• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They could say whatever they want but there is no law in MD that says you can’t so until that changes, it’s legal.

Agreed.

Just pointing out to keep informed. As it could change.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    cb.jpeg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    5.11 range bag. I’ve had line for about 9 years and have loaded it up with 5 pistols and hundreds of rounds of ammo and it’s still going strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I bought the Smith & Wesson version of essentially the same bag. I can't speak to the 5.11 bag - I've never seen one in person so I can't compare them, but I've been very very happy with mine. Mine is the M&P Officer's model, currently available for $75 on Amazon Prime, whereas the 5.11 bag is $100 minimum, no matter where you go.

Aside from "saving" a few bucks (it won't be saving if it doesn't hold up well - so far no issues whatsoever) I also liked the aesthetics of the S&W bag.

I was going to get the Midway USA Competition Range bag - essentially the same bag, and purportedly very well made - but I wanted black, and it wasn't available in black at the time. Right now that bag is running $50, which IMO is a very good deal for what it is.

The Midway USA AR15 tactical range bag is running $70 right now, and is very similar to the Competition Range bag, only it's specifically geared towards ARs with how the mag pouches and loops are configured.

If I had to buy one today, I'd probably pass on the S&W bag and get the Midway bag.

A word of advice - the 5.11/S&W/Midway bags are big, but IMO you'll appreciate the extra space. I almost got the Orca bag, but it's a fair bit smaller, and I'm glad I opted to go bigger for more room - it's better to have it and not need it if you're only going to have one bag, which is what I've got right now.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I bought the Smith & Wesson version of essentially the same bag. I can't speak to the 5.11 bag - I've never seen one in person so I can't compare them, but I've been very very happy with mine. Mine is the M&P Officer's model, currently available for $75 on Amazon Prime, whereas the 5.11 bag is $100 minimum, no matter where you go.

Aside from "saving" a few bucks (it won't be saving if it doesn't hold up well - so far no issues whatsoever) I also liked the aesthetics of the S&W bag.

I was going to get the Midway USA Competition Range bag - essentially the same bag, and purportedly very well made - but I wanted black, and it wasn't available in black at the time. Right now that bag is running $50, which IMO is a very good deal for what it is.

The Midway USA AR15 tactical range bag is running $70 right now, and is very similar to the Competition Range bag, only it's specifically geared towards ARs with how the mag pouches and loops are configured.

If I had to buy one today, I'd probably pass on the S&W bag and get the Midway bag.

A word of advice - the 5.11/S&W/Midway bags are big, but IMO you'll appreciate the extra space. I almost got the Orca bag, but it's a fair bit smaller, and I'm glad I opted to go bigger for more room - it's better to have it and not need it if you're only going to have one bag, which is what I've got right now.

I like the fact that the 5.11 bag is large, I can load it light or heavy and it has plenty of room for all of my stuff.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I like the fact that the 5.11 bag is large, I can load it light or heavy and it has plenty of room for all of my stuff.
    Yep - that's pretty much the same reason I got the one I got - most of the time I don't "need" that space, but I did a guys-only camping trip a month or so ago out on a piece of private property in WV where the whole point was to take our toys to play with, and I had that bag LOADED up! I had 7 pistols in it, plus cleaning supplies, first aid kit, magazines, tools, etc. Maybe some ammo too, although most of my ammo was in my old MTM Sportsman's box that I used as a range box before I got the bag.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I almost got the Orca bag, but it's a fair bit smaller, and I'm glad I opted to go bigger for more room

I have the Orca ... AND I have another brand-x bag to hold the stuff that won't gracefully fit in the Orca. So I tend to just put everything but the ammo in the Orca, and have the ammo bag as a separate animal. Not that it happens much with me since I'm permitted as I drive around MD, PA, VA and WV, it's not a bad habit to have things in a FOPA-friendly configuration in case of a detour through a corner of DE or such.

I've learned the If You Buy You Will Fill It lesson and now favor multiple rather than larger bags, no matter how well made. When I'm headed to a steel match, there are hundreds of rounds coming along, and it's worth breaking that up.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have the Orca ... AND I have another brand-x bag to hold the stuff that won't gracefully fit in the Orca. So I tend to just put everything but the ammo in the Orca, and have the ammo bag as a separate animal. Not that it happens much with me since I'm permitted as I drive around MD, PA, VA and WV, it's not a bad habit to have things in a FOPA-friendly configuration in case of a detour through a corner of DE or such.

I've learned the If You Buy You Will Fill It lesson and now favor multiple rather than larger bags, no matter how well made. When I'm headed to a steel match, there are hundreds of rounds coming along, and it's worth breaking that up.
    The last time my son and I went to the range, we took 3 or 4 pistols - don't remember at this point which - plus the ammo for each. That bag was pretty danged heavy and I only took a few hundred rounds, so I can see how having multiple bags for a day like a steel match would be the better choice.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I like the fact that the 5.11 bag is large....

That's what I hate about some range bags. The bigger they are the more stuff ends up in there and before I know it my bag weighs 100 pounds! And I have no idea what all I have in there

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Would you listen to the interpretations of the Attorney General of the State of Maryland?

The letter of interpretation that is attached to an earlier post is from the AG.

NOT the opinion of some Internet lawyer.

And BTW, several members here are also lawyers for real.

I am sure you realize as I do the AG is not an Internet "lawyer". Real lawyers are different, hence the quotes.

Not sure how loaded mags equate to transport location.

TD

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I just started using an old baseball gear bag. Damn thing holds an assembled AR no problem and plenty of room for other range necessities. And it's discreet if you're travelling.

I just keep ammo in cans but it will hold ammo too.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    I use a pair of satchels, made of nylon, but you should have a dedicated range bag, do not use the same bag for your guns as you use as a carry on bag on airplanes. The alarms, the handcuffs, and the bail hearings are all best skipped.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Whenever these conversations spring up , it is actually a matter of at least 4 different conversations simultaneously :

1. Actual Laws
    2. What relevant Major LE Agency says in public statements
    3 What random individual LE Ofc says
    4. What is Wise & Prudent course for knowledgeable gun owner

Yes , FOPA is significantly different from State Law . If FOPA is both applicable and relevant for you , absolutely follow the FOPA protocols , if you wish/ need to invoke them .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes , FOPA is significantly different from State Law . If FOPA is both applicable and relevant for you , absolutely follow the FOPA protocols , if you wish/ need to invoke them .

That is an important issue.

Many people try to apply FOPA to transport within a single state (it does not apply) or travel from one state to an adjacent state (it does not apply).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    These are nice.

Attachments

• download.jpg
      download.jpg
      37 KB · Views: 142
    • tote-DISARM-HATE-product_large.jpg
      tote-DISARM-HATE-product_large.jpg
      8.9 KB · Views: 131

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    These are nice.

I have trouble keeping up with the front lines of wokeness. Does that bag indicate that hate has been disarmed, they're no longer up in arms about it, or did someone troll them with a red marker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom