• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tenhoff

Sep 14, 2012
    I am leaving for college soon and was wondering, since I have to buy an apartment would I count as a resident? If so, does Pa allow handgun transfers between family under 21 if the transferer is in MD and the "buyer" is in PA? Thanks

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    I am leaving for college soon and was wondering, since I have to buy an apartment would I count as a resident? If so, does Pa allow handgun transfers between family under 21 if the transferer is in MD and the "buyer" is in PA? Thanks

You're going to need a state photo ID showing residence, so if you plan on obtaining a PA Driver's License and actually have a residence in PA (like this apartment) then you'll be a resident of PA.

Transfers between residents of different states fall under federal laws. The handgun would have to be transferred to the recipient in his/her state of residence. You would want to look into Maryland's laws to determine whether said transfer is legal.

In PA a person 18-21 may legally own a handgun, but they cannot buy one at a FFL, the transfer would have to be performed by local Sheriff.

Does that answer the questions?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The issue is that the Gun Control Act of 1968, a Federal law, sets the minimum age that a FFL can sell a handgun. That age is 21. Since we are talking about interstate transfers, this is Federal law.

Q: Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee?

Yes. Under the GCA, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

What does the law say about transfers??

Now the question to ask is, does PA allow a FTF transfer for handguns? Second, what is the minimum age to buy a handgun, second hand, in PA?

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    The issue is that the Gun Control Act of 1968, a Federal law, sets the minimum age that a FFL can sell a handgun. That age is 21. Since we are talking about interstate transfers, this is Federal law.

What does the law say about transfers??

Now the question to ask is, does PA allow a FTF transfer for handguns? Second, what is the minimum age to buy a handgun, second hand, in PA?

Correct, an FFL cannot do the transfer, but the Sheriff can. Good luck finding one that will.

FTF only allowed between certain family members: between grandparent and grandchild, between parent and child, and between spouses, provided that both transferer and transferee are both residents of Pennsylvania.

In PA the minimum age to own a handgun is 18. Again, 18-20 can purchase a handgun, but it still must be transferred and only the Sheriff can conduct the transfer. The exception to this is the transfer between specific family members.

So an 18-20 year-old can own, and even open carry on foot so long as the statutory requirements are met.

Tenhoff

Sep 14, 2012
    Would just a simple state ID count as long as I am living in PA? Or would I need a drivers license?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    You can purchase with a state photo ID. Just keep in mind that you will surrender your MD ID when you do. MD and PA will not allow you to keep both.

Also, when you become a resident in another state, do you have to change car registration? Car insurance? Does the car have to get inspected in the new state? Pay sales tax on car in new state? Does it affect anything else? income taxes? Health insurance coverage?

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Also, when you become a resident in another state, do you have to change car registration? Car insurance? Does the car have to get inspected in the new state? Pay sales tax on car in new state? Does it affect anything else? income taxes? Health insurance coverage?

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Vehicle-Services/REG/NewtoMd.htm

As a new resident of Maryland you must register your vehicle within 60 days of moving to Maryland. If you delay beyond 60 days, you will not be eligible for a tax credit for any titling tax paid in another state, and you may be subject to a citation for an out of state registration.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Vehicle-Services/REG/NewtoMd.htm

As a new resident of Maryland you must register your vehicle within 60 days of moving to Maryland. If you delay beyond 60 days, you will not be eligible for a tax credit for any titling tax paid in another state, and you may be subject to a citation for an out of state registration.

As to mikec's questions, I'm beginning to suspect he may already know the answers to these questions. To be sure, changing one's state of residence really should be considered an adult undertaking and not to be taken lightly. Sort of like gun ownership.

And suddenly I'm beginning to wonder whether the OP will be rejoining the conversation.
    Yes, if you own a car, you change registration. I changed insurance but I don't know whether that is required or not. PA does yearly inspections so that will have to be done also. (the fees for both safety and emissions are around $60. In my experience these inspections are not as "rigorous" as MD inspections. They know they'll see you again in 12 months. YMMV). In the event the vehicle is owned by MD residents and merely garaged in PA the OP will need to look into that himself.

In 2005 I did not pay state tax based on the value of the vehicle. Obviously state income tax will now be based on the new state. Much like Maryland, local taxes vary depending on the municipality. State withholding is very low by comparison, local taxes can be higher. By example, my state/local/property taxes here are about 2% lower that what I paid in Baltimore County. Lastly, my health insurance remained unchanged, but I am covered through my employment which has not changed. I obtained a new primary care provider. I no longer wished to travel to Perry Hall to see my doctor, although she was excellent.

We have an excellent health system here in PA. Why shucks, in some areas we even gots 'lectricity. :D

OP, feel free to chime in, let us know a little more about your situation, and perhaps better and more specific responses can be provided. ;)

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    My questions were there so the OP could realize that there is more needed than just changing a drivers license. As Curmudgeon said, not something to be taken lightly.

When I was 20 I was able to legally own a handgun, after jumping through NY's hoops. I lived with my parents and did not have to worry about drunk or stoned housemates getting at my guns. To the OP, enjoy college life and then buy a handgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom