• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    My wife and I are talking about selling our house. Was planning to move to Fallston or parts north of there. Since MD is going down the crapper fast I wanted to know what you all think of PA. I like Lancaster County but have had a friend say that the Illegals have taken over a lot of that county. Just wanted some opinions.

I read on another thread that PA was a state to avoid along with MD. Most I have talked to say PA is much better with regard to firearms and such. Please let me know. Don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. Only real painful thing I have heard about is the school tax.

Vic

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    The fella and I have been looking at PA off and on for about a year -- not just because of MD's politics, but because he's getting ready to retire, I'm commuting from Annapolis to Owings Mills 4-5 times a week, and a lot of things are nicer and cheaper in PA. You do have to be *very* careful about where you buy because the school tax can vary so much, but the income tax rates are lower and they don't tax retirement income at all. Gas tax *was* higher in PA, but not after MDs new taxes come into effect. Sales tax is the same.

Because of where I work, we were looking in York and Adams more than Lancaster. But I have friends who live in Lancaster and while it may be worse there than it used to be, it doesn't sound like it's anything like as bad as most of the MD counties that are considered fairly normal, like Charles, Anne Arundel, or Calvert.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Good luck! Our family has discussed the same thing.

However, keep in mind PA may not be the "grass is greener" destination forever. It's been moving to the left for years now. It's bordered on three sides by anti states. Philly and other growing urban, liberal areas are increasingly deciding how the rest of the state lives. Still better than living in the People's Republic of Maryland but I'm not sure I'd pick it for the long haul.

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Nothing to add other then I am quite fond of the area. Except for downtown Lancaster..... saw one of those fisher price red and yellow plastic cars up on blocks with no wheels in an alley on my last visit lol.

Edit: Watch out for Lebanon Levi. I hear he runs Lancaster with a iron fist.........

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    Born and raised in PA (Lehigh Valley area)...we would not move back...probably just personal bias. PA does seem to treat seniors better, so it might be an OK retirement desitination...although the weather is crappy. Traditional retirees move south.

Texas is looking good...low taxes, gun-friendly, warm weather -- and there's the potential it may secede!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If there is a Utopia of freedom, I haven't found it, but southern PA is better than most. It's hard to find a good mix of fun and freedom, some places that have low taxes and few laws are remote without much to do within an hours drive. Localities can make or break you up here, taxes, ordinances and services vary wildly from locality to locality. There are "millage" charts that show the differences, some like York city will have up to 3 times the property tax of other localities. The state taxes aren't bad because most daily things are funded by counties and localities. The cost of living is lower, and you have a lot more small local buisnesses than MD. There is a lot to do, and plenty of stores, restraunts and activities around, but you still have farms, hiking trails, and a lot of nice parks.

The gun culture is good, and the laws are better in PA than most other states. Permits are easy and cheap, there are few places off limits, and lots of local ranges to join, the gun rights community is active. Where York is good for blue collar families with lots of fun for little money, Lancaster is kinda ritzy, Haven't really seen huge immigration issues, but big malls, more crowded, and more bad neighborhoods in the city. York and Lancaster are only about 15 minutes apart, and I spend a lot of time in both. We are very happy up here, and the more time you spend in PA, and the more you get used to the culture, the more you enjoy it.

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    I live in Rising Sun, the only reason I bought in MD was the schools are better here. I spend most of my time in PA/DE cause I try not to contribute financially to the problem if at all possible. I thought about moving and decided I would at the very least wait until 2014 and see what happens politically.

Lancaster is exactly as you imagine it, over-run by illegals.

My recommendation is Solanco (southern Lancaster County), it is beautiful and very rural. Mostly Amish if you can stand getting stuck behind buggys. I like the Amish markets, and do most of my grocery shopping at Maplehofes.

Stay out of the peach bottom area, and more to the east. Oxford, Lincoln University. To far east and it starts to get very yuppy and very expensive right near the DE border. Good luck, it's a beautiful, conservative area with some Great sportsman clubs ( I belong to SLCSFA).

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    I've been in Stewartstown area now for 7 years, my wife and I moved here b/c she works in York & I work in Churchville. I didn't know the benefits at the time, but now being a gun owner I would not move back to MD. I don't really agree w/ the direction MD is heading and has been heading for while, so I don't believe that even though we considered moving back to MD, that I ever would. This is also because my parents want to move out of MD as well, because of the politics.

In gun terms, there have been politicians lobbying for stricter gun laws in PA, but they are equally balanced, and if not more outbalanced by those that want to see no change in the gun laws. Laws are being proposed that will make any new federal laws regarding firearms and such unenforceable in PA. Up until the Newtown shootings, they were even going to try and make a run at constitution carry similar to Vermont (I believe). I see people on a semi-regular basis carry firearms, both concealed and non, and I do the same myself, when not in MD.

So there's my opinion on it....take it or leave, but it's there.

rotag

Mar 9, 2012
    pasadena
    Born and raised in PA (Lehigh Valley area)...we would not move back...probably just personal bias. PA does seem to treat seniors better, so it might be an OK retirement desitination...although the weather is crappy. Traditional retirees move south.

Texas is looking good...low taxes, gun-friendly, warm weather -- and there's the potential it may secede!

Second on Texas, hopefully soon.....

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I like PA. There seems to be a lot to do and see up there. The gun culture is great, with lots of master muzzleloader builders in the state. WV seems to be the place to go for even fewer gun restrictions. But not as much to do culturally in WV.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Dont trust PA......entirely. I have back-up plans there because I have properties already and deep family ties.

However, the state is being sucked down by Pittsburgh (with respect) that is becoming like Austin in Texas as the tech corridor opens up and we all know what Philadelphia is like. The red streaks in the middle and north and central south run deep but it can only last so long before it becomes like NY, dominated by the desires of controling urban interests.

Hence my tertiary plan is WV or TX.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    My wife and I are talking about selling our house. Was planning to move to Fallston or parts north of there. Since MD is going down the crapper fast I wanted to know what you all think of PA. I like Lancaster County but have had a friend say that the Illegals have taken over a lot of that county. Just wanted some opinions.

I read on another thread that PA was a state to avoid along with MD. Most I have talked to say PA is much better with regard to firearms and such. Please let me know. Don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. Only real painful thing I have heard about is the school tax.

Vic

PA is definitely better for 2A issues and homes prices tend to be a little less, but property taxes can bite into what you save in purchase price. I have had many clients leave for PA, only to come back because taxes were too high. For a home selling for $350,000 taxes were in the $7,000-$9,000/year range. This may vary from county to county, but they are high.

Quite honestly, IMO, if you are moving due to the political climate in MD, then I would move a little further than PA. I would move south, where weather is better, you are not surrounded by liberal nanny states on all sides and the weather is better. Did I mention that the weather is better the farther south you go?

If you need any help or advice, feel free to give me a call.

racer79

n00b
    Jan 24, 2013
    Northern MD
    Just to echo and recap

Watch what area for school/property tax
    Real estate tends to be cheaper
    Something not mentioned: while tax rate is the same (6%), Pa doesn't tax food and clothing

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    I would move south, where weather is better, you are not surrounded by liberal nanny states on all sides and the weather is better. Did I mention that the weather is better the farther south you go?

This is an opinion not universally held, ya know. We're both skiers (Frank is PSIA Level 2) and we're also looking seriously at New Hampshire. ;)

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Wife and I have been looking at southeast PA for many of the same reasons listed.

--no taxes on retirement income;
    --no taxes on clothes and food; closer to Del so could do much of the rest of tax-free shopping there
    --better gun culture
    --less crime, less population density, better lifestyle
    --more rural in general, and S. PA is slow to change
    --still close to family here in the Balto area

My understanding about the school tax is that it is related to the size of the property. Haven't confirmed that, but larger property = larger tax, hence smaller property = smaller tax, and yes the tax may vary from district to district. If anyone knows more specifically about that please clarify.

Bottom line, for retirees, PA is rated high for retirement living; certainly better than MD (most everything is better than MD). We'll be leaving soon.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County

Vic

I grew up in PA, but in Delaware County. We did a good deal of hunting in Chester and Lancaster Counties when I was younger. Chester County had more of the illegals due to the fact that it had the most mushroom farms. They hire them out the wazoo and it seems like it has only gotten worse over the years. With that said, I don't see it being any worse than some of the areas in MD and you get the added benefits of better 2A laws there. If I could move back and somehow manage my commute to DC I would have already done so by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom