• Hmiller613

Apr 8, 2021
    Especially if we can't carry firearm and ammo in same bag/case

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    Eye protection, ear protection, magazines, ammo, target stapler, target patches, range rules . . . I’m probably forgetting stuff and I’m too lazy to look. Yes, you need a range bag.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Especially if we can't carry firearm and ammo in same bag/case

?????????????

????????????

Whatcha carry all yer stuff in?

What kind of gun? What shooting discipline? What range?

I use big briefcase style tool bags, which I fill with ammo, targets, stapler, target pasters, shooting glove, carbide sight blacker, and lord knows what other junk.

Shooting mat, jacket, scope and scope stand are separate.
    Maybe bring a rifle if there's room. This is for Vintage High Power.

For pistols, it's a bit simpler. Maybe an extra bag with extra ammo. Pistols, holster, ammo all in main bag. For steel shooting, don't need targets or staplers or scopes, and I can fit a holstered pistol and a fair amount of ammo in a small camera case.

Who says you can't carry ammo and gun in the same case?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Don't carry loaded pistol mags/speed loaders in the same bag as the pistols unless you have a WC permit. I just don't load my mags til I get to the range.

I believe that's a FOPA requirement, if you're travelling state to state to ensure you're covered under FOPA, which protects your right to travel with a firearm.

Inside MD that rule isn't relevant. The handgun just needs to be unloaded and 'encased'.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    You CAN have loaded mags in your range bag. They just can't be inserted into the gun.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Transporting in cars you have to keep weapons and ammo separate. You can read that on the MSP website to see the exact words. But when you get to a range it was my understanding you can put it all back together into your range bag. But then you should still not have any ammo in a gun at that point. So then you want to know the range rules. If your guns and mags are empty I can't imagine any ranges that would have a complaint about that if everything was in that one range bag(if they are range that likes to handle your weapon and check for clear).

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    You CAN have loaded mags in your range bag. They just can't be inserted into the gun.

Yes and no. You can't drive with loaded mags in your car. You can have loaded mags in your bag at the range just unload them before you drive home.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Yes and no. You can't drive with loaded mags in your car. You can have loaded mags in your bag at the range just unload them before you drive home.
    Do you have a statutory reference for this assertion?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Do you have a statutory reference for this assertion?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No, and contrary to what I thought was correct. It is not illegal in MD to transport loaded magazines as long as hey are not in the firearm.

My bad...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I believe that's a FOPA requirement, if you're travelling state to state to ensure you're covered under FOPA, which protects your right to travel with a firearm.

Inside MD that rule isn't relevant. The handgun just needs to be unloaded and 'encased'.

Thanks for the straightening out. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom