• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    We have a running thread in the staff forum where we share some of the, ahem, "interesting" emails that we receive.

Here was a positive one worth sharing, and I thought I'd put up a running thread here where we might post things from time to time.

It's nice to hear that the grass isn't always greener on the other side:

I’m still sort of a newbee, joined Maryland Shooters in Oct 2012 when I was first told about the web site.

I have got so much out of it, the organized shoots, members I have met and learned from reading posts and asking questions Maryland Shooters is a bit of an extended family.

I‘m leaving Maryland in the next few months to retire in Florida. I intend to still login to site but I was looking for a Website that was located in the same state or area I would be living.

I found www.Floridashootersnetwork.com and after spend a couple days looking around reading the posts I was floored, I moving from a very freedom repressive state to a state where the Firearm laws are less restricted and you would think the people would be more supportive of each other.

This couldn’t be further from that, this web site has been around for longer the MDS but it has less active members, very poor postings, outdated info and in general lacking in about every area I was looked. There little support to the local firearms business or range.

I was thinking that for a state where a large number of the population of the people are retired there would be a more active firearm community there not.

I notice they let members publicly call out other members when sales or buys don’t go right, just wrong in so many ways it cause a lot of hostile feeling and ill will.

The Maryland shooters is night and day the best group of people even with the few that can’t play well with others, for the most part you can find more help on just about anything you need.

It goes to say the grass is not always greener on the other side unless it because there a lot more BS on that grass you have to walk over.

Thank to You DD214 for starting this jewel, TexKev for over and keeping the lights on and Norton, Zoostation, 2Sam22 and Joppaj for keeping inmates inline gentleman it has been a pleasure.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    This is a definitely a special community. So many people are willing to pass on knowledge and offer insight. That alone makes it unusual, but the sense of brotherhood I've seen is what really sets it apart. I'm very grateful MDS exists and that the mods/tech managers/owners/whoever put in so much effort to keep it going. The world would be worse off without it.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Maybe since Florida is a less restrictive state all the real gun people are out shooting and have no time for the internet or since MD is so restrictive we like a good fight...

Or (most likely) we know our sh!t and like to share :D

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It's good to get some positive reinforcement and it's well deserved.

I think few people realized the time it takes to moderate a forum or the variety of problems that can come out of left field from all sorts of sources.

Thanks.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Maybe since Florida is a less restrictive state all the real gun people are out shooting and have no time for the internet or since MD is so restrictive we like a good fight...

Or (most likely) we know our sh!t and like to share :D

More than likely the Florida forum may be the equivalent of the "Oriental" gambling house in "Tombstone" before Kurt Russell kicked out Billy Bob Thorton.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I've been lurking on this forum for years for reasons I discussed in my intro thread. I'm not interested in bashing other forums that may be more well known or larger, but I will say that this is the only firearms forum I have registered on so far. The community here is supportive, polite, and engaged. I really appreciate that. Thank you forum leaders, mods, admins, and other members for making this a nice place to "hang out."

Jagzilla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2013
    "Mission creates community" is an axiom that applies to almost any gathering of people. Try to create community from diverse needs with no overall goal and you get what he's experiencing in FL. We know what we're up against here in Maryland and that fight unifies us. I've met some great people here. Kudos to the moderators.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    why do you think I hung around after moving to NC. there just isn't a better firearm related forum out there when it comes to a lack of drama and real solid information.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I would like to put a shout out to all of the mods and admins on the board. You do a heroic job of keeping this remarkable resource up and running, and have helped our community to gel together as a family (kooky and somewhat dysfunctional, but all families are).

Thank you. Sincerely. You guys rock.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I find the same darn thing this now lucky FL resident has stated. In hopes he/she is reading this thread, best wishes to you and enjoy your retirement, stay onboard.
    When I joined, 13'er here, I was new to forums in general and got some almost harsh "forum training" from a couple ... not to mention any names, Chad , but now trust those very people for info on heck things that may one day save my life and definitely things that improve my quality of life (recreation) and feel I can contact them at any time for more info quite freely. I have met members unknowingly, from the bottom of NC to the middle of PA by just mentioning MDS.
    Whoops, called out some members, but with appreciation as the intent!

So, moving on, from Nortons post:
    "Thank to You DD214 for starting this jewel, TexKev for over and keeping the lights on and Norton, Zoostation, 2Sam22 and Joppaj for keeping inmates inline gentleman it has been a pleasure."
    I could not have said this any better.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Nice post.

As a rather new MDS member who doesn't really have any other online experiences with shooting forums I'll just say that I have gained quite a bit of insight, knowledge and a healthy dose of skepticism from the members here. I am surprised how willing the community is to help the less experienced members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    "Mission creates community" is an axiom that applies to almost any gathering of people. Try to create community from diverse needs with no overall goal and you get what he's experiencing in FL. We know what we're up against here in Maryland and that fight unifies us. I've met some great people here. Kudos to the moderators.

Great pressure makes beautiful diamonds, but you have to begin with the right raw materials

I would like to put a shout out to all of the mods and admins on the board. You do a heroic job of keeping this remarkable resource up and running, and have helped our community to gel together as a family (kooky and somewhat dysfunctional, but all families are).

Thank you. Sincerely. You guys rock.

Nice post.

As a rather new MDS member who doesn't really have any other online experiences with shooting forums I'll just say that I have gained quite a bit of insight, knowledge and a healthy dose of skepticism from the members here. I am surprised how willing the community is to help the less experienced members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What they said... my sentiments exactly. I'm grateful for all the firearm and other information I can glean from being here. :thumbsup:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

Bingo. Not any great sites for TX either.

Plenty to talk about on MDS when you're planning patriot pickets, fighting over calibers and waiting a week to pick up a pistol. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom