• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I'm going to be going up to Knoebels Amusement Park.

Any good fun shops around Harrisburg to Bloomsburg, PA?

Since I might be reading responses on my phone, you get $.02 if you have the time and inclination to provide a URL or address. Fine if not.

Also, I've been to Rickett's Glen before (with all the waterfalls) and an animal park near Harrisburg. Other kiddie ideas?

Thanks

JosephIV

Go to the craphole of Ashland, PA. It's not far from Knoebels (where I worked as a teen). You can get off of 81 South at the Minersville Exit 116. Go up the ramp and take the left lane split. Turn left and continue downhill then eventually uphill through Lavelle. You'll pass a Shell gas station on the right and Turkey Hill station on the left. Continue going straight (uphill) until you come to a red light at the bottom of a hill. You'll be staring at Mount Carmel. Turn right and travel 3 miles or so into Ashland. Look for signs for the Pioneer Coal Tunnel. You get to ride a steam Locomotive on a short ride and ride an electric miner's car into the mine tunnel. They turn the lights off when you're staning in the mine and I can gauruntee you've never seen blackness like that. There's a park near the mine with a wooden train, swings, etc for the kids to play on.

When you leave there you can get on 61 North and head through Centralia, the place where an underground mine fire still burns. You can park and walk a bit if you're inclined. Not exciting, but cool for some as Centralia was the name for the Silent Hill movie when it was in Pre-production. Get back on 61 and it will take you through Aristes through the hills to Numidia where you can take a back road (left turn) to get to Knoebels. Take the road maybe 2 miles and there's split on the downhill part. Go right onto a small two lane. It will take you straight to Knoebels parking field. There used to be a covered bridge visible which was cool to drive over. Don't know if it's still there. Numidia has Numidia dragstrip. They do big boy Funny Cars, nostalgia drags, and even have a mud pit event coming up. Google Numidia dragway or such.

If you leave Knoebel's going through the park's road (not back where you came) you can turn right onto 487 North/East and go to Catawissa, PA. You can also get there by going back and through Numidia. You'll also see signs for Apple orchards on either route. Should be Krumm's and Rohrbach's. They do hay rides, corn mazes, and pick your own pumpkin type stuff. There's an M60 tank in Catawissa that kids can climb on and a Monster Truck at a car lot across the bridge spanning over the Susquehanna. Continue past the car lot into Bloomsburg and there is a little "Bloomsburg Children's Museum" that is fairly interactive. You'll have to google it, I can't remember where it's at.

I'd skip Bass Pro in Harrisburg and go to Cabela's in Hamburg, PA. Better store IMO. Don't pay for parking, it's free. Some ghetto retreads pulled that stunt when the store opened. Whole bunch of foolish white people giving money to hustlers from Reading. When you're done looking at the big game mounts, the fish in the huge tank, the ATV's for sale, and all of the other crap you can travel to the Deutsch Eck restaurant in Lenhartsville or the Virginville Hotel in in Virginville for top notch dutch food. Home made pies and such. Yum!!!!!!

The Bloomsburg fair is in September. It's pretty cool with lots of games, rides, outdoor stuff, midway "freak show" type stuff and plenty of fried everything. It's worth a trip. Bring a stroller or pull behind as the kids won't last the day and you'll never walk the whole grounds. Hotels book fast and rates are spendy.

Last edited:

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Centralia is wickedly creepy. I walked down the road that was closed off way back when (I forget the route #). Got about a mile and said F- this. When you see cracks in asphalt big enough for a truck to fall through and your shoe soles are melting to the ground. Its time to go. I would love to go back though. Stand quietly and look around its like you can imagine a happening town that no longer exists. Sad.

Not sure when orangeville has their festival but that was fun, not far from Knoebels. It was around this time of year too.

There is a deer farm that takes you on tours though their fields where a family raises deer, caribou, elk. Let's you feed them and the fresh meat is orgasmic.

Coal mine train is fun. So another vote for that.

Sure there is more I'm forgetting. I'll try and get more info for you on the above. I'm having a hard time remembering it all. Its been a while since I was up there last.

JosephIV

Centralia is wickedly creepy. I walked down the road that was closed off way back when (I forget the route #). Got about a mile and said F- this. When you see cracks in asphalt big enough for a truck to fall through and your shoe soles are melting to the ground. Its time to go. I would love to go back though. Stand quietly and look around its like you can imagine a happening town that no longer exists. Sad.

Centralia isn't that bad these days. The fire has moved along and you rarely see smoke from the ground or smell that wonderful sulphur smell. I was there two weekends ago. It is a shame though. It was a wonderful little community with a little league team, great Catholic school with nice nuns, penny candy sold at the gas stations, and a great spirit during the holidays. Great memories for me.

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Yea last time I was there they had a fire department a post office and 8 residents. I have since learned that it has been totally wrote off the map and everything is abandoned. Would love to go to the time capsule opening next year or 2015.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Thanks for the info. I have been to Centralia and did drive by the apple orchard. I did go through Catawissa. I was telling the little one that 20 people at their big roller coaster did not constitute a line when compared to other parks.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom