• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    Due to some circumstances with my job, it looks like I may be moving out near Pittsburgh in the future. I have a question for people who have done this. I have several regulated firearms registered in MD. What do I need to do to LEGALLY bring them to PA with me? Do I need to register in PA? Do I need to make the MSP aware that I am moving?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Due to some circumstances with my job, it looks like I may be moving out near Pittsburgh in the future. I have a question for people who have done this. I have several regulated firearms registered in MD. What do I need to do to LEGALLY bring them to PA with me? Do I need to register in PA? Do I need to make the MSP aware that I am moving?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Generic Answer. Search for an read the website for the PA state police regarding firearms. Generally PA laws a much easier then Maryland's. Although you have to be careful of there car transport laws although if you have been living under MD laws they will seem lax. Enjoy being able to buy firearms everything is cash and carry in PA. No crappy mag limits either.

Thanks
    Robert

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    Thanks guys. I am still going to continue fighting to knock down SB281 while I am here, just trying to stay ahead of things.

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    If any of your Maryland regulated firearms are long guns, they are just ordinary rifles up here in Pennsylvania. You are free to sell them to - or buy more of them from - your Pennsylvania resident neighbors or friends. No paperwork or fees or registration or waiting periods.

And if you want to buy a handgun once you move here, like rmiddle stated, you pass our instant check you walk out with your purchased handgun. There are rules for private party handgun sales, but there is no integral lock required, no handgun roster, no spent shell casing needed, no training certificate needed and no waiting period.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008

They are going to introduce one of these in probably at least half of the states in this country, whether it has a chance of passing or not. The PA Senate Judiciary Committee is mostly "R". I doubt this will have legs, especially considering the "no grandfather" aspect of it.

It's kind of like Feinstein's bill...it has no chance of getting past the House and probably little of getting passed through Harry Reid's Senate. But they throw it up there anyway to please their masters.

Maryland, though, is full of arrogant authoritarian "we know better than you" Democrats. I still think the jump to PA is a good one.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    I am from Pittsburgh, and my parents still live there. Keep your MD paper work for all you firearms as proof of purchase (legally)

1) I believe it is a 30 day residental waiting period then immediately get you CCW permit. PA is "SHALL ISSUE" The reason for CCW on the application is "SELF DEFENSE" put nothing else.

2) Once you have your PA CCW, it is an insta-check, cash and carry everything firearm not NFA.

3) Your wife can buy something for you and your can use it without putting it in your name.

4) Check were you can carry concealed on the PA LE website, and don't be afraid to call the State police.

5) Remember PA is a commonwealth so what ever laws are in Pittsburgh are the same laws in Philadelphia, Skookshinny, Indiana, Dubois, Erie get the point? Do not be fooled by local law enforcement especially Philadelphia.

6) Enjoy living in a truly free state. Becuase PA has the right balance of Dem's and Repub's

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    I am from Pittsburgh, and my parents still live there. Keep your MD paper work for all you firearms as proof of purchase (legally)

1) I believe it is a 30 day residental waiting period then immediately get you CCW permit. PA is "SHALL ISSUE" The reason for CCW on the application is "SELF DEFENSE" put nothing else.

There is no 30 waiting period, for anything. As soon as you get your PA driver's license (which you must do within 60 days) or state issued photo ID you can apply for your PA LTCF. As for the reason, there is no 'reason' required and you can check off any box you want. I checked every box there was and my license says PROTECTION. It's still there but it's irrelevant.

2) Once you have your PA CCW, it is an insta-check, cash and carry everything firearm not NFA.

This sounds misleading, maybe I'm reading it wrong? PA does their own system, PICS, which also references NICS. This has nothing to do with your PA LTCF. It is just as 'instant' and 'cash-and-carry' without a LTCF as this license has no bearing on firearms sales.

3) Your wife can buy something for you and your can use it without putting it in your name.

Correct. A transfer of either possession or ownership between spouses requires no paperwork or state permission or notification. PA has no registry, although the PSP does maintain a Record of Sale database for FFL transactions. Far too many LEOs think it is a registry and use it as such, incorrectly and illegally, which is why I state below, never ask a cop anything, unless you just want to be amused at the crap you will hear for an answer.

4) Check were you can carry concealed on the PA LE website, and don't be afraid to call the State police.

We have learned the hard way that the police in PA are the absolute worst source for legal information regarding the PA UFA. Read the statutes for yourself. There are numerous places to find them. Get signed up on PAFOA.org and PA2A.org (fwiw I have the same username on both forums), ask any questions you can think of and you will have answers backed by citations of statutes.

By the way, PA is also an open
    -state, just stay out of the car with it until you get your LTCF, except when moving to your new home, or going to the range, etc

5) Remember PA is a commonwealth so what ever laws are in Pittsburgh are the same laws in Philadelphia, Skookshinny, Indiana, Dubois, Erie get the point? Do not be fooled by local law enforcement especially Philadelphia.

Again, somewhat misleading. Everything you have there is correct EXCEPT Philadelphia, and the biggest (and only one I can think of at the moment) is that open-carry in Philly requires a PA LTCF or license/permit from a reciprocal state. Probably not a big deal for a Pittsburgh area resident, I just wanted to post the corrections, "for the record".

6) Enjoy living in a truly free state. Becuase PA has the right balance of Dem's and Repub's

I wish. The city anti-gun types are really making their presence known and they are multiplying, which is why BHO won PA, and it's how we ended up with an ultra-liberal anti-gun Attorney General. Look us up, get involved, we can use you and we're glad to have you. ;)

My responses in blue.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    Thanks guys for all your help. I am still waiting to hear about my job. Not that I didn't want to move to PA to begin with, but the replies certainly helped make me enthusiastic about it. I may be slightly disappointed if it falls through now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom