal costs for doing said Transfers .

So processing transfers would be a tertiary responsibility for existing staffing , after they serve the live humans physically in front of them , the live humans on the telephone , and processing items ordered by the establishment to be sold at customary retail margins .

But hey , semi- free market , and innovation often doesn't suck very much . There might be an unserved niche .

Some enterprising LGS should offer a Concierge Transfer Service . Kind of like distributors offering a Hand Select option on Milsurps .

For say an extra $20 , your firearm will be processed imeadately , and before any other merchandise in same delivery , and you recieve a phone call within 3 minutes of entry into book . Maybe even while you drive over , inspect , clean , and lubricate .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The irony is how many commentators obsess over the absolute cheapest Transfer Fee , and switching to someone accross town to save $5 .

For an establishment to minimize fee to customers , and more or less break even at it , has to likewise minimize their marginal costs for doing said Transfers .

So processing transfers would be a tertiary responsibility for existing staffing , after they serve the live humans physically in front of them , the live humans on the telephone , and processing items ordered by the establishment to be sold at customary retail margins .

But hey , semi- free market , and innovation often doesn't suck very much . There might be an unserved niche .

Some enterprising LGS should offer a Concierge Transfer Service . Kind of like distributors offering a Hand Select option on Milsurps .

For say an extra $20 , your firearm will be processed imeadately , and before any other merchandise in same delivery , and you recieve a phone call within 3 minutes of entry into book . Maybe even while you drive over , inspect , clean , and lubricate .

Yeap, Cheap/Fast/Good, pick 2.

No, it would be like concierge docs, you pay an annual fee of $1000, and get priority treatment for everything. You show up in the shop, you go to the head of the line. Your transfers or orders get handled immediately. You get first crack and arriving new stock, including ammo.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    I'll chime in here. Your excited that your order has arrived! Your dealer should be excited for you too! Whether a transfer or a purchase! Always! If your order/purchase arrives your getting called. When you arrive it's already entered in the bound book as that is How you do Business. Asking a customer to be put on hold so your lazy rumpkin can make him/her wait, is rude.

I'm more of the come and a get it, shes here waiting and ready to go! Let's face it, your question of normal operation procedure, you've already answered for yourself. No it's not standard to be lazy and enter the books, since that can be done even when your filling out for 4473. Hope you find someone who really understands customer service.

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    And before you ask, yeah someone crapped in my cornflakes today. Stimulus checks are out, people are buying every gun we have, complaining all day about a lack of ammo, gun paperwork takes more than a few minutes, and me and one other guy are busting our asses and a guy like you comes on here and complains that he can't get his transfer fast enough because the store is showing a lack of effort.

You know what? You're the guy who will be made to wait because he thinks he comes before the other customers.
    For someone who manages a shop you sure do have a way with words. is that how you treat all your customers? disdain, verbal insults? Or have you been conditioned to the pawn shop type clientele? isn't there a NC forum you can harass people on?

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    so typical of this forum. someone posts something asking for opinions and poof, a bunch of know-it-alls jump in with the insults. If you have nothing constructive to say, maybe it would be better to say nothing at all. Unless of course, you are working on your post count, to show everyone how many gazillion posts you have which undoubtedly makes you a senior member with clout and expert at firearms.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Wow. What a turn this thread has taken.

For my part, I'm a pretty patient person. After all, I went through the whole process of having a pistol added to the roster so that in mid November I could finally take home the pistol I ordered in early April. But I'll maintain what I said earlier about thinking that an FFL should take no more than two days to log a gun into their books from the time they received it. I'd even wait an extra day or so. But if I get pushed off much longer than that, or if the shop pushes back on me for any reason, that's another matter.

On a side note, any shop owner complaining about the current pace of business for the shop....I'm not sure what to say. To me this seems like a golden opportunity to expand a client base and to make a bunch more money. I'd be laughing all the way to the bank, even if it meant me burning up some long days to keep my nose above the water and to stay on top of everything.

But that's just my opinion. One that I gave specifically because I'm a know it all and I'm working on my post count. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom