• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cummins2003

Jun 4, 2012
    Howard County
    How far back does the PA state police check for a background check when purchasing a regulated firearm?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    We use PICS, works similar to NICS, but is a state program that satisfies the requirement, although it is easier to challenge if there is a mistake, and you are wrongly denied, and they can take up to 15 days to research if a reccord may be prohibited instead of 3 days for NICS. For long guns(no such thing as regulated long guns), you simply fill out a 4473, the shop calls PICS, and you walk out with your gun. With handguns, you have the same 4473/pics, but there is an additional single page "reccord of sale", it isn't called registration because state law prohibits registration, but that basically is what it is, although you still get your gun the same day. Sheriffs also use PICS for permit checks, the info is fed/state/local reccords, prohibited persons are added by various agencies, they don't looks at reccored within a specified time, they look to see if you were added for a prohibiting reason, might have been last week, might have been 50 years ago.

Cummins2003

Jun 4, 2012
    Howard County
    The system in PA is very different of that in MD and seems to be a must better system. I'm still a little confused about the answer to my question. So ill put it out there, i was denied a handgun in MD because of a misdemeanor when i was 15, now 26. Now MSP say i have to wait until i'm 30 before i can buy a handgun in MD. (because that's when they stop looking at your record any further back than 18) But i plan on moving to PA in the next year or two. So my question is will this misdemeanor keep me from purchasing a handgun in PA?

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    You should be fine... In most states your juvenile record has no real effect on anything past your 18th birthday. Its just another way for md to deny people firearms rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom