• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    I've considered before the idea of moving across the border to PA. Because of where I work (Woodlawn, MD), I was thinking somewhere up the 83 corridor, Shrewsbury/New Freedom area, would be a good choice for me. I can still shoot down 83 to the city and get to work in a reasonable amount of time.

It's kind of small-town up there. I've been through there before on my motorcycle so I kind of know what to expect. I'd be likely looking for a detached house with a garage...they usually have "suburban-ish" communities built off of the main-street areas of town.

I've seen that you can get a lot more house for your money in that area than you can closer to a major city like Baltimore. I know the "school tax" offsets some of that, but I think I can manage that well enough.

My biggest concern, by far, is boredom. I'm 31 and single, so I'm worried that being this far north may put me too far from "civilization". Places that I'm used to going in MD, friends, family, are another half-hour away at least. I don't "go out" a whole lot so as long as I have an X-box and high-speed Internet I'll likely be fine with it.

What I was considering doing is maybe selling my house in White Marsh and renting a townhouse in the area for a year...see if I can stand it and, if not, then move back.

What do you guys think? What're the "gotchas" to living in small-town PA that I should be aware of?

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    York isn't far away really, but I think you would adjust to small(er) town life easily enough. You just have to be willing to accept the changes that come with moving into a differently cultured area.

I have friends and coworkers that moved over the border and they like it just fine.

If you work in Woodlawn, I'd say the commute might be a big bag of suck everyday.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    I've considered before the idea of moving across the border to PA. Because of where I work (Woodlawn, MD), I was thinking somewhere up the 83 corridor, Shrewsbury/New Freedom area, would be a good choice for me. I can still shoot down 83 to the city and get to work in a reasonable amount of time.

It's kind of small-town up there. I've been through there before on my motorcycle so I kind of know what to expect. I'd be likely looking for a detached house with a garage...they usually have "suburban-ish" communities built off of the main-street areas of town.

I've seen that you can get a lot more house for your money in that area than you can closer to a major city like Baltimore. I know the "school tax" offsets some of that, but I think I can manage that well enough.

My biggest concern, by far, is boredom. I'm 31 and single, so I'm worried that being this far north may put me too far from "civilization". Places that I'm used to going in MD, friends, family, are another half-hour away at least. I don't "go out" a whole lot so as long as I have an X-box and high-speed Internet I'll likely be fine with it.

What I was considering doing is maybe selling my house in White Marsh and renting a townhouse in the area for a year...see if I can stand it and, if not, then move back.

What do you guys think? What're the "gotchas" to living in small-town PA that I should be aware of?

I never lived in PA....

Check out property/school tax where you want to live. In PA there is no such thing as living "in the county"...each area is a burough, town, or township...meaning just over there can cost more or less.

Income tax is a flat 3% but if you work in MD you will only save the "piggy back tax" that we pay to the county.

Your car is inspected each year...which is a big deal! (full inspection as if you were first buying it...here in MD.)

Gas) If gas gets to be $4 a gallon, will that affect your budget? (less money for ammo)

Sell your house first before making a move. (think...trade 2 $500 cats for a $1000 dog)

Lancaster is a nice area...is it possible to get a job in York or Lancaster?

If'n one day...one head...over-rides the other... and you get married??? where will she want to live? Try to find a nurse...good money...no layoffs. :party29:

Buddy

Aug 2, 2010
    PA
    I have lived in PA for 5 years. The car inspection is not that big of a deal. The big thing I hate about pa is the townships with all their laws and rules. They are not voted in. When someone leaves they apoint a new person. But I can live with it because the gun laws are great.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As far as Md vs PA per se it's a positive step for Marylanders. I would imagine PA'er will eventually tire of Md refuges taking over their neighborhood. Don't know B'more area well enough to comment on commute.

Urban vs Small Town is personal taste. Plenty of Small Town oriented people avoid cities on purpose too.

As to being farther from your buds, well you are reaching the point in life where they will soon be settling into their own family life, and/ or relocation in the next few years. So place greater emphasis on where You want to live on purpose.

Flash

Jan 1, 2008
    Adams County Pa.
    Real Estate is more expensive towards the 83 corridor than in Adams county.
    Pa route 94 runs right down through Hampstead and Manchester from the Adams/york boundry and connects with 795 which is a straight shot to 695 and on to Woodlawn. I have a sister who lives in Shrewsbury and with the same square footage, she paid $80,000 more than I did.:thumbsup:

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    I lived in PA for 10 years. Literally on the PA/MD line. It was across the street from my house. On a good day, 20 minutes to Shawon(?) Road. Not today I think.
    PA taxes will kill you. They are set by the Local School District, and when they want more, well, suck it up, cause you gonna pay. Tough when ya don't have Kiddies. Shrewsbury/New freedom are bedroom communities, so for "Night Life" you have to go elsewhere. They have a large group of Maryland people who moved there when things were cheap, and are still there, most anyways. Lots have moved back to MD.
    With housing as it is, I would rent the house, through an agent, and venture up there for a look see. If it works, sell the house then, if not, alert the agent you be comin back.
    Nice range in New Freedom, and positive gun regs. But then, what percentage of your total life style is tied to firearms??

Think carefully before you jump,

R

Last edited:

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    If you work in Woodlawn, I'd say the commute might be a big bag of suck everyday.

york to woodlawn everyday in balto traffic - no thanks

You should stay in a hotel in York for a few nights during the week and make the commute to see if you could stand it before you move

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The upside of the yearly car inspections is that insurance rates tend to be orders of magnitude cheaper since there are fewer POS cars causing accidents due to equipment failure.

I pay 475 dollars every 6 months as a PA resident, the best quote I got from USAA was 680 every 6 months in Maryland. Most Maryland rates were in the 800's.

wynnstudio

"Member"
    Feb 15, 2011
    Parkville, MD
    I did Westminster to Downtown Baltimore for 6 months and moved closer to work. I went from an hour to 15 to 20 minutes depending on traffic. The pluses would really have to be big to make me sit in a car an extra 6 hours a week.

wynnstudio

ThePirate

May 26, 2010
    Ringgold area
    Don't about the restrictions but if you got a small place in the country you may be able to set yourself up a small personal range. That could be a big plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom