• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I tried searching and couldn't find anything specific.

My sister lives in Erie and I mentioned to her our desire to move out of Maryland (for many reasons) for retirement. PA will save me a considerable sum on income taxes. She told me to beware of certain school districts that levy an additional tax on top of everything else. I've heard of this but don't quite understand it.

We want to be no more than 2 hours drive from Frederick where family resides. So Harrisburg to the north, as far as Reading or Lancaster to the NE, maybe Bedford to the NW. Probably a large 1500-2000 sq foot rancher and a couple of acres.

Any ideas where these school taxes might be marginal? Thanks

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Generally speaking, you are fine as long as you don't venture TOO far East in Lancaster County. That being said, most of Chester County, particularity around the MD/DE line is insane with "School" taxes. Areas directly West and S/W of Philadelphia, West Chester, almost all of "Mushroom" county, etc.

If it were me, I'd concentrate my efforts in York Co, maybe as far as South Central Lancaster CO. Reading is a hike.....

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Generally speaking, you are fine as long as you don't venture TOO far East in Lancaster County. That being said, most of Chester County, particularity around the MD/DE line is insane with "School" taxes. Areas directly West and S/W of Philadelphia, West Chester, almost all of "Mushroom" county, etc.

If it were me, I'd concentrate my efforts in York Co, maybe as far as South Central Lancaster CO. Reading is a hike.....

Awesome, thanks for the guidance.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    State College, north of Harrisburg isn’t too bad. One thing is that school taxes change every year. May not have issues this year or next but have a developer come in and suddenly the need for a new school and more taxes. My dad had a house in Hellertown in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area for 45 years. School taxes got so high they were bumped out as a separate tax. Then there’s Borough tax, city tax, state tax, recycling tax. True Pennsylvania doesn’t tax retirement income but they get you other ways.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    You will save money if you have 10 Acres. Don't be to swayed with the tax rate, it can change.

If your saving money since they don't tax retirement, be happy.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I was thinking of moving back to Pennsylvania also but since my wife and I are now 65 we both get the Maryland senior tax credit and my military retirement exemption has gone up. Not 100% like Pennsylvania. Do we want to move back to “Free America”...hell yes! Someday!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Every township, boro and city publishes their school and property tax schedule and millage rates, they vary wildly, this is York's
    https://yorkcountypa.gov/property-taxes/assessment-and-tax-claim-office/assessment-information/millage-rates.html

For example, look at Lewisberry(near Roundtop) 1.6 property, 14.69 school vs York city `8.97 property, 33.74 school

So the tax on a $250K house in York City would be $2242/$8435, in Lewisberry would be $400/$3672. MD tax rates vary by locality too, but usually .7-1.5%.
    The property values in PA are generally lower, and in many cases two similar houses in comparable areas of PA and MD can be fairly close in actual tax burden. Depending on what you are looking for NW and SE York county is really nice, not as built up as the 83 and 30 corridors and York suburbs, you can find some places that have good property prices, low taxes, and are not far from civilization without being too busy.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    You will save money if you have 10 Acres. Don't be to swayed with the tax rate, it can change.

If your saving money since they don't tax retirement, be happy.

From a gross standpoint, it's about $3k on the income tax side of it. How much of that will be eaten by the add on taxes is the hard part to figure out. Just extra calculations for every property we visit.

Javo-J10

Dec 26, 2016
    Hanover, PA
    She may have been referring to the Occupational Assessment Tax that school districts can levy on their residents. Littlestown Area School District (Adams County) had this tax up until a couple years ago. You report your job title, they put you into a tax assessment category, then bill you annually...on top of the school district tax assessed for your property! Fortunately they got a tad smarter and dropped that add on tax and slightly raised the property tax...and reduced my annual complaining about it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    We were taxed to death in PA so we left. Per capita tax in more than one township, occupational school taxes, school tax alone was 6700 the first year (lived on the mountain) with a few millage increases on the house, Emt tax borough taxes, property tax which really wasn't too bad but then there was state sales tax, fuel tax not to mention motor vehicle taxes and probably a few more hidden taxes that I cant remember.
    Loved the house(s)and land though but being able to get a carry permit and being able to skip inspection on a landscaping trailer just wasn't enough to do it for me after about 8-9 years.
    One buck a year is what really pushed it over the top for me though lol.
    Others experience however may vary and good for them. The tell tell indicator will be if you have children and when they become enrolled in school you must provide the deed to your house before they can become enrolled. If you own a nice place, pucker up and get ready to bend over soon as that happens.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    So the tax on a $250K house in York City would be $2242/$8435, in Lewisberry would be $400/$3672.

I would never pay that. NEVER NEVER NEVER. That is confiscatory and ridiculous.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I looked on York, Lancaster, and Hanover. I thought the property taxes were rediculous. I am going to retire and they don't tax retirement. I'm not sure PA is better than MF from a tax perspective when you consider total burden.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Years ago, we lived in Shrewsbury Township, YORK county. Home to the Southern School District. The school district "controlled" the tax situation. Everytime they decided they needed more funds, the tax rate climbed automatically. Beware of townships/counties wherein the School District controls the Taxes.
    You will constantly hear that well worn phrase,..."It's for the children".... yea right!!!! Those who are Retired, usually have empty nests, and have little direct interest in schools and/or system that allow the school system to control taxes.......

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Any ideas where these school taxes might be marginal? Thanks
    I just moved from Manchester MD to Hanover PA and did a lot of research on this topic. Unlike MD, where you pay a county, state and federal income tax, here in PA the individual school districts can levy their own taxes. Some school districts are low and others can be very high. This is in addition to the property tax you would pay to your local municipality. I believe that PA does not have an income tax on retirement as well--You still have to pay the property taxes.

The short answer to your question is go to Zillow.com and look at the listings. Do a wide search and it will list both property tax and the school district tax on the individual listings.

That said, it's very hard to compare apples-to-apples from MD to PA. There are cost of living differences that are hard to quantify. My personal income tax went down 3% moving to PA. My property+school tax went up 100+% (from about $1800 to now $4,200. Other things though are cheaper, electricity, natural gas, trash, etc. Fuel for car is higher as they have the second highest gas tax in the country. Lucky for us, my wife and I both work in MD so we fill up there.

Overall I would say we are doing better financially. Getting my carry permit for $20 and 3 days was pretty nice too!

If you can, try to live in Adams county. They have cheaper taxes, fewer restrictions and no year vehicle emission test. That would be a pretty easy commute to Frederick. Good luck!

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    DE is cheaper for now. At work we get a bunch of PA, NY an NJ moving to DE for retirement.
    On average, our best estimates are showing a maximum yearly savings of $3600/year in select PA locations, and about $2300/year in DE just about anywhere not TOO close to the beach.

Across 12 months, the savings aren't extraordinary. But, we can save considerably on a mortgage, downsize a bit, and enjoy more firearm freedoms. And be closer to the beach in DE. We have shifted our search....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom