Is there a pennsylvania verson of MDshooters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Is there like a PA version of calguns or MDshooters where all the shooters get together and chat it up?

I'd like to check it out.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The PA group is a good groupan and informative site. What I find distracting is a tendency for signature lines to be several times longer that any of the actual posts. And this is a contributing factor to commonly having threads that run 20, 30,100 pages long.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I find the forum to be hard on the eyes and very distracting. I also find the community is full of boneheads and you really have to sort through garbage in order to get good info. It's not a terrible site but I still prefer MDshooters :D

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Hehe, thanks guys. I wasn't looking to choose one over the other. I had some PA specific questions about CCW processes in philly, other laws, general ineractions with the police, etc etc since I may be moving to philthadelhpia in a year or so.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Hehe, thanks guys. I wasn't looking to choose one over the other. I had some PA specific questions about CCW processes in philly, other laws, general ineractions with the police, etc etc since I may be moving to philthadelhpia in a year or so.

I'm not sure you can get a CCW in Philly. It all depends on the Sheriff and I'm sure Philly elects a real gun hater. Philly has also "banned" carry in city limits which is moot because of state law but they can still make your life hell.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

PA is going to require non resident applicants to appear in person. not sure of the start date. i know you can OC in Filthadelphia with a CCW. I assume the police will hassle you.

If you can get a permit., Centre County seems to be the preferred place to do it by mail while you can. If your home state issues permits, you need to submit a copy of that when you apply. Kind of leaves us Marylanders out.

Centre County LTCF

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I would think Lancaster/York County would be much easier to get to than Centre County.

I'm just passing on what i have seen others say. Centre County was very fast (less than a month) from what others have said. i have never heard York County mentioned for out of state applicants to use.

it's a moot point for those of us living in MD. We are S.O.L.

mythaeus

Trouble-maker Next Door
    Feb 5, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA

You will love Philly. It's a fantastic city with a lot of things to offer. I've been to 33 countries and 100+ cities and Philly is in my top 5 cities list.

We have state preemption in PA. Gun laws are made by the state, so Philly laws are as strict as the rest of PA, which is not too strict overall for the most part.

The few Philly-specific quirks are:
    1. There are a few minor ILLEGAL ordinances, including 24-hour reporting of lost and stolen guns.

2. State law prohibits you from open carry in a City of First Class without a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF, learn that term well, it's not a CCW, which means concealed carry weapon, it's not a concealed carry permit, but a license to carry). Philly is the only City of First Class (population of 1M or more).

3. It can take up to 10 weeks to get your LTCF in Philly, but it takes just as long in some other counties. The process is actually more tedious in Montgomery county where you have to do a lot of legwork. Unless you lie on the application or have prohibiting criminal records, you WILL get a LTCF.

4. When you go and pick up your LTCF, Philly will make you sign a paper that contains recommendations, some which are not legally required, and will hold you responsible for it. For example, if your gun is stolen out of your vehicle, you will lose your LTCF.

PA is going to require non resident applicants to appear in person. not sure of the start date. i know you can OC in Filthadelphia with a CCW. I assume the police will hassle you.

If you can get a permit., Centre County seems to be the preferred place to do it by mail while you can. If your home state issues permits, you need to submit a copy of that when you apply. Kind of leaves us Marylanders out.

Centre County LTCF

The police hassle OCers everywhere, inside Philly and outside of Philly. There are many reports that Philly cops just give you the look but don't harass you. I've been to 2 OC dinners in Philly where most people OC and no one said a thing. Remember, there are 6600 cops in Philly. You are bound to run into uninformed and ******* cops in larger number, but not necessarily in more percentage compared to the rest of the PA (where MANY OC incidents occured).

Sadly, as stated, you cannot obtain a PA LTCF without first having you home state's permit/license. You are better off going for a UT or FL permit if you are an OOS resident. I believe most counties, if not all, require you to apply there in person. Philadelphia and all of the surrounding counties do. Assuming the OP is moving to Philly and get residency there, this is not a concern.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom