MD resident with handgun in MD using at range in PA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    I understand what your saying, but I cannot find anything that would prohibit a person from transporting legally in MD and after crossing into PA open carrying. Open carry in PA does not require you to be actively going to a range or hunting, etc.

Because it's written in "pennsylvanian", I'll mail you a decoder ring I found at a flea market in Lancaster County. Don't feel bad, we need it too. :D

It probably doesn't help that PA law is silent on open carry, so you may be looking for something specific that isn't there. I'm guessing you possess at least one of the permits shown in your sig? If so you can do exactly what you propose. For that matter your Utah permit also allows you to conceal as well, and you probably already knew that.

The issue is this: without a license/permit from any state your open-carry is restricted to 'on foot' unless you are transporting by vehicle only to the short-list of excepted destinations, range, etc.

In short, the problem isn't open-carry, the problem is permitless transporting by vehicle. Unless you drive to the PA line, park your car and get out and walk. Without my LTCF I face the same restrictions. As a PA resident I can only open carry anywhere I can walk from my house. I cannot drive to Walmart and then open carry because Walmart isn't an exception.

Again, any person with a license/permit from any state does not face this transport restriction, and a license/permit from a reciprocal state is only required for conceal carry, or OC/CC in Philly, or during at declared state of emergency.

Does my answer suggest that I have correctly understood your question?

Beemer

Sep 12, 2012
    I just got my Florida non-res carry permit and it says that PA recognizes it, along with 34 other states. Of course MD doesnt. LOL So, Im assuming Ill be okay in PA?

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    I understand what your saying, but I cannot find anything that would prohibit a person from transporting legally in MD and after crossing into PA open carrying. Open carry in PA does not require you to be actively going to a range or hunting, etc.

I just got my Florida non-res carry permit and it says that PA recognizes it, along with 34 other states. Of course MD doesnt. LOL So, Im assuming Ill be okay in PA?

*sigh* Thanks to our brand new anti-gun AG, no. She has just decreed that PA will only honor a FL permit for FL residents.

PA statutes plainly say that you can transport by vehicle your loaded handgun, carried OC, CC, or stuffed any place you like with your FL permit, but you cannot CC on foot, or carry at all in Philly.

We're happy to have you OCing! In the meantime there are quite a few PA legislators upset with the AG, seems they don't think she has the authority to blow-off Florida non-res permit holders, but her shit stands for now.

*EDITED TO ADD: Your FL permit is OK for today but will not be honored as of 06/08/2013.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Yeah,I was clear about the open carry laws concerning on foot and transport.

I do see that your new PA AG is basically trying to change PA's stance on reciprocity with other states. She has already made it impossible for a MD resident to get a PA permit. Seeing this leads me to believe that it will not be long until all non-res permits will not be honored in PA. Who would have ever thought that PA would turn gun un-friendly???

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

Doesn't matter what FLA says, especially if you read it in a printed document. Anything printed can become obsolete with the stroke of a pen in Harrisburg. I have a Utah CCW and everytime I go to PA, just before I leave, I check the PA state websites to make sure that they still recognize Utah. Just because they recognize something today does not mean they will still recognize it tomorrow. Those printed guide are obsolete even before they get printed.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    They will still accept a non-res Utah and a couple others, but it seems that PA is on the way to becoming more restrictive about this. They did not always require a permit from your home state to issue a non-res permit. Not sure when that started.

I do see that your new PA AG is basically trying to change PA's stance on reciprocity with other states. She has already made it impossible for a MD resident to get a PA permit.

This is not new, and is unrelated to the new Bloomberg-funded AG.

I remember that by the summer of 2009, it was pretty much impossible for a Marylander to get an LTCF without a Maryland permit. I think some Marylanders were able to get them from the York Co. sheriff in 2008.

As for the policy being aimed at Maryland, remember a lot of New Jerseyites gaze wistfully westward. Many New Yorkers can't get carry permits, and Ohio has not been shall issue all that long.

If Woollard actually comes through for us, I plan to high-tail it to York and get an LTCF quick before they slam the door again in Maryland.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Yeah,I was clear about the open carry laws concerning on foot and transport.

Just making sure. Besides, you never know who might be reading through, glean a small tidbit out of context, and misunderstand something. I find it's best to regard all firearms laws as a trap and PA is no safe harbor.

I do see that your new PA AG is basically trying to change PA's stance on reciprocity with other states. She has already made it impossible for a MD resident to get a PA permit. Seeing this leads me to believe that it will not be long until all non-res permits will not be honored in PA. Who would have ever thought that PA would turn gun un-friendly???
    FWIW, AG Kane is not the one who made it impossible for Marylanders to get a PA LTCF, I don't know who did, I've only been here since 2005.

And just like MD has it's Balto/PG/Mont counties to deal with, we have Philly/Harrisburg/Pittsburgh/Reading, etc. It isn't pretty. But my gut feeling is that momentum is swinging our way and we just have to make the most of it. Just look at the buying and licensing frenzys that have occurred since 2008. This is no small group of potential voters

A couple "fun facts" relating to PA...

-I have heard it said that PA has the highest concentration of NRA members in the country (don't know if true, wouldn't be surprised)
    -I have heard it said that on the first day of deer season PA has the 8th largest army in the world (this just makes me giggle)
    -The FBI says there are 8 million carry permit holders in the USA, and the PSP says there are 800,000 permit holders in PA. This means that of all the licensed carriers in the country fully 10% are in PA alone. (these stats are true)
    :D

Let's keep it going, in the interest of freedom.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    This is not new, and is unrelated to the new Bloomberg-funded AG.

I remember that by the summer of 2009, it was pretty much impossible for a Marylander to get an LTCF without a Maryland permit. I think some Marylanders were able to get them from the York Co. sheriff in 2008.

As for the policy being aimed at Maryland, remember a lot of New Jerseyites gaze wistfully westward. Many New Yorkers can't get carry permits, and Ohio has not been shall issue all that long.

If Woollard actually comes through for us, I plan to high-tail it to York and get an LTCF quick before they slam the door again in Maryland.

LOL... I'll leave the light on for you!

In the meantime, feel free to get a permit that PA still honors and pay us a visit. We are always happy to support a OC/CC get together and welcome our southern freedom-loving neighbors Just ask "foxtrapper" or whatever she calls herself on MDS (she is "XD40 Coyote" up here), as well as Charles Guggenheimer, to name just 2.

gavin1911

Mar 17, 2013
    There is no problem at all shooting in PA ranges - the only thing you need to pay attention is to legally transport your stuff from MD to PA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom