• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RLBosley

In Christ Alone
    Dec 14, 2012
    Middle River
    The Wife and I are currently renting in the paradise of Glen Burnie, MD and are seriously considering vacating this crap state all together. Southern PA looks nice especially since we want some land.
    Now the problem is work;

So in your opinion would living in a actually free state be worth the drive to Odenton, MD every work day?

Does anyone make this run?

How bad would the traffic be?

plasty

Jan 8, 2013
    Ellicott City
    The drive can be harsh if during a "9-5" workday. Assuming you are coming from directly North, I-83 is the main roadway. It can be brutal coming towards the city, then around the beltway. Going back is miserable as well. I guess one could come by way of Westminster, etc. and bypass the city beltway area, if lived out further west.

Consider that more than half of your time will still be in Maryland (either working or driving).

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    We investigated a move to southern PA. We both work in Baltimore. She's on the west side and I'm on the east side. We decided that the cost and time of the commute was not worth it.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    We looked into it as well. Couldn't make the math work with gas prices, taxes and time in traffic. My employer has a few satellite offices around the country so we opted for a transfer. Out before the new laws and gas taxes kick in I hope.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's holy hell if you mean I-83, I-695, and I-97 for "normal" working hours. You'll be looking at 3-4 hours of driving per day. You would be better off getting an affordable apartment somewhere near work and not driving to/from PA every day. The fuel savings alone can pay for the apartment, especially if you don't drive an economy car.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Va. might be a better choice. There is a MARC train station in Odenton. I have never ridden the MARC but lots of DC workers come to town from WVA using it.

RLBosley

In Christ Alone
    Dec 14, 2012
    Middle River
    Va. might be a better choice. There is a MARC train station in Odenton. I have never ridden the MARC but lots of DC workers come to town from WVA using it.

We've thought about that. But the church we are members of is just east of Baltimore in Middle River. We don't want to leave the church and we REALLY don't want to drive that far every Sunday morning.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Think out of the box. Catch a southbound train in Perryville or Aberdeen just 10 or 15 miles from Pennsylvania boarder or from Delaware.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You can calculate in black and white comparitive real estate prices , taxes , and costs per mile traveled. Quality of school districts can be partially quantified. Quality of life and personal freedom are subjective and non-monetary. It's a safe bet that Pa, Va , and DE all have Churches.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    The drive can be harsh if during a "9-5" workday. Assuming you are coming from directly North, I-83 is the main roadway. It can be brutal coming towards the city, then around the beltway. Going back is miserable as well. I guess one could come by way of Westminster, etc. and bypass the city beltway area, if lived out further west.

Consider that more than half of your time will still be in Maryland (either working or driving).

Dont come down through Westminster Rt.97. Man we got to much damn traffic now from PA.

Rblakely

Jun 14, 2013
    York, PA
    I work in Baltimore and live in York. During the summer (schools out) my commute is about 75 mins in the morning, all on 83. I am less than one mile from 83 at home and run 83 all the way into the city (I work in Canton). The afternoon is a crap shoot as getting out of the city can be a pain. This evening it took me 50 mins to get from my office on the Canton/Dundalk border to 83. My wife still goes to Harford County every Sunday for church. After I did all the math the move was still worth it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom