• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I HAD a 1985 Honda Civic 4WD wagon I had planned to use in case. Great gas mileage, push button 4WD, reliable, carbed so fewer electronics. All the electronics I had spares for though just in case. Wish I hadn't sold it.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

****I know someone that has one of the first model Jeeps he bought as surplus and it came in basically a crate box and required some assembly, etc.. I was surprised at how *small* it was once it was all put together and fired up after like 50 years in storage! Lots of stuff was dry rotted but it was a really cool vehicle.

I was amazed at how smart it was all packed up as well. Clearly a lot of thought was made in how things were laid out for long term storage. The Jeep was not fast nor powerful but it was so retro cool and had some really really simple engine design that just flat out worked but was very antiquated compared to modern direct port, or multi valve, multi-cam designs with computerized transmissions, etc..

I'll see if I can dig up some photos but I kind of always wondered if people were just smaller back in the 1940-and 50's as this Jeep seemed made for little people compared to my friends modern Rubicon or a range friends 4 door Jeep with a lift kit, etc..

Anyway, cool pic.

KarbinkleRich

Mar 2, 2021
    I'm kind of uneducated about vehicles and electronics in general but wouldn't motorcycles be one of the safest bets in that regard? Maybe you can get a new model motorcycle without worrying about those sorts of things. Of course the big con is you won't be able to carry around much in one.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I'm kind of uneducated about vehicles and electronics in general but wouldn't motorcycles be one of the safest bets in that regard? Maybe you can get a new model motorcycle without worrying about those sorts of things. Of course the big con is you won't be able to carry around much in one.

Nope. Anything about 15 years old or newer has a computer. There are exceptions on smaller bikes, but most are now fuel injected and have an ECM.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The only thing I have that still uses a points based ignition is a 1958 John Deere 630. Tops out at about 12mph and uses 5 gallons of gasoline every 45 mins it's being used but I bet that old girl would survive

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have seen videos, and articles testing the theory. If I can find them when I get home, I will tey to post. Studies that killed the car, causer minor damage, and did nothing at all. Depends on the proximity, and magnitude. I have spares of everything electronic for my old CRX, not necessarily in fear of an EMP strike, but I stocked up on spare parts because the car is old, and parts unobtanium. I have at least 3 spare ECUs, and a couple radios, along with sensors and stuff. The car is reasonably quick and economical, but limited in space.

Most cars have their electronics somewhat shielded due to electrical noise from the ignition system. I thinkngetting fuel would be the biggest issue after an EMP strike.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Cars parked in an underground garage should be pretty well shielded.

Just pick one that you like. The incinerated owners in the condo above won't mind

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    ****I know someone that has one of the first model Jeeps he bought as surplus and it came in basically a crate box and required some assembly, etc.. I was surprised at how *small* it was once it was all put together and fired up after like 50 years in storage! Lots of stuff was dry rotted but it was a really cool vehicle.

I was amazed at how smart it was all packed up as well. Clearly a lot of thought was made in how things were laid out for long term storage. The Jeep was not fast nor powerful but it was so retro cool and had some really really simple engine design that just flat out worked but was very antiquated compared to modern direct port, or multi valve, multi-cam designs with computerized transmissions, etc..

I'll see if I can dig up some photos but I kind of always wondered if people were just smaller back in the 1940-and 50's as this Jeep seemed made for little people compared to my friends modern Rubicon or a range friends 4 door Jeep with a lift kit, etc..

Anyway, cool pic.

Those crate Jeeps are like Bigfoot. Many have friends who have seen them….

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Cars parked in an underground garage should be pretty well shielded.

Just pick one that you like. The incinerated owners in the condo above won't mind

Or you could just turn a home garage to a faraday cage pretty simple to do but looks ugly.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    This thread got me to thinking our 80s era backhoe has a mechanical injection pump on it's diesel engine. If I knew it was coming I could bury all the newer stuff 14ft down and dig it all back up when it's over . Doubt we would get much warning for such an event though

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    His. :D

Hers. :cool:

Attachments

• D50FF972-F7DD-458D-9708-CD62D4993244.jpg
      D50FF972-F7DD-458D-9708-CD62D4993244.jpg
      41 KB · Views: 165
    • 58E2CEA2-0303-48BD-9EC4-4668CCFC2495.jpeg
      58E2CEA2-0303-48BD-9EC4-4668CCFC2495.jpeg
      99.1 KB · Views: 169

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I have seen videos, and articles testing the theory. If I can find them when I get home, I will tey to post. Studies that killed the car, causer minor damage, and did nothing at all. Depends on the proximity, and magnitude. I have spares of everything electronic for my old CRX, not necessarily in fear of an EMP strike, but I stocked up on spare parts because the car is old, and parts unobtanium. I have at least 3 spare ECUs, and a couple radios, along with sensors and stuff. The car is reasonably quick and economical, but limited in space.

Most cars have their electronics somewhat shielded due to electrical noise from the ignition system. I thinkngetting fuel would be the biggest issue after an EMP strike.

That is what wood gasifiers are for:
    https://www.amazon.com/Wood-Gasifie...91b76&pd_rd_wg=ko8sp&pd_rd_i=B086PRJNHG&psc=1

Wood gas vehicles: firewood in the fuel tank

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/wood-gas-cars.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom