• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Constable insurance? WTF is that? They have to carry insurance to do their jobs? Seems ridiculous.

I'm not up on the PA system, but from what I know, a Constable is like a Sheriff but at the state level, right?

Rblakely

Jun 14, 2013
    York, PA
    Constable insurance? WTF is that? They have to carry insurance to do their jobs? Seems ridiculous.

I'm not up on the PA system, but from what I know, a Constable is like a Sheriff but at the state level, right?

Constable is an odd thing here in PA. It is an elected position with some LE powers. The only required thing a constable must do is provide security at the polls on Election Day. They can serve warrants for the Magisterial court if they want at $40 paid per warrant. They must provide and pay for their own car with cage, insurance, uniforms and gun if they choose to carry one. The only real reason anyone does it is because it is recognized as a LE position and provides the same multi state carry benefits of any other LEO

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    In PA, constables are elected at the local level, 1 per voting ward, so a medium sized town could have several. They can serve warrants, etc like the sheriff. They also have some arrest powers, and are responsible for "protecting the polls" on election days. The sheriff is elected at the county level and works for the county court. The constables work for the district courts. While they have to be elected in the ward where they live, I believe they can work for any district court willing to give them work.

There is both class room and firearms training required before an elected constable can work for the courts. 40 hours on continuing ed is also required, per year.

Now, as far as insurance, there's this:
    44 Pa.C.S.A. § 7142. Conduct and insurance. said:
    (b) Liability insurance.--Every constable and deputy constable must file with the clerk of courts proof that he has, currently in force, a policy of professional liability insurance covering each individual in the performance of his judicial duties with a minimum coverage of $250,000 per incident and a minimum aggregate of $500,000 per year. The Constables' Education and Training Board shall immediately investigate and implement the most cost-effective method of achieving liability insurance for constables and deputy constables under this subsection.

Braxtonian

Dec 10, 2010
    Greencastle, PA
    While they have to be elected in the ward where they live, I believe they can work for any district court willing to give them work.

There is both class room and firearms training required before an elected constable can work for the courts. 40 hours on continuing ed is also required, per year.

Now, as far as insurance, there's this:

They have to be elected locally, whether it be township, borough, or ward of a city. They can work for any district court in any county willing to give them work. The work they can perform for the courts are warrants, including arrest warrants, evictions (referred to as landlord/tenant), courtroom security, prisoner transport, among others.

In order to perform work for the courts, there is 80 hours of classroom training to be passed. In order to carry a firearm while performing work for the courts, there is an additional 20 hours as well as a background check IIRC. Also, in order to perform work for the courts, and in order to register for the firearms class, they must meet the aforementioned liability insurance requirement as well as get bonded.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Isn't PA an open carry state? If he didn't have a permit, then he could have just open carried and been legal.

PA is an "open carry" state only as long as you leave your house on foot and walk everywhere. No travel by any kind of conveyance.

I'd love to see a constable carrying a prisoner piggy-back to the jail. :party29:

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    PA is an "open carry" state only as long as you leave your house on foot and walk everywhere. No travel by any kind of conveyance.

I'd love to see a constable carrying a prisoner piggy-back to the jail. :party29:

CCWs in PA are thankfully shall issue. This guy, being a LEO for all intents and purposes, should have had no problem getting one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom