Likely moving to the Philly area, could use some advice from people in the know!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Hey guys,

It is likely that within the next six months my fiance and I will be moving to the Philadelphia area. It is likely that I will be getting a job there, and my fiance will probably be going to grad school there.

Most of my questions are about where to live. The lady wants to live in the city. Personally I prefer a slightly more sub-urban or rural area, but I am not totally against living in the city. At least CCW is okay there.

We do not have a lot of money saved up and we can not afford to live in very rich areas, but we will be solid enough not to live in crap holes either. I do not necessarily prefer an apartment over a house at the present time. With the way mortgage rates are, and the way the housing market is, now might be a good time to buy a small place.

1. If we decide to live in the city, which parts of the city should we be looking at to live, and which places should we definitely avoid living? (Good areas vs bad areas.)

2. If we decide to live in the city, am I likely to find a small house with a yard somewhere, or am I almost certainly going to be looking for an apartment?

3. If we decide to live in areas outside of the city of Philadelphia but very close to it (no more than a 10-15 minute drive, preferably closer) where should we be looking?

4. Is PA pretty solidly pro-gun? I would be escaping one of the worst states for gun owners in the country (I will still support MSI and be involved), and I'd hate to move to a state that will go that direction in a few years. I know the state has gone blue the last few elections (not that that necessarily means anything for being solidly pro-gun or not.)

Much appreciate the help everyone!

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    IMO it's 99% cesspool and the other 1% you won't be able to afford. As far as guns go, Philly is like another state all to itself compared to the rest of PA. (In other words, you might as well stay in Maryland if you're moving to Philly.)

Do yourself a favor and stay the hell away from that place. If you have to move there for work/school, learn to deal with a commute and live as far outside of the city as possible.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    IMO it's 99% cesspool and the other 1% you won't be able to afford. As far as guns go, Philly is like another state all to itself compared to the rest of PA. (In other words, you might as well stay in Maryland if you're moving to Philly.)

Do yourself a favor and stay the hell away from that place. If you have to move there for work/school, learn to deal with a commute and live as far outside of the city as possible.

That bad, huh? Well, I'm not worried about Philly vs the State of PA when it comes to gun laws because I'm not going to be open carrying. I'll get my CCW permit and it won't be an issue, I would hope.

The entire city is that horrible? I have talked to friends of mine that loved living there.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    That bad, huh? Well, I'm not worried about Philly vs the State of PA when it comes to gun laws because I'm not going to be open carrying. I'll get my CCW permit and it won't be an issue, I would hope.

The entire city is that horrible? I have talked to friends of mine that loved living there.

I know you're a good bit younger than I am so there are probably places you may enjoy that I don't, but honestly, I don't know that any of it is worth dealing with the overall surroundings. There are some nice, high end areas but they are super-expensive. With what you're most likely to be able to afford with her in school, you'll probably be in rather uncomfortable surroundings.

You may like it but make sure you do a lot of research and spend some time there before you commit.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I hear that Broad Street is a nice area. Close to downtown, great diversity.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Not a big fan of Philly personally but like any other city it has its good and bad I'm sure. I just did a purchase loan for two close friends that moved to an area just outside of Philly to the north and they really like it. I'll check with them for some input if you like, they were in your boat a few years ago. His wife finished her masters and got a nice job as a research scientist up that way. Good luck on your move either way :)

Ryan

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Not a big fan of Philly personally but like any other city it has its good and bad I'm sure. I just did a purchase loan for two close friends that moved to an area just outside of Philly to the north and they really like it. I'll check with them for some input if you like, they were in your boat a few years ago. His wife finished her masters and got a nice job as a research scientist up that way. Good luck on your move either way :)

Ryan

I remember the area heading into Willow Grove as being really, really nice and then more modest as you got closer to Willow Grove.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    A very good friend of mine lives north of Philly in Hatboro, PA and used to commute into Philly pretty easily. It's a very blue collar area, lots of union jobs and people that used to have good paying union jobs. I've walked around there after dark and not felt concerned for my safety.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I remember the area heading into Willow Grove as being really, really nice and then more modest as you got closer to Willow Grove.

I grew up in that area in a small suburb called Baederwood/Jenkintown. It's North of the city off 611 but South of Willow Grove. It was gorgeous; stone houses & mature trees. I was able to walk & bike to high school (Abington) . Dad took the train to & from work every day so don't count out the suburbs. Philly has had a "metro" for decades.

I haven't been back there in years and I have no idea what it's like now.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I haven't been back there in years and I have no idea what it's like now.

We accidentally drove through there on the way to the Willow Grove NAS and were very impressed with the beauty of the homes. There were several what appeared to be high end shopping areas, so I presumed it to still be a nice area.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    We accidentally drove through there on the way to the Willow Grove NAS and were very impressed with the beauty of the homes. There were several what appeared to be high end shopping areas, so I presumed it to still be a nice area.

JUST WOW. I remember going to Willow Grove NAS with my mom, dad & sis to watch air shows and other exhibitions there.

Last edited:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    JUST WOW. I remember going to Willow Grove NAS with my mom, dad & sis to watch air shows and other exhibitions there.

We stayed at the Navy Lodge a couple of times because we couldn't find a decent room for a decent price downtown.

nicktide

Oct 23, 2012
    Avoid living in the city. They do not abide by the state's gun laws. IE. Pensylvania ccw does not apply in the city. They love to protect the guilty. You can't even own a stun gun. As you can imagine, their crime rate keeps going up and they cant figure out why.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    Philly is a great town. I'm a transplant from that area.

It IS a city though with the attendant problems any large city has.

In the city, Manayunk is an alright area and the area where Upenn and Drexel U are is OK (within about 4 blocks of campus).

East and South of Center City is pretty nice, but getting $$.

North of Center City is less $, but sketchy (I lived there in the 90's and with head-on-a-swivel mentality and not being outside after 10pm it was do-able)

Good luck (and Go Eagles/Phillies/Flyers/Sixers! :D)

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    Avoid living in the city. They do not abide by the state's gun laws. IE. Pensylvania ccw does not apply in the city. They love to protect the guilty. You can't even own a stun gun. As you can imagine, their crime rate keeps going up and they cant figure out why.

This is not correct. You can CCW in the city. It can even be with a permit from another state Pa. has reciprocity with. http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/36582-ccw-philadelphia.html

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick

In my experience, that pretty well sums it up. I have never seen a bigger town full of a-holes except possibly for Newark, but same difference.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I hear that Broad Street is a nice area. Close to downtown, great diversity.

Thanks, I will check them out.

A very good friend of mine lives north of Philly in Hatboro, PA and used to commute into Philly pretty easily. It's a very blue collar area, lots of union jobs and people that used to have good paying union jobs. I've walked around there after dark and not felt concerned for my safety.

Thanks, I'll look into that also!
    This is not correct. You can CCW in the city. It can even be with a permit from another state Pa. has reciprocity with. http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/36582-ccw-philadelphia.html

This. The thing that doesn't apply to Philadelphia is that you cannot open carry there without a CCW. If you don't have a CCW you can open carry everywhere in the state except Philadelphia. However, I will not open carry in Philadelphia even though it would be legal.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. Yeah, I would love to know what area they moved to and any feedback they might offer! Thanks.

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom