• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    What are the laws in PA (particularly York county area) about shooting on your own property?

I'm considering buying some acreage in the area and have noticed people shooting rifles on their property in the past...I'm wondering what the laws are and whether this is something I'll be able to do.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    There are no state prohibitions that I am aware of, you would want to check with the township or borough to see whether they had an ordinance about it.

Example, my township does not, but the township immediately north of me does.

You might find state restrictions about hunting on private land, but I'm assuming you are talking about plinking or target shooting.

jcpuskar

Jul 15, 2013
    Forest Hill, MD
    I could be wrong, but in many states, you cannot shoot a firearm within 150 yards of a residence without the owner's permission. I know this is true in Maryland.
    Get on PA's York County website.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    This is not true. In Maryland you may not HUNT within 150 yds of an occupied dwelling without permission. This doesn't apply to target shooting and such.

Really? I have a 3 acre plot in Carroll County and can shoot targets? What are the requirements for the backstop?

Sent from the Ether using TapaTalk 2

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    This is not true. In Maryland you may not HUNT within 150 yds of an occupied dwelling without permission. This doesn't apply to target shooting and such.

That's my understanding from visiting PAFOA for Pennsylvania as well...PA game commission prevents HUNTING within 150yds of an occupied dwelling, but target-shooting is "fair game", so long as your setup is safe and your rounds stay on your property.

I've gone to a couple of showings in rural areas and lots of these guys already have shooting benches set up in their yards. From what I understand, it's a different mentality there...not like here where just whispering the word "gun" brings down the jackboot brigade on you.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Really? I have a 3 acre plot in Carroll County and can shoot targets? What are the requirements for the backstop?

Sent from the Ether using TapaTalk 2

Yes, really. If its' not outlawed in county or local codes it's legal. No requirements written in the law for backstops. Do you want the government to make every decision for you?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

OP was asking about PA.

You are fine to shoot on your property in PA. I have land in PA and hunt, target shoot and much more:)

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    PA has the same 150 yd rule. Also no state prohibition on shooting. Local laws vary, same as here. If those 3 acres are in a sub division where it's not safe to shoot he'd best not try it or he'll risk endangerment charges. Even if legal, if someone isn't smart enough to figure out what's safe or legal, he shouldn't even be shooting.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Well, I've lived in the deep woods, the city, suburbia, and Carroll over my lifetime. Only time I shot on property was when I was surrounded by 50 acres of woods, otherwise on private property or the range. I did reread your post: I doubt anyone here on this forum "wants the government to make every decision for you". We're on the same side fella.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The rule of thumb for this is can you guarantee that all rounds will stay on your property? A solid hillside not a 6'x4' pile of dirt. Nothing is perfect but YOU are personally responsible for every round fired on YOUR property.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The biggest difference is the prevailing attitude. In most of Md , anyone hearing shooting in the distance will call 911 , and the PD will respond to "shots fired" . In most of Pa , it is accepted as normal part of life , and unremarkable.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Well I was looking at a house yesterday and heard someone a couple doors down bump-firing some semi-automatic rifle. Plus the previous owner had a concrete shooting bench in the back yard. So I guess I'd be good. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom